Best Virginia High School Coach (1984 - 2004)

TheAlpha

I think you have to go with Carlock on this one..

Graham is one of the smallest schools and puts one of the best teams on the field year in and year out...Va High should have jumped all over the chance to get him.

i agree i think they shouldve got him someone who knows and who is successful in football in this region instead of bringin in someone from another region where they play different styles of football

I wasn't around for Richlands' State Championship so I never saw coach Vaught. To bad his career ended the way it did. Anyway, I would go with both Colobro and Carlock. To seperate them I think you would have to count wins, titles ect.

Joel Hicks - Pulaski County

From 1984 to 2002 when he retired, he was 166-56 (.748) with 12 District Championships, 5 Region Championships and 1 State Championship. Not one losing season in his tenure at Pulaski County.

thats pretty impressive.

Wonder what Carlocks all time record is and I'd also like to know what Greg Rowe has all time...he's been at Grundy for over 15 years and they racked up some wins along the way.

Hicks overall record at Pulaski Co. was 210-69 (.753). His career coaching record was 301-97-1 (.756), with stints at Big Creek and Woodrow Wilson (Beckley), before coming to PCHS. His only losing season was his very first as a head coach at Big Creek.

well id have to say either Turner from Appalachia cause he does more with less and then id have to say Robbins from Powell Vally cause, well u can just look at the stats to get that one. I know that not everyone likes Robbins but as a coach, i dont think many get any better

im gonna have to go w/ richlands coach Greg Mance hes took a group of kids and done great things

in the past 4 years we have been in the playoffs 3 and a sure playoff shot this year

we hold the 2002 region 4 champs and hope to compete for better things this year

GO BLUE

I'll agree that Coach Mance has done a tremendous job not only in the past four years, but since he took the head coaching job at Richlands. Coach Mance is an innovator and very consistent at winning. If he continues at his current pace, he will achieve greater things with the Blues. However, Coach Vaught was a master motivator and helped author the greatest season ever at Richlands. By the way, Richlands was not stripped of our title. We were penalized the following season and were not permitted to compete in the VHSL playoffs. The 1993 Richlands team finished 7-3 and undefeated in the SWD.

Excuse me, aaahhuummm, may I pick 3? I thought so.

Phil Robbins-PV, Tom Turner-Appy, Nick Colobro-GC

WHY? Wins, Media, Guts, and Glory. I need not say more for the most looked at coaches and teams in the LPD! wink.gif

In all fairness, Robbins and Carlock have to top the list. PV has been too good for many years, and Graham always gets better as the season goes. Colobro is a close second with state titles at two schools (Tazewell-1986). Turner hasn't had a good season lately. Willis White is Salem's coach. But my conscious cannot allow me to place him with the above mentioned coaches. After all, I have never heard Robbins, Carlock, Colobro, or Turner blame equipment or the elements for a defeat.

I agree phil robbins is clearly the best coach in the swva,

he has 7 state championships and a numerable amount of lpd championships and he is in the coaches hall of fame!!!!!!!!