Best Offensive Formations for High School

TheAlpha

From what I know about the double wing (which isn't much)it's a good choice for high school football. Richlands uses the "I" as it's base and also likes to get in the shotgun and spread em' out.

My favorite offense is one that mixes option, power running, and play action passing. I'm not a big fan of the spread because I like the TE's and FB's to have a big role, but I can live with the spread option that many college teams are using now.

We played Giles back in the day...I kinda thought it was a neat offense...I think we ended up beating them 7-0 the last time we played them and they beat us 3-0 the time before that...they had a good defense a long time ago.

I think the wishbone would be a great offense if you have a good sized QB that can run it and at least one big back and one fast back.

They both have a shotgun set.

Bluefield uses a double wing set, where they can option to the fullback, and give it to the wings in motion and stuff.

Graham uses a two tight end set, with three backs in hte backfield. They run leads, traps, and dives. And they can put either back at a wing, and/or put the tight end wide.

I'll have to say about offensive formations that I hate playing against the single wing, when we played against Giles my senior year, it was Mance's first year as a asst. coach, well they brought him up to help out with Richlands defense since he went there(Giles). I played outside linebacker and they put me right up on the defensive line, I never knew where the ball was going, to hard to read. On offense, Richlands used to run the wishbone only, when Evans was there, but we usually had good sized QB's to run it, especially Adam Lallande he was a big QB that went to play line at Air Force and VMI to give you some idea of his size.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll have to say about offensive formations that I hate playing against the single wing, when we played against Giles my senior year, it was Mance's first year as a asst. coach, well they brought him up to help out with Richlands defense since he went there(Giles). I played outside linebacker and they put me right up on the defensive line, I never knew where the ball was going, to hard to read. On offense, Richlands used to run the wishbone only, when Evans was there, but we usually had good sized QB's to run it, especially Adam Lallande he was a big QB that went to play line at Air Force and VMI to give you some idea of his size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever happened to Bruce Evans?

I really don't know, I thought I had heard he went down to Alabama somewhere and was coaching after he left Richlands. But, I could be way off base on that. I know that was no help at all to you. It's been years since I've heard his name though. The only thing I remember about Evans is the wishbone and WAR EAGLE.......lol !!!!

If I remember correctly, he was from Alabama. That's the reason Richlands wore a blue version of the Crimson Tide uniforms.

I'm going to show my age now and ask, do you remember Todd Heldreth?

Yea, I remember Todd Heldreth, I played football with his younger brother Judd. That is until they moved to South Carolina, Judd went on to punt for Wofford. So, that was a little before my time, when Todd played.

[ QUOTE ]

Yea, I remember Todd Heldreth, I played football with his younger brother Judd. That is until they moved to South Carolina, Judd went on to punt for Wofford. So, that was a little before my time, when Todd played.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually thinking about the coach, Todd Heldreth Sr. but I remember his sons that played too. Todd Jr. was a pretty good QB from what I remember.

• 9 months later...

Bassett runs a 3-4 defense. I bet the Nosetackle has a tough job. Martinsville's coach Edwards has run about every offense in the book in the past few years. He's run the 'I' wishbone, spread and wing-T. I guess you have to see what kind of players you have to determine your offensive and defensive sets.

The 3-4 defense is only a good defense if you have really really good linebackers I think..because you can run on it so easily straight up the gut. J.I. Burton was running a 3-4 defense when we played them in the state semi-final game last year. First play we ran, Corey Whalen up the gut for about 35 yards. They finally switced to a 5-3 after we broke several runs straight up the middle on them. I just don't think its a good defense, but that's my opinion. Basset is obviously having success with it.

if anyone around here ever puts a true read option offense in to place, they will dominate...to do that you need 3 skilled players - QB, RB, and TE...QB being the key...has to be able to run the ball and throw the ball and be smart enough to understand the defensive reads...no one around here has ever tried this offense fully...you can call it a Veer or a Option offense or whatever...it's still not the true read option offense...it might take you a few games to get things together, but once you got it you would be able to dominate about any team in the area until defenses adjust, because I don't think at a HS level the defense can fully adjust to it if it is run properly...just my opinion.

on defense I like a 4-3 in HS, esp the SWD where things are more run oriented most of the time. I like the "non standard" blitz packages also...where you loop guys in from different blitz lanes...makes it hard for the O-Line to see who is coming from where...Philly does this as well as anyone in the NFL...works pretty good if you have LB's that are fast enough to pull it off.