Thoughts on the Richlands, Graham game

pistol4

I for one am very disappointed. You cannot put the blame on any one person, a team loss, a team win.

Richlands will go on to win SWD , Graham in second.

The G-men have 5 games left, and i am certain , however, that they will bounce back.

Mark my word that Graham will not lost a game for the rest of the regular season.

Take away Graham's turnovers and they played well enough to win. But hey, live by the pass, die by the pass. Some coaching decisions could have hurt Graham's effectiveness. The running game wasn't on fire, but no reason to go to the pass so heavily. Graham was in an excellent position for one to complement the other. Matthews' tendency to lock the radar on the intented receiver at the snap was exploited tonight. Ringstaff is about the best "yards after first contact" back I have seen. Richlands deserved the win, and Graham played right out of one. I hated to see what was shaping up to be a nail biter go so awry. And to address the comments of a few, Bluefield still over Richlands by 3 touchdowns.

I, Like Lance did video the game, yet I dont see the cheap shots people are talking about, give it a rest. This one is in the books, lets go on to the next week.

[ QUOTE ]

mr cola....i dont even like graham....ima beaver....and i herd that there were cheap shots...thats all im saying...im not saying that i saw then with my own 2 eyes

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice would be if you didn't see it and are only basing your info on what someone else said then don't repeat it. Football can be and is sometimes a dirty game, things go both ways. The game is over, Richlands won so deal with it and move on.

there were some cheap shots on both sides but nothing out of the usual when one team gets frustrated late in the game. Most of the times the refs did tell the kids to knock it off without throwing a flag...they only called the flag out on sideline type hits that were late and both teams were hit with those...Richlands is prone to do the ankle twisting on the piles but not much you can do about that kinds stuff if the refs don't call it.

but as far as the game goes...graham is lucky the score wasn't 42-9 as it should have been...richlands throwing that pass at the end of the first half was a bone headed play...the kicker missed 3 XP's...which Richlands has a good kicker I think..he just had a bad night.

Richlands came out looking like a different team from the past few weeks...the offense was flat and the play calling was generic...but once they got it together after the half they poured it on...the game was not as close as the score reflects...like i said it should have been 42-9.

As for Graham, they won't beat Grundy either...they will go into the playoffs 7-3 and Grundy will be 9-1...Richlands will be 9-1.

I only say that because i heard it from the grundy players and the tazewell players , now graham players..about the ankle twisting in the piles...seems to be a common complaint...might only be one or two kids doing it?

therichlands coaches might want to tell them if it is going on that they should knock it off and play with class...you guys have a good team, no need in trying to hurt someone like that...you are starting to get a bad rep out of it and even if it's only one or two kids it reflects bad on the entire team...so, someone should speak up and say to knock that stuff off if it's going on...if it's not going on, no need to get upset over it...but when you get 3 or 4 teams that complain about it, there must be something going on somewhere.

just a thought...you guys have a great team don't let a couple of players make you look low class...you don't need a rep as a dirty team.

Listen to yourself Lance, if you don't even play and complain about it then just think of the players complaining. So what if it happens it's football man, if you can't take a pinch here or a ankle twist there, then how in the world do plan on taking a head to head hit. We get into their head and they start complaining, taking their minds off of the game. Seems to work pretty good.

Rough Sport, Suck It Up!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

there were some cheap shots on both sides but nothing out of the usual when one team gets frustrated late in the game. Most of the times the refs did tell the kids to knock it off without throwing a flag...they only called the flag out on sideline type hits that were late and both teams were hit with those...Richlands is prone to do the ankle twisting on the piles but not much you can do about that kinds stuff if the refs don't call it.

but as far as the game goes...graham is lucky the score wasn't 42-9 as it should have been...richlands throwing that pass at the end of the first half was a bone headed play...the kicker missed 3 XP's...which Richlands has a good kicker I think..he just had a bad night.

Richlands came out looking like a different team from the past few weeks...the offense was flat and the play calling was generic...but once they got it together after the half they poured it on...the game was not as close as the score reflects...like i said it should have been 42-9.

As for Graham, they won't beat Grundy either...they will go into the playoffs 7-3 and Grundy will be 9-1...Richlands will be 9-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

The offense looked a lot like it did against Tazewell. That game was scoreless late before Richlands started pouring it on.

You're right about that play call before the half. Why would you do anything other than a QB sneak or FB dive right there?

I don't know about the ankle twisting and stuff people are talking about. I didn't play HS football so I don't know what goes on down there. I do remember one game in little league where the other team (from Grundy shocked.gif) threw dirt at out eyes every chance they got. We tried to throw it back but were flagged for it. I guess that was my first taste of "home cooking" ooo.gif as well.

[ QUOTE ]

So what if it happens it's football man, if you can't take a pinch here or a ankle twist there, then how in the world do plan on taking a head to head hit... Football's a rough sport, so suck it up!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the worst attitude i've ever heard. If you can't beat somebody clean, which i'm not saying richlands didnt do, then you might as well not play. Cheap shots in the bottom of the pile aren't part of the game... why continue a bad rep with this stuff, when you can win with class, have some pride?

We all know that richlands will win more than a few games this season. When you can play clean and just beat the fire out of another team, then they know that, and will respect you for it.

It's prety obvious that some richlands fans are being biased here. Nothing constitutes foul play at the bottom of the piles. I'm also a richlands student and I don't think any of that stuff should be going on. Richlands already has a "great" reputation after the incident at the championship in '92. Nobody needs to be going around giving people more of a reason to see a lack of respect coming from us. Mance needs a talk with these boys.

Am I hearing this correctly? Two Richlands players have come on here and admitted to intentionally conducting illegal and unsportsmanlike acts during a football game? Say it isn't so. Will some things never change? Doesn't that asterick beside your state championship remind you of what that ultimately brings?

As far as the pass at the end of the first half; it wasn't that bad of a call, and here's why. You've driven the ball down the field and trail 3-0 with time running out in the half. It's 3rd down with less than 20 seconds left and you have no timeouts. Run the ball and fail and you have no chance for a 4th down play. The problem was that it should have been a pass from the shotgun, with instructions that if the receiver isn't wide open, throw the ball out the back of the endzone. Clock stops, kick the field goal on 4th. down. When the offense is stalling, which Richlands' was at that point, reward them for their efforts and make it count for something. Things turned out fine for them, but it had the makings of a crucial turning point.

[ QUOTE ]

Am I hearing this correctly? Two Richlands players have come on here and admitted to intentionally conducting illegal and unsportsmanlike acts during a football game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold up. I'm not on the football team, just a student like I said. And I'm not admitting anything to anyone. I don't know if any of this stuff went down in the piles. But after three different teams that richlands has played all say that this uncalled for behavior goes on then it's probable that it did happen. And if it did then my comments stand.

[ QUOTE ]

As far as the pass at the end of the first half; it wasn't that bad of a call, and here's why. You've driven the ball down the field and trail 3-0 with time running out in the half. It's 3rd down with less than 20 seconds left and you have no timeouts. Run the ball and fail and you have no chance for a 4th down play. The problem was that it should have been a pass from the shotgun, with instructions that if the receiver isn't wide open, throw the ball out the back of the endzone. Clock stops, kick the field goal on 4th. down. When the offense is stalling, which Richlands' was at that point, reward them for their efforts and make it count for something. Things turned out fine for them, but it had the makings of a crucial turning point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they should of tried the FG to go into the half tied at 3 but I believe in being conservative. If I did want to go for it I would probably have called a QB sneak.