Predictions for Bluefield Vs. Woodrow

Beaver_Pride

Bluefield has played well the first two weeks, but they've got to take it up a notch and play even better this week. I was surprised at how badly P. South defeated Beckley on Friday night and I'm sure the Eagles will be looking to atone for that poor performance.

i know john lilly well, this will be sort of a homecoming for him as he will have alot of family and friends on hand to see how he does. however i give the edge to the beavers speed by a score of 24-14; the beavers will have to play 4 quaters for the first time this season

No numerical prediction from me. All that I will say is that if Bluefield comes out playing hard, they shouldn't have a problem winning this one. It will by no means be a Princeton or Graham game, but Bluefield has a clear advantage in my eyes.

i agree if they jump on the eagles early and fast they can win the game. the only thing i am worried abou tis the rain we are supposed to be getting this week. woodrow has a big team and everyone knows hogs like mud. i hope the rain dosent slow down the beavers.

From what I have seen the past couple of weeks, Bluefield should win this one easily.

There are two main problems I see with Beckley. The first thing is the lack of a pass defense. If the opposing team can throw the ball at all, Beckley is in big trouble. The pass defense is fairly non existant.

The second thing is the double wing offense is getting smothered. All Beckley does is run the ball, every team they play puts 8 or 9 in the box, and Beckley still tries to run. It's obviously getting very easy and been very easy the last couple of years for opposing teams to figure Beckley's offense out. When are they gonna spread it out and and start throwing the ball some?? They are gonna have to do this to open up the running game some. Beckley is completely one dimensional and it is hard to have a good football team like that.

To a lesser extent, while Beckley is a little faster than last season, they still aren't as quick as you would think they should be. I see the quick teams out there like Bluefield really hurting them with their speed. I don't think the line is as good as some of the lines of the last few years either.

There are definitely a lot of concerns for this Beckley football team especially playing teams like Parkersburg South, Bluefield, Morgantown, and Cabell Midland which I think will all be losses. At this point, the best I see Beckley going is 5-4 which may be good enough to sneak into the playoffs. They could easily have a losing record too with a loss to Spring Valley or Princeton on the road.

I really think Bluefield will take it to Beckley bad with their balanced attack and quickness on offense. Bluefield's defense will smother Beckley's one dimensional running game too. I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets out of hand and gets ugly real quick. I don't see Bluefield being challenged until the Martinsburg game.

Well for the first time in a long time, maybe ever, can anyone honestly say Bluefield can really hurt a team passing the football. Coeburn has always had the arm strength, but his accuracy has been inconsistent. This year though, his accuracy has been great thus far and the composure he has shown in the pocket is what you would expect a three-year starting QB to have. He’s 20-28 passing with 374 yards and 4 touchdowns (no interceptions) and has yet to play an entire game.

Additionally, what can you say about Mike Davis? The kid is true receiver in every aspect of the word. He has great hands, speed, natural ability, and true knowledge of the position. In two games he has made at least five catches that has left the people in the stands shaking their head and wondering how he did it. Against Princeton Friday night even the Princeton players threw their hands up a couple of times after he made catches having no clue how he did it.

The 34-yard diving catch he made at the 1-yardline in the first quarter Friday night was stunning. It looked as if the ball was badly overthrown and Davis had no chance to even get to the ball. However, he turned on the jets, lay completely out while running full speed, made the diving catch, and held onto the ball. You don’t see many NFL receivers capable of making plays like that, much less high school kids. If the kid had anymore size (height) he would be getting D1 looks, but you don’t see many 5’9†receivers on the D1 level.

I realized I rambled on here, but I just got started rolling and couldn’t stop (lol). Anyway, if Beckley cannot defend the pass then they’ll be in trouble Friday night b/c Bluefield will throw all night. Nevertheless, I do expect Beckley to come out and be ready to play, so Bluefield had better be ready to do the same.

Regardless beckley still has size and speed, and bluefield should be ready for a close game if they have to be. They have to play hard every game, I can't emphasize that enough.

"The 34-yard diving catch he made at the 1-yardline in the first quarter Friday night was stunning. It looked as if the ball was badly overthrown and Davis had no chance to even get to the ball. However, he turned on the jets, lay completely out while running full speed, made the diving catch, and held onto the ball."

I actaully have a photo of that, not the best quality, I wasn't ready for it, but I'll post it on the bluefield '04 album in a few. Looks like he leaped around the 5, you can see some of the ball in the top of the photo. It was an exceptional reception.

He also excelerated quickly and made a reception on a pass that looked way overthrown in maybe the graham game, or maybe it was princton, going the other way towards the scoreboard.

I posted it on another album, it's at

bluefield's '04 highlights

2 games really surprised me last Friday. One was the one at James Monroe, and the other was how bad Beckley got whipped. I hear weather could be a factor, but unless Bluefield has some turnovers, I think Bluefield wins by 10-15 points. Beckley still has a lot of work to do, but is a goog enough team to pull of the upset if Bluefield comes out flat.

[ QUOTE ]

the double wing offense is getting smothered. All Beckley does is run the ball, every team they play puts 8 or 9 in the box, and Beckley still tries to run. It's obviously getting very easy and been very easy the last couple of years for opposing teams to figure Beckley's offense out. When are they gonna spread it out and and start throwing the ball some?? They are gonna have to do this to open up the running game some. Beckley is completely one dimensional and it is hard to have a good football team like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

first off, they dont run the double wing offense they run the jet sweep. they run the same offense as poca and bluefield. and throwing the ball? they played a good parkersburg south team. if they had a decent QB they would throw the ball more. and they do have a lot of passes in their offense. that is john lilly's kind of football run until they stop u. cuz apparently the game before they were able to run well. they just played a better team. i heard woodrow had a two-a-day either saturday or monday. and they will be ready to play some football. this will be a better game then a lot of ppl think.

What positions will repass be at on o and d?

I wouldn't count on a dry field, might not be muddy, but with all this rain it could rain friday as well.

Alsofact is beckley has some speed also, so while bluefield might not be faster, I'm not certain so much faster that it's that much an advantage for bluefield.

In my opinion bluefield should prepare for a more even matched game than they might expect, regardless of weather. If that's not the case all the better.

It appears the rain is going to end sooner than they've been predicting it to do so. They had expected the rain to last into tomorrow evening, but now they're saying it'll end early tomorrow morning with clearing in the afternoon. Actually, looking at the current weather map and where this system is located at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see the rain end sometime tonight. Regardless, there is a beautiful day on tap for Friday with sun, some clouds, and a mere 10% chance of rain.

Additionally, knowing the amount of rain that was possible for these couple of days I would expect the field was covered well in advance. Furthermore, the lack of rain in Bluefield over the pass month has left the ground dry and more than able to soak up the amount of rain we've had to this point. I'd say the field will be in great shape for Friday night....

The addition of Repass will only give Bluefield more options on offense and different looks on defense. Maybe he'll start at safety and allow Coeburn to move back to linebacker along side Wells. Plus, the addition of him to the receiver rotation will make the passing game even more lethal. I don’t remember how quick he is, but I’d say he has fairly good speed and definitely enough to burn some kids he’ll be matched up against.

I really hope this Repass has to earn his spot and won't start right off the bat, which is what I will expect to happen. He will definitely have to prove something to Coach Simon before he just puts him in there ahead of the other hardworking players on the team who are still waiting on their shot.