Rusty Coeburn finally makes Kennedy Watch list...

Bluefield_Rules

Fred Persinger Jr. has been saying for weeks now during his time on Gamenight that Coeburn deserved to at least be on the watch list for the award and this week he is.

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Sports/2004101020

Kennedy Watch List

Here's a look at 10 of the leading candidates for the Kennedy Award, which goes to the top high school football player in the state as voted on by members of the West Virginia Sports Writers Association. This is not intended as the definitive list; players will be added and deleted as the season progresses. Players are listed in alphabetical order:

# Zach Amedro, John Marshall, QB  Week: 19-of-28 passing, 391 yards, seven touchdowns, one interception in a 54-25 win over Hedgesville; 34-yard TD run; Season: 109-of-166 passing, 1,711 yards, 22 TDs, eight interceptions; three TD runs; Team record: 3-3

# Nate Black, Parkersburg Catholic, RB  Week: 21 carries, 149 yards, two TDs in a 49-7 win over St. Marys; 49-yard punt return for TD; 7 PAT kicks; Season: 137 carries, 1,130 yards, 17 TDs; two punt return TDs; three field goals, 33 PATs; 156 points; Team record: 6-0

# Rusty Coeburn, Bluefield, QB  Week: 6-of-11 passing, 210 yards, two TDs in a 61-15 win over Shady Spring; Season: 48-of-71 passing, 972 yards, seven TDs, four interceptions; four TD runs; Team record: 6-0

# Zac Cooper, Weir, RB-LB  Week: 11 carries, 95 yards, two TDs in a 74-33 win over Magnolia; Season: 81 carries, 499 yards, nine TDs; blocked punt return TD; 60 tackles; Team record: 6-1

# Josh Culbertson, Nitro, RB  Week: 46 carries, 271 yards, three TDs in a 28-16 win over Capital; Season: Season: 190 carries, 1,250 yards, 18 TDs; 8 catches, 60 yards, two TDs; Team record: 5-1

# Spencer Farley, Morgantown, RB  Week: 11 carries, 200 yards, four TDs in a 49-0 win over North Marion; 1 catch, 24 yards; Season: 106 carries, 1,292 yards, 26 touchdowns; interception return TD; Team record 7-0

# Chance Litton, Parkersburg, RB-DB  Week: 8-of-18 passing, 139 yards in a 61-20 win over St. Albans; 9 carries, 36 yards, three TDs; Season: 61-of-109 passing, 886 yards, 12 TDs, two interceptions; 69 carries, 266 yards, seven TDs; five interceptions, 37 tackles, fumble recovery on defense; Team record: 5-2

# John Saunders, Cabell Midland, RB  Week: 25 carries, 126 yards, one TD in a 24-13 loss to South Charleston; 2 catches, 4 yards; Season: 120 carries, 757 yards, 10 TDs; TD catch; Team record: 3-3

# Nate Sowers, Martinsburg, QB  Week: 16-of-26 passing, 185 yards, four TDs, one interception in a 37-19 win over Bassett (Va.); 10 carries, 92 yards; 39-yard TD catch; Season: 97-of-173 passing, 1,320 yards, 14 TDs, five interceptions; 66 carries, 571 yards, nine TDs; TD catch; four interceptions on defense; Team record: 6-1

# Heath Thomas, Huntington, QB  Week: 6-of-15 passing, 119 yards, one interception in a 39-12 win over Hurricane; 2 carries, 48 yards, one TD; Season: 49-of-80 passing, 876 yards, five TDs, two interceptions; 22 carries, 121 yards, six TDs; Team record: 6-0

Coeburn and davis each should be considered candidates for the award, but the biggest disadvantage for either is that bluefield is to complete a team with to many players contributing, so they'll likely never have the stats that players from some other teams have. But it's positive to read anyhow, they're deserving.

I agree. It's hard to get individual recognition when you play on a team with as much talent as Bluefield has. They don't don't have 1 or 2 or even 4 or 5 good football players, they have 11 on the field at all times and a couple on the sidelines waiting to come in!! How do you lose players with as much talent as Chris Martin, Kelly Marrioti, Brenton Pannel, Davin Williams & Jose Steele, and get better as a team? But the best thing about this team is the individual recognition doesn't mean that much to these guys. I mean sure they are happy to get the recognition but in any interview you see where a player is being interviewed, they revert the attention back to the TEAM!!

[ QUOTE ]

How do you lose players with as much talent as Chris Martin, Kelly Marrioti, Brenton Pannel, Davin Williams & Jose Steele, and get better as a team?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, you all wouldn't believe what I saw last friday, there were these two good football players at a local high school. I was wanting to know how I could contact the head of recruiting at Bluefield or does Coach Simon do it himself, so I could let them know where they could find 2 more recruits for next years team, because I hear they lose a lot. Who knows maybe Bluefield will get another "transfer" this week and he could have all his practices in by playoffs.

1st of all, Bluefield didn't "recruit" Davis. He just finally come home. 2nd, Repass didn't come to Bluefield for football, he came for basketball and they talked him into playing football. 3rd, As good as Davis and Repass are, there are alot more than 1 or 2 players that make this team what it is!!!

as far as we know with the loss of repass, this could open a flood gate of players leaving princeton to see just how nice the grass is on the other side!!! i can tell just by being a fan how much better it is in Bluefield. and i will be a beaver fan from here on out.

I've always been dumbfounded at kids leaving Bluefield for Princeton to play football. I can understand them leaving for Graham, but Princeton? Bluefield competes for state championships in many years and has owned Princeton since the beginning of the rivalry. Princeton has never been past the quarterfinals of the state playoffs. The Bluefield/Princeton football rivalry dates back over 70 years and it has been terribly lopsided. Just how much, Princeton didn't hit double-digit wins in the series until their victory over Bluefield in 1998.

I'm sure a lot of us here at Bluefield understand your envy of our school and of our Beaver Pride! Mike-D came home and brought a pal with him who didn't like Princeton to start with! What can ya say??!

GO BEAVERS AND WE'RE GLAD TO HAVE MICHAEL AND JOHNATHON!!!

for you to mention Ealy and Wallace, that has been many many moons ago..what year did you graduate?? anyways, i knew Ealy for many many years and with his 'unfounded' ego, the tigers and him deserved one another, that wasnt a loss to Blfd, however, i keep thinkingn it was Tony Wallace that left and went to Princeton, could be wrong or more that i dont know about, (i was out of the country from early 88 till 92) but it did seem weird and unnatural to hear a Wallace playing for Princeton

You are correct, it was tony wallace who transfered to princeton with ealy around '86, paul wallace played for bluefield around '90, he was an exceptional rb, but bluefield didn't have the strongest of teams in '90. His bro, or cousin, was tony, who graduated around '86, and there was another wallace who was on the team as a sophomore when I was a sneior, can't think of which wallace he was, but that wallace was a linemen. The other 2 rb's.

I also worked with tony 1 summer for a youth program, and a good friend was a neighbor of the ealy's. If I recall the older ealy was a navy seal. Jamie I didn't really know, but from the attitude that they trasnfered under he might have had an ego infact. Bluefield was 2 - 8 that season, princeton made the playoffs for the 1st time in a decade or more, basically with tony wallace's contribution as an rb.

I graduated in '84, and played the season before bluefield earned the aaa title. I know a number of the dad's or relatives of some of the present bluefield players, and some jr., high players as well. When did you graduate?

i graduated in 87..charles wallace wouldve been the lineman that graduated in 86, then tony wouldve graduated in 88, and then courtney and one more of the wallace's wouldve came along after that, but yeah, Ealy was the 'legend' in his own mind and was merely an avg player at BHS but coudl go to PSHS and have a chance at being a 'star' so to speak.

i use to know alot of people that graduated in 84 since i was a soph while you all were seniors but i knew alot of 84 grads but with age, my belly gets bigger while my memory gets smaller...lol