WV ratings question

jmarcum

I was just told that Wayne County High School is the second ranked WV AA team behind Bluefield.Is this true?

So what does the playoff picture look like for Bluefield?

Lots of football to be played but I wish the best of luck to Wayne and Bluefield. Can they meet in the playoffs? I sure hope so I want to go watch that one.

There are Marcum relatives on this team so you know who I am pulling for. Best Linebacking combo in the state in Stumbo and Marcum.

GO Wayne!!!!!!!!!

Yeahp I see Wayne is # 2. Now off to look at schedules for both teams. lol. See what obstacles await both teams. Feel free to enlighten me about Bluefield and Wayne and who if anyone has seen both teams play and what they predict.

Yes, Bluefield and Wayne could play in the playoffs. It all depends on seedings as to when they could possibly face off. However, there is a lot of football left to be played before anyone could even envision a possible meeting of those two. Personally, I'd like to see them play in Wheeling for the state title, but we'll have to see how things play out.

[ QUOTE ]

Richlands dropped Bluefield due to the conflicts that happened with alegded officials.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Both teams knew prior to the 2002 game that the series wouldn't be renewed. The reason? It was thought at that time and had already been decided that the Southwest and Highlands Districts were going to combine into a single district. As such those teams would only have two open slots available on their schedule outside of district opponents. Richlands wanted to keep Gate City on the schedule, which meant nine games, and they also wanted to keep the final slot for a closer Virginia rival such as Powell Valley or Lebanon.

I have to agree with B_R on this one. When the series was dropped there was talk of a merger between the Southwest and the Highlands (and we all know that Lee shot that one in the butt). Bluefield was told by Richlands that they no longer had room on their schedule for Bluefield. Using "the officials" as an excuse could be a legit reason (especially knowing what happened the last time they played) however, in this case, that isn't the case.

BR and GMan are right. I remember reading exactly what they said.

Bluefield won the last time the two teams played but I'm not aware of anything to do with the officials. Richlands does tend to have a large # of fans who complain about every call, even when they have no clue what their talking about.

The last time they played was in 2002. Richlands was probably the better team at 7-2 going into the game against Bluefield at Mitchell Stadium. Bluefield was 5-4 and needing a win to make the WV AA playoffs. Bluefield got the benefit of SEVERAL generous calls by the officials (one official in particular who flagged Richlands on what seemed like every play...some of the Bluefield fans were even making comments in the stands about the calls) allowing the Beavers to pull out a 17-14 "victory". Bluefield got on a roll after that bombing #8 seed Webster Co. in the first round 63-6, then knocking off #1 James Monroe 3-0 (avenging an earlier 30-7 butt kicking by the Mavs), followed by another shutout of #4 Wayne 10-0, only to fall to #2 Poca in the Championship.

[ QUOTE ]

The last time they played was in 2002. Richlands was probably the better team at 7-2 going into the game against Bluefield at Mitchell Stadium. Bluefield was 5-4 and needing a win to make the WV AA playoffs. Bluefield got the benefit of SEVERAL generous calls by the officials (one official in particular who flagged Richlands on what seemed like every play...some of the Bluefield fans were even making comments in the stands about the calls) allowing the Beavers to pull out a 17-14 "victory". Bluefield got on a roll after that bombing #8 seed Webster Co. in the first round 63-6, then knocking off #1 James Monroe 3-0 (avenging an earlier 30-7 butt kicking by the Mavs), followed by another shutout of #4 Wayne 10-0, only to fall to #2 Poca in the Championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had totally forgotten about that. I only remembered that it was a close game.

Correct, the game was tainted by way to many holding penalties against richlands. Bluefield fans were the 1st to admitt that the game was tainted. That said, myself, I also didn't think it would have changed the outcome, it was sort of the way it is in basketball where the refs simply don't permit the players to play. Were all of the penalties correct, I doubt it, but it is worth mentioning bluefield had a strong rush and richlands was attempting to pass a lot, and pass blocking does tend to bring about holding penalties against speed. So there were likely some that were warranted, but they seemed to be flag happy about it to often.

This was george simon's crew, who's crew is notoriously often biased, not only for bluefield, but for whichever

h teams their crew refs at. This was the concern that was written about before the martinsurg game, that they would ref the bluefield martinsburg game.

And to comment further, it was richlands who had to make room for more va. teams on their schedule, known before the game. But the series has been on and off before, and god willing likely another eventually.

Maybe it's time for bluefield and tazewell to sign another series in '05.

Also wayne, with their caliber team, seems to have a reasonable opportunity to finish undefeated with their remaining schedule, which is respectable. And I would expect them to be 1 of the 2 teams with h field advantage throughout the playoffs.

At this point, I would guess even if bluefield were upset in 1 of their remaining games, there wouldn't likely be another team in aa who could be ranked higher for the other top 2 position.....

I'll never forget Bluefield traveling down to Richlands in 1999 and officiating was just as bad in favor of Richlands. It was so sad b/c on each offensive play, Richlands' guards would jump a split second before the snap and a false start was NEVER once called. I'd love to see the game film and count the number of times Richlands OL jumped early, but didn't get flagged for it.

The point is, no matter where you go and play you'll have a game here and there where the officiating seems one-sided. It's unfortunate, but at places like Bluefield and Richlands I'd like to think that doesn't happen too often b/c it doesn't need to. The only thing could really be argued in that Richlands/Bluefield back in 2002 was the officials running the clock when it shouldn't have been.

Besides, as has been pointed out here time and time again George Simons and his crew are about as awful as they come in officiating. I could be wrong, but I don't think he or that crew has called a Bluefield game since.

You know, the Marion - Grundy game was one of the best called games I have seen in a while...nly a few penalties against either team...ref's pretty much let them play all night...they did take a little long sometimes getting thigs set up between plays...but other than that they did a good job...and when it gets to the point of you noticing that the refs did do a good job, something is wrong with the system.

B_R...I remember that game at Richlands as well. The Richlands line fired about a half second early on every play and never once was flagged. I also remember a terrible PI no-call on a long third down that cost Bluefield...I got into a slight verbal altercation with someone over that.