Monroe County........

beaverball

Thing You love most about your team  

1. 1. Thing You love most about your team

Oh thats very clever. How many people showed up to the "Lets think of a clever way to trash Monroe County meeting" because I know you didn't think of this all by yourself. I think you left out the best one though. You see Friday begins opening day of beaver season.

Remember last year when JM played Narrows at Narrows and they had designated a special area for us marked "Tractor Parking"? End result -- Narrows lost. Go ahead, Bluefield, get the Mavs fired up! cool.gif

Yeah it's funny you should mention that Narrows game. I have one of there signs in my bedroom where I ripped it down after the game. Hey I'm not going to be home until Friday. If you have the opportunity and think it's appropriate, mention this little thing to the coaches and players. It might give them some extra motivation.

[ QUOTE ]

If JM needs this thread to motivate them to play Bluefield, then they have problems. make sure you print that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that. If those kids need anymore motivation going into Friday night then they've got problems. Additionally, anyone from Narrows making fun of anyone else is extremely funny considering Narrows...lol

So Friday night is the opening of "Beaver Season" in Monroe County....then the limit must be one....a decade, huh? The series stands at 11-1 in favor of the Beavers. And I agree if your team needs this thread to get them fired up for this game, with the number 1 team in the state coming to town, then they really do have some issues down there.

I said it might give them some extra motivation. I'm sure they're already fired up. Its just that, the last time I really remember somone making a snide remark about our team it didn't turn out so well. In 1999 a Charleston sports writer said that we would have to be Maralyn Monroe to beat an undefeated Greenbrier East team. Well we won and the sports writer recieved a poster of Maralyn Monroe in the mail, compliments of the James Monroe football team. So if we win Friday night maybe we can do the same. So would you prefer some venison or a pack of Red Man.

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="black"> So Friday night is the opening of "Beaver Season" in Monroe County....then the limit must be one....a decade, huh? The series stands at 11-1 in favor of the Beavers. And I agree if your team needs this thread to get them fired up for this game, with the number 1 team in the state coming to town, then they really do have some issues down there. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I need help on the numbers I think. You say the series stands at 11-1, and it hit me that those #'s just don't sound right. JM has only been in existence for 10 years and I was thinking that Bluefield hasn't always been on JM's schedule those 10 years. So being curious as to what the record really is, I searched through what I could find on the internet and I have some of the data, but not all. And what I have found might even be wrong. Can anyone fill in the missing data below, or correct what might be wrong?

Union & Peterstown consolidates = James Monroe

did we play Bluefield that year?

?

JM and Bluefield played, and I think Bluefield won, but I don't know the score

?

didn't play?

link to Bluefield's 1998 schedule?

didn't play?

link to Bluefield's 1999 schedule?

didn't play?

link to Bluefield's 2000 schedule?

didn't play?

regular season, JM won 30-7

playoff game, Bluefield won 3-0

Bluefield won 49-8

I'm not sure if we played them in 95 but I think they beat us in 97. I know that we've only beat them once but as you correctly pointed out, we've only played them at the most 6 times by my count. Here is some food for thought though. It's probably fortunate for Bluefield that they didn't play us in 98 or 99. In 98 we lost to Dupont in the semi's. I'm not sure where Bluefield finished but I don't think they made it that far. In 99 we lost by one touchdown in a heartbreaker to the same Wyoming East team that easily defeated Bluefield in the state championship. Not to mention that we had perhaps the best all around player in all of southern WV high school football during the past ten years or so, Mr. Ben Thornton. Now I'm not saying this to bring up the past or sling mud. The truth is that Hillbilly brought up our past history without studying it very well. I for one don't see what relevence the past has on this Friday's game. I do think however, that if we are going to drag out the past let's do it right.

[ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that we had perhaps the best all around player in all of southern WV high school football during the past ten years or so, Mr. Ben Thornton.

[/ QUOTE ]

make no mistake about it, Ben was a good player, but the best all around in all of souther WV in the past 10 years??? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!! where did he go to college? if he was so good, he wouldn't have ended up at sorry 'ol Concord. if he was really that good, maybe he would have went to a real college like UVA (Y.Isabelle) or Marshall (C.Tynes) or WVU (T.Russell) or Pitt (T.Gillard) or many others... so don't tell us about BEN the Great when we know otherwise. he turned out that he wasn't even the best one on the field that night when they played WE

by the way, Bluefield beat the DOG SH@T out of JM in '96 at JM... i was there and i can remember being in line at the concession stands and hearing people talk about Y. Isabelle and saying they hoped they didn't play us in the playoffs.

I saw both of these games...

'96 Bluefield beat JM something like 34-0...it wasn't close.

'97 Bluefield beat JM 20-6 but had 5 TDs called back...guess where that game was played...

[ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that we had perhaps the best all around player in all of southern WV high school football during the past ten years or so, Mr. Ben Thornton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thornton was good, but lets no get carried away here. Amaker, Tynes, and Isabelle were all much, much better.