Graham/Rockbridge

GHS89

First off, before anything gets out of hand, both teams tried to win on the scoreboard and Graham lost. As expected, numerous sophomores and juniors were used by Graham, and it showed in some blown defensive plays. Graham will be fine if the veterans start playing with the intensity of the rookies and the rookies start gaining the experience of veterans. The most confident, in your face, players (with the exception of Henderson), seemed to be the underclassmen. We'll see what happens after another week of practice, but tonight's Graham team is not positioned to whip Bluefield. I would expect Bluefield to bring something like what Rockbridge had, a small line, a more than talented quarterback, and a multi-member good hands crew. Graham is not ready to stop anyone's passing game,.,.,yet. I would think Graham will be digging deep into the pool of available young talent to remedy this. Graham's offense is capable, but stutters. I saw several rotations going on with the line, so things can continue to develop. Henry started slow, but proved he is effective when he runs straight ahead. I think Graham is still missing a big play back, and that that also may come from the ranks of the younger players. It will be interesting to see what happens next week if Graham realizes that they can be strong between the tackles and pounds on Bluefield the whole game. At this point I give a slight advantage to Bluefield because of the potential damage that Coeburn to Perdue can do through the air.

[ QUOTE ]

At this point I give a slight advantage to Bluefield because of the potential damage that Coeburn to Perdue can do through the air.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think Coeburn to Perdue through the air isn't the biggest of Graham's worries. It's the Coeburn/Davis connection and even QS. Perdue isn't used very much in the passing game. I have a feeling Davis is going to get many passes thrown his way this season and he should.

Next Friday night should be a close nip and tuck battle decided in the closing minutes. It's Beaver/Graham, would you expect anything less?

I agree with most but the safety that was beat on the t.d. passes was a sophmore, he played the run great but lacks experience on pass plays. The line looked good at times, bad at times, but they were switching a lot of different players in and out.

Henry is the go to back but they need to get the other backs more involved, they have speed in Napper and Brown if they get a chance and Matthews is inconsistent.

So after everyones concerns about how well Graham did or did not play, remember that this was only a scrimmage and Carlock played it as a scrimmage, they will be a different team when there are 10,000 screaming fans in the stands, and they will be a different team when Bluefield stands on the field.

Good luck to both teams as i think it will be a "barn burner"

Ok start off with... I am from Graham. Can I say what happened tonight. First off Kevin M. throwing interceptions left and right. The lack of Defense from the D that was suppost to be the leading factor of this years team. If that is the strongest point of the team this year... All I gotta say is see yall next year. To correct some of you, those players being played this year is the players that I promise you will be played Friday. Graham is going with the youth, the seniors are not going to be a big factor this year because they are geting the younger ones more experience so that Graham won't "suck" in the next two years. Im going to be interested next week to see who has the worst team cause I must say neither graham or beaver showed much in their last scrimmages of the season. As for the SWD title, I hate to say this it aint coming back home to Graham...

In my honest opinion bluefield and graham scrimmaged 2 quality football teams in pc and rockbridge county. Neither team has anything to be concerned about the quality of football teams they will likely have, rather than a matter of which team will be the worst, in my opinion it's still simply a matter of which team will be the best.

Graham will have a more uphill battle likely facing bigger teams in the va. aa ranks this season, bluefield will likely have it easier and easier in wv, "overall", not every game, until the playoffs.

Credit pc and rockbridge for having what seem to be good, strong football teams.

Come on folks, some of you are getting way to caught up in a couple of scrimmage games. Both teams do need to improve, but every team does. The improvement will start this Friday night. As I've said all summer, Graham needs to learn how to play without Bradshaw there to make the big play. It'll take them some time to adjust to not having him, but they've got kids capable of making plays.

Bluefield's offensive will fair much better against everyone on their schedule as well. PC was really big on the line, but they were also very quick at LB and in the secondary. No team Bluefield faces this year has that combo, Beckley will probably be the closest. Bluefield has a ton of offensive weapons it's just a matter of making the holes for them. Additionally, Bluefield has an air attack this year and a very effective one at that. I just hope they choose to use it.

To improve on the Graham side what I think needs to be done is use more seniors. Carlock has totally broken down the offensive line and there is only 1 senior on the whole line when you got three or four more senior linemen that could be used as an asset but he is choosing as I said to use the younger guys to get them more experience but its going to end up hurting Graham in the long run for this year atleast. Carlock is not letting this senior class shine, majority of the senior class are all experienced and have played since first day of freshmen season. They have put in their dues and its their time. But its just politics there I guess he would rather have the future teams looking better than this one.

I think the best player should play and that seems to be happening. No offense to any of the seniors, but the underclassmen are more intense and play harder. It seems to me that it was the seniors who were getting burned in the secondary. But I don't want to get in an argument about who is better, they are all a team and I'm sure the coaching staff is going to put the best players out there, whether it be a senior or a sophomore... The only time people think there's "politics" being played is when it's personal to them. Graham's defense needs to step up next week against Bluefield, or they may get blown out, that's my opinion.

again it was a scrimmage and was played as a scrimmage, i have never seen that many players coming in and out of a game for graham before, as for the young players, i agree that seniors should get their chance but if a younger player is better then he should be the starter.

And do you really think carlock is giving up on this season to play younger players? NOT. Its hard to believe all the people are this upset over a scrimmage game. Come friday night Carlock will field the best team he can, win or lose it will be the best players that he has.

[ QUOTE ]

To improve on the Graham side what I think needs to be done is use more seniors. Carlock has totally broken down the offensive line and there is only 1 senior on the whole line when you got three or four more senior linemen that could be used as an asset but he is choosing as I said to use the younger guys to get them more experience but its going to end up hurting Graham in the long run for this year atleast. Carlock is not letting this senior class shine, majority of the senior class are all experienced and have played since first day of freshmen season. They have put in their dues and its their time. But its just politics there I guess he would rather have the future teams looking better than this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I played for Glenn Carlock when he was at BHS (yes that means I am an old fart) but I can tell you one thing.

Glenn is gonna play his best players, period. He is not gonna get caught up in politics, year in school or any of the other things you mentioned. You don't get the kind of football program that Bluefield and Graham have by playing anything less than your best athletes.