Bluefield vs. Oak Hill Acadamey

bluefieldRocks

[ QUOTE ]

well it looks like they have some athletes thats for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA they do...but im sure bluefield does too. but that #5 he's there best athlete he had a few dunks when we (carroll)played them. one of his dunks he jumped from about a foot inside the free throw line cocked his arm back and dunked the crap outta the ball (oh yea and it was over our 6'4" center jared strickland and he foulded him). he had an alley-oop on the very first play of the game. the team can shoot good too but there definitley beatable nowhere near as good as the gold team

bluefield lost 80-79 in OT, heck of a game blfd battled and led most of the night, lots of dunks by the red team and blfd had a couple of their own by ansel ponder, i felt like in OT that a couple of calls really went against blfd one charge that was called a block on chance was just terrible, but anyway the boys battled, and it should be a good tune up for the upcoming playoffs

That was a great game!!! Bluefield has now lost its 3rd game, BUT those three losses are by a total of 4 points. I am looking forward to Charleston!!! Tonight was a great test, which will only help in the long run!!!

I hated that BHS lost, but the first half of the game was the best I've ever seen BHS play in any year. They couldn't miss, especially Dexter, who ended with 32, and the intensity level was the kind you see in the state tournament. And all of this after playing two straight road games. What an effort, easily the best game I've seen all year

He dunked for the first two baskets. The first was a good one hander with some authority, the other was a one-hander but no very hard. Some guy from Oak Hill, #5, he dunked like five or six times, even did a two-handed double pump

Bluefield is really beginning to gel as a team and is finding depth in harris, casey, and cponder.... hopefully they ll be peaking in the next few tough games to end the season, mt.view, logan, princeton, oakhill. this years tournament is gonna be intense.

Once again, the beavers streak of getting up big and letting there opponents come back continues....Jeez

and i didnt realize all 3 of there losses have been on saturdays...

------------------------------------------------------------

BLUEFIELD  The Saturday jinx continues for the Beavers.

The Oak Hill Academy Red team rallied from an 11-point halftime deficit to defeat Bluefield 80-79 in overtime on Saturday night at Bluefield State College.

The action began fast and furious. The Beavers scored first on a fastbreak dunk by Ansel Ponder. Oak Hill then tied it on a slam dunk by DeShawn Mitchell. Oak Hill forced ties at 4 and 7 before Bluefield moved ahead 13-9 on a trey by Dexter Moore with 2:25 to play in the first.

Ponder’s inside basket gave the Beavers a 21-19 lead, but Mitchell’s basket with seven seconds to go in the quarter tied things at 21.

The frantic pace continued in the second period. Moore took control offensively for the Beavers, and the Bluefield defense was strong, forcing turnovers and blocking shots as the Beavers moved to an 11-point lead, 50-39 at halftime.

Oak Hill stormed back in the third on threes by D.J. Murray and Kyle Church and two spectacular dunks by Mitchell closed the gap to four at 58-54 with 2:42 remaining in the quarter. The Beavers held a 62-57 lead going into the final eight minutes.

OHA tied the game at 64 on a Church basket in the paint with 5:17 to play in regulation. They took the lead with 3:53 to lead and the Beavers tied it on a 3 by Moore with 2:10 left. Ponder’s bucket underneath put Bluefield up 72-70, but Church’s drive and basket with 4:5 seconds ticks on the clock knotted the game at 72 and forced overtime.

Bluefield took the early OT lead 76-72 as both Moore and Ponder sank two free throws apiece. A Justin Harris basket with 1:50 left gave the Beavers a 78-73 lead.

Oak Hill came back and with 38:5 seconds left, Johnny Davis made a three-point play the old-fashioned way to tie the game at 78. Ponder made one of two free throws with 26 seconds left to give the Beavers a 79-78 lead.

Church scored the game-winning points on a drive and layup with 4:2 seconds remaining in the extra period.

The Beavers (14-3), who are now 0-3 on Saturday’s, hosts Mount View Friday night at Bluefield State College

[ QUOTE ]

So...

Gold team- 1st team with all the good ass players

Red Team- 2nd team with some good palyers

JV team- self-explanitory

Oak Hill has 3 teams with the red team being their youngest players....but as you can tell they can ball .......most of those kids were sophmores

Is that correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me see if I can explain this...

Oak Hill Gold Team - This is the team that is always #1 in the Nation and plays a "national" schedule. They are loaded with D1 kids that more than likely will be in the NBA in a couple of years.

Oak Hill Red Team - Still a very talented team made up of some very good players that wanted to be on the Gold Team but just weren't quiet good enough, plus a couple of "regular Joe" students at Oak Hill Academy. Many of these kids will go to college on basketball scholarships, just not at the D1 level. This is the team that plays your "local" high school teams. Their first team is very good and and gets a majority of the playing time against the better high school teams, like Bluefield, among others. When they go up against "lesser" opponents, the first teamers will see limited playing time and back-ups will get a majority of the minutes "to make it a ball game" with some of these "not-so-good" teams.

Oak Hill JV Team - Same as the "Red Team" but as with any "JV" team, made up of 9th and 10th graders.

I hope that helps clear things up about OHA...

[ QUOTE ]

I've never saw a "regular joe" basketball team like the OH red team that could throw down so many dunks....

There deffinetly above average, thats for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read...notice that I said their starters are very talented. I didn't say they were all "average Joe's", only some of them. They are the ones who get a bulk of the playing time when they go up against the likes of PikeView, or any other "lesser" teams. Good teams, like Bluefield, get to face the "near D-1 talent" on the team...