Monroe County........

beaverball

Thing You love most about your team  

1. 1. Thing You love most about your team

First, the Bluefield-JM series stands at 5-1 in favor of Bluefield. The teams played three times in the mid-1990s with Bluefield winning all three games pretty easily and JM dropping us after the third game. The teams didn't play again until the 2002 season in which JM won the regular season game with Bluefield winning the playoff rematch. Of course, Bluefield steamrolled them last year to pick up their fifth victory in the series.

[ QUOTE ]

and they said there was some very favorable calls for JM that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I would and do expect the same Friday night. The last time Bluefield played up there in the 2002 playoff game Bluefield was called for 14 penalties and JM only 1. Of course, that one brought back the James Monroe only score of the night. Two places I hate playing b/c of the officiating are Shady Spring and Lindside.

I watched Princeton play down at Lindside in 1999 I believe it was. The officials horribly blew four calls, including a fumble and a pass interference call, and guess whose favor the calls went in?

No one can say, with a straight face, that Bluefield hasn't received some "home cooking" over thier many, many victiories. Two or three years ago at Mitchell, Richlands had a pretty good team and got rooked. 17-14 in 2002, G-Man and I were there, and witnessed the harsh treatment the Blues were delt.

Please read observantly. I said that Ben was PERHAPS the best ALL AROUND player in southern WV over the past ten years. The only thing I never saw Ben do in a game is attempt a field goal, other than that he did just about everything else as good as it can be done. I also said perhaps, which leaves it somewhat up for debate. I haven't seen every player in southern WV over the past ten years. In fact of the four you mentioned I have only seen one play and that was Gillard and he doesn't come close to Ben. He didn't even gain a hundred yards in either game that he faced us in. I am aware of Isabelle's reputation as a top notch player. As for the other two, never heard of them, so nuff said. I don't know why your talking about 96 because the two years that I said we WOULD have beaten you in was 98 and 99. Oh it's true. Oh, and lets watch the insinuated foul language please. grin.gif

In my opinion monroe county is a very beautiful county, with a lot of good people in it. As I've posted on the message board in years past, my uncle had a house at mckenzie addition just north of peterstown at a pond, and our family had quite a fewe memorable cookouts and reunions there, and I camped there with my dog a few times as well. I've never had anything but good times in monroe county, and have nothing but good things to say about the people there.

As for the football, if I recall correctly, bluefield did play james monroe at mitchell stadium in '94, maybe the last game of the season. Bluefield defeated the mavs by around 20 some, but james monroe played bluefield tough. The mavs always sort of been like most of the tazewell and richlands teams bluefield played in that they were physical and would play hard regardless of the outcome.

In '95 bluefield played at james monroe and defeated the mavs around 27 - 7, I recall it was very cold, I went down with jay sims in his van that season also, so that's a memorable game for me personally.

In '96 at bluefield, that was the season bluefield defeated so many teams by such a big margin, and james monroe was no different, something like 50 some to 8.

'97 at james monoroe, something like 21 or 28 to 7, was 7 - 7 after 2 quarters, james monroe played bluefield very well, thornton as a sophomore showed a lot of potential and did well against bluefield's '97 d.

I agree '98 and '99 would have been the years for the mavs against bluefield, but I write about '99 with reservations, depending on when the teams played, as in my honest opinion bluefield was as strong as either james monroe or wyoming east early in the season. By the title game, james monroe or wyoming east, no difference, common results.

The recent history is more known.

I agree thornton was overall "as good" a football player as there has been in southern wv in the last decade, that's my honest opinion.

Thank you very much for your honest observation. I appreciate you having an open mind. I am not overlooking your loyalty to Bluefield but I just wish that more Bluefield fans would look at issues like this with an open mind instead of making excuses.

you mavs fans tell me one thing Blfd has to make an excuse for??..yes, they lost some title games but where was your team?? sittin at home wishing they could be there. The Beavs give 110% every time they are on the field and win or lose, its ok as long as the effort is there..so where is the need for an excuse??...until your team beats someone and earns a title keep your excuses to yourselves b/c i have yet to meet a Blfd person that needs one..especially from a JM fan/team that has only been in existence a few more yrs than Blfd has titles..now then mad.gif

14 penalties, sorry, Bluefield isn't WVU yet. I was there, and I don't believe there were more than 6 or 8 tops on Bluefield.

Honestly, that wasn't all bad for Bluefield since they obviously came more fired up and agressive than James Monroe that evening, which is 1 reason they won that game, 4 turnovers commited by James Monroe is another reason.