Bluefield vs. Martinsburg Predictions?

bigmaroonmachine

This game will be a battle of speed vs. size.

If its a dry field...advantage Bluefield.

If its a pig pen...advantage Martinsburg.

Bluefield will have to mix up the run and pass to keep Martinsburg off balance on defense. Both teams have explosive offenses, so this game will come down to who makes the fewest mistakes/who converts on the other teams mistakes and special teams. Bluefield is pretty good at both converting on opponents mistakes and special teams...great kicking game with Stone and a return team second to none with Perdue and Davis. However, M'burg can offset the return game by controling the ball and scoring points on offense. Martinsburg's defense gave up A LOT of points to a less than mediocre Princeton team last week. With that being said, I think Bluefield will score their share of points barring turnovers and penalties. Defensively, Bluefield MUST get penetration against a massive offensive line and put pressure on M'burg's QB. If he has time, he will pick the Bluefield's secondary apart. If the Beavers do get substantial pressure on him, mistakes (turnovers) will follow. Once again, however, I think Martinsburg will score their share of points as well. Bluefield can't get down on themselves if they give up a score or two early and/or get behind...and the coaches can not afford to get "conservative" with the play calling at this point either.

I honestly see this game as being a shoot-out with the last team to have the ball either winning the game or having a chance to win the game on a late score.

Predicition...

Lucas Stone connects on his first FG of the year with less than a minute to play...Beavers win, 45-42.

Anybody happen to take a look at the Massey Ratings and Game prediction for this game?

He has Mburg ranked #1 and Bfield #5 overall in the state

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate/hsfWV-m.htm

and the prediction is Mburg is only a 60% winner with the score 34.53 to 31.15 thats one tight game.

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate/hsfWV-p.htm

Haha... you guys are crazy!

Bluefield is absolutely jacked this year! Martinsburg is not going to stop the Beavers? No sir!

Whether the field is a mud pool or a desert, Bluefield will prevail, Martinsburg will come in ranked, go home spanked!

Just from the sound of things, Bluefield should win by 8 to 12 points. However, I am willing to bet Martinsburg is capable of catching Bluefield asleep at the wheel and can just as easily take a 2 TD lead in no time.

Of course, I am speaking completely on what I have read about both teams. Going out on a limb, I suspect the game will be lower in scoring than most of the predictions and the team who rushes the ball with the best consistency wins. I am going with Blfd 17, Martinsburg 14 (I thought the late 4th Q FG idea sounded about right).