Let the crying begin...

Lance

A lot of people are starting to figure out their playoff picture is not a nice one. Every year a few great teams get left behind and a few weak teams sneak in.

This year Marion or Va High will get a birth in Region IV, and it could work out that either could have a 4-6 record at that point...while Lebanon could go 9-1 and not go.

So, as we head into VHSL week #9...let the crying begin!

Nobody's cry'in.........George Wythe, Floyd or Lebanon any one could go 9-1 and stay home. I would'nt hand George Wythe the Hogo trophy just yet, they played a weak schedule last year and was supposed to walk over Lebanon......did'nt happen, 27-6 last year and Lebanon is hands down a better team this year than last. George Wythe has not played a high powered offense nor a very stingy defense yet. They hype themselves up every year with a pansey schedule and then get drilled by somebody that does'nt toot their own horn. I would'nt dust out a place in the trophy cabinet til after Oct. 29th. If Lebanon loses and does'nt make the playoffs, then they did'nt get the job done.....no cry'in.

Yep! Coaches are really putting a lot more emphasis on the early season games (non-district). You not only need to play a tough non-district schedule, you need to win the district! The VH$L did make at least one concession and that was the seedings are now based on power points instead of district champions! This year in Region D Div.2, GC or PV will probably be 1-2 regardless of who wins Friday! That was not the case two years ago! There is an outside chance (very much an outside chance now) that GC could lose and still be #1. That would be ridiculous! District champion should count for something, yet VaHigh will probably be Highlands champ and should not be the higher seed over Grundy, Graham, or someone else who beat them.

It is just about as fair as can be! I know people get left out every year, like Haysi or Honaker! The winner of that game seems to take the #3 in Region D each year with the loser left wishing! I think the non-conference schedule could be beefed up and it would help! GC and PV play the big(ger) boys each year and it helps! Lee is a points bonus as Div4 opponent, yet no wins by them doesn't help either.

I guess the bottom line is everyone can't make it, or else it would be the NBA! Just win baby! That will take care of it in the end! tongue.gif

I agree with both of you, it's always a shame for a good team to be left out. Lebanon has tried to beef it's schedule up with Honaker, Tazewell and Richlands. Gate City nor Powell Valley will back away from any game and they should be commended for it, especially since they usually beat whoever they play. I miss Lebanon being in AA, we usually did'nt do so hot in the playoffs but our fans had a good competative game to look forward to every week and we at least usually made the playoffs. Ahhhhhhhh........the good ole days. Good luck to Bluefield and Gate City, I believe both are powerhouses and should bring home the tin.

At least here in Region D, Rye Cove will be going back to Div. 1 where they should be after this season. So there really won't be much else to whine about. Except for my occasional Honaker scheduling rants. wink.gif

I'll say one thing, anybody that thought GC would be 8-0 at this point with the personnel we lost was living in a dream world. I didn't expect to be undefeated at this point, and alot of other folks didn't neither. It's odd that a team is 8-0 and ranked #1 in the state in Group A and is an underdog against the #5 team. That's what we have this week though. I can't wait.