bassett-richlands

bhsfan

Much was said this past week about how good a team Richlands is. Not many people gave Bassett any credit. I give Richlands credit for the defense played, but I think the game might have had a different outcome had the field not "obviously" been watered down before the game to control Bassett's speed and footing. The precipitation was not enough to make the mess of the field that it surely was and no one on the other side was fooled as to how the field got that way. Sure, you can do whatever you want to your own field (its legal), but I know that here in Bassett, we would never do that to our opponent. Bassett is a class act team and we're proud of them for their incredible effort this year.

Oh come on...Why on earth would anyone WATER DOWN THE FIELD? That is an insult to the people who have spent hours getting the darn thing ready to play on.

The problem is we get more shade than sunshine this time of year because we're sitting in a narrow valley. Add the two solid days of rain we had last week, and it's not going to dry.

Both teams played on the EXACT SAME FIELD. Richlands has speed too...and the mud slowed them down, but this is FOOTBALL!!! It's a fall/winter outdoor sport. If you can't play in the elements you have no business fielding a team.

I'm sorry but the muddy field argument is the dumbest in all of sports. It was muddy on both sides of the ball. Do you think Richlands would have ran the ball up the middle all night on a dry field? They attempted only four passes the entire game. Both teams did what they could do on that field and Richlands won the game.

You have a good team but YOU LOST. GET OVER IT and stop making ridiculous accusations that do nothing but show your football ignorance.

[ QUOTE ]

but I think the game might have had a different outcome had the field not "obviously" been watered down before the game to control Bassett's speed and footing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classy.

I have lived in Richlands, and just for you to know, even though they would do alot to win in football, they would not cheat. That's just false accusations by people mad that they lost.

[ QUOTE ]

Much was said this past week about how good a team Richlands is. Not many people gave Bassett any credit. I give Richlands credit for the defense played, but I think the game might have had a different outcome had the field not "obviously" been watered down before the game to control Bassett's speed and footing. The precipitation was not enough to make the mess of the field that it surely was and no one on the other side was fooled as to how the field got that way. Sure, you can do whatever you want to your own field (its legal), but I know that here in Bassett, we would never do that to our opponent. Bassett is a class act team and we're proud of them for their incredible effort this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes a compete idiot and sore loser to even mention crap like the field. Richlands has been the target of this type of "mud slinging", pardon the pun, before. I have never seen anyone water down a field before a football game. And to make such accusations looks like sour grapes. You fail to give credit to Richlands for having a great deal of speed their selves. The field was in good shape for anywhere at this time of the year. Bassett was a worthy opponent, but, Richlands was the victor. Both teams played on the same field. Period. I am tired of hearing SWVA teams like Richlands and Grundy being attacked because of field conditions. These accusations stem not from field conditions. It stems from teams traveling down to rural counties and having their breakfast, lunch and dinner handed to them. Football is an outdoor sport. I suggest one of two things. Either keep your team at the house or become more gracious losers. If you don't like smash-mouth football the way it was meant to be played. Maybe there's room for you in Region III, with the other "mud-slingers."

Whoa kid, I think several peaple gave Bassett their props aas well as alot of their fans I got to meet. But Richlands doesnt cheat. We dont have to water the field down to win, but our players dont cry about it. I hope you are just a teenager thats spoutin off, because you know nothing of "class" football. Friday was classic with two good teams meeting, 1 point decided the outcome. Richlands defense refused to lose and thats the bottom line.

I did give Richlands plenty of credit for defense and for winning the game. We're not crying because we lost. And yes, we both played on the same field. Bassett's speed was their advantage (if they had one) in the game and the mud easily took it away. However if you think that football teams don't water down their field from time to time to slow down their opponent, then you aren't close to anyone in coaching (or anyone that will admit it). Whether or not Richlands did it or not I don't know. But I know that teams do it for a fact and compared to the ground all around town, it sure looked like that field had somehow received more precipitation. Just my opinion, so no need to bash me, but I think that the issue of any team watering down a field is one that people should know about.

Compared to the ground all around town? Come run a few sprints in my yard and you will see how much precipitation we've had.

It rained much of Tuesday night and all day Wednessday. I don't know the exact total but I will find it.

More time and money has been spent on that field this year than any year I can remember. It's an insult to the team, the school and the town for you to make accusations of cheating.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

welp Richlands won and Bassett didnt, dont even make excuses The Better Team WON! go big blue!

One word to you BHSfan...

PHOOEY.....

We have people that post on this board who are volunteers to help with the field. Ask them if the field was watered down for the game! I can answer before they even tell you ....IT WASN'T.

RHS....Let's focus on Salem next week, Instead of the crying about the last game!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is one fact, Its rains in SWVA and our players play in the rain, they practice in mud on rock or were ever they can. Good luck in life because football isnt your calling kid.

[ QUOTE ]

There is one fact, Its rains in SWVA and our players play in the rain, they practice in mud on rock or were ever they can. Good luck in life because football isnt your calling kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked that^ Nice!

at least one team a year tries to accuse grundy of doing this...it's pretty stupid to even suggest...maybe thats how you do things where you guys are from, but around here we usually have to pray for dry field after October...if we watered anything down the towns would have a cow because it would flood somewhere...lol

Seriously, all you people who think any of our teams here would water down a field before a game to make the field slick are kidding yourself....it doesn't happen...get over it.

Hey!! I bet the whole Richlands football team and coaching staff studied up on mind control also...allowing them to control basset and take the win...OR EVEN BETTER!!! i bet they had one of those mind eraser things like on the movie men in black...and they just brainwashed the whole state of Virginia into THINKING they beat you...oh thost tricky blue tornadoes!!!!!

hah...get a life man yall lost deal with it...or if youre gonna complain get a better excuse (blaming the refs seems to be a popular choice) smile.gif

First of all, I want to congratulate Richlands for their Region IV, Division 4 title. Good luck against Salem, and I hope that ya'll bring home the state title.

I have been observing this forum throughout the football season, and I want to give props to the person who runs this site (great job). It's great to have an open forum to discuss what we do or don't like about high school football in the various areas of this great state.

With that being said, I have observed most if not all the threads that have been about the Richlands football team this season. It is great to see the type of support that these young men have recieved both on and off the field this season. I like how your area of the state still puts a heavy emphasis on supporting the local high school sports. The overall community support is very awesome. We are in the process of trying to get this area similar in terms of the community backing.

As far as the post that Bhsfan left, you have to understand where we are coming from. I do not by any means nor am I trying to even insinuate that there were "any wrong doings" going on with the condition of the playing surface at Richlands. We were told 3 different stories when we got there as to why the field was so wet

1) It had rained nearly 2 inches the night before.

2) It had snowed the night before.

3) It had rained hard on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Now I know how much rain we received here on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I am much more inclined to go with reason #3. I know how the weather patterns, drainage, and lack of sun in certain mountainous areas can be.

Our young men had only had the opportunity to practice in those types on conditions for 2 days (Tuesday and Wednesday). They had not had to play on that type of field all year long. On the other hand, that is the type of surface that your team is accustomed to playing on. Bottom line, your team won the game Friday and that is all that matters!!!!

All year long, nobody ever gave the Bengals any respect for what they accomplished. No body thought that they would go to "The Hole" at Magna Vista and defeat the Warriors ... they did. Nobody thought that they would go over to the "Doghouse" and defeat Martinsville... they did. Nobody thought that they would get out of the Regional Semi-final game against Carroll County because of lack of experience, and playing in an "inferior district"... they did.

As much credit that has been given to Richlands and how "they dominated the game", I find it a little odd that nothing has been mentioned as to how the Bengals gave them all they could handle until the final minute in the game. Keep in mind that the playing conditions were much more in favor of a team like Richlands. You take away the one big run that Ringstaff had for the TD, great run, but keep in mind that 2 of our defenders slipped and fell while trying to cut and make a play on the run. I know that it is part of the game "the elements", just in case one of you wanted to say something about my "football ignorance".

To say that the better team won, is still kind of a strong statement. I dare to say that very few if any of you would have wanted to play the Bengals on a field that would have allowed their backs to play the style of game that had made them a solid team this year. Not having the explosive element of being able to run outside the tackles and most importantly, make the cuts without their feet going out from under them, would benefit most any defense. Now don't get me wrong, you guys have an outstanding defense and I was totally impressed (I already knew) with the play of your nose tackle #45. (He is the closet thing that we have seen compared to our nose tackle Chauncey Ross #44). Great job by your young men all night, and most importantly, they made a heckuva stand when we had the ball on your 25 late in the 4th.

I guess the most important thing I would like to say after all this, is can our young men get just a little bit of respect from your area for the type of season they had and the type of game that we gave you.

Remember, WE ARE MAKING NO EXCUSES, your team won a great game; we would just like to receive a little credit. We haven't gotten any all season, and I know that we will have to win on a consistent basis to get the respect throughout the region and state.

Keep in mind, until you beat us this past Friday, our 2 losses were to Floyd County 14-6 (playoff team) in a game that we turned the ball over 6-7 times (3 inside their 25yd line). The other game was to Martinsburg, WVA who is playing in the WVA (AAA) title game against Morgantown.

We wish you the best of luck in your quest for the state title, bring it back to Region IV. I hope that there will be a bring storm warning for the next 2 weeks!!!!!!

To the Bengal football players......

The way that you young men came together and molded as one unit has helped our "new school" become the type of school that it is now. You can always be proud of what you have accomplished this season and no one will ever be able to take that away from you. You've earned my respect, and in due time, you will earn the respect from everyone else.

WE SHALL RETURN!!!!

GO BENGALS!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

hah...get a life man yall lost deal with it...or if youre gonna complain get a better excuse (blaming the refs seems to be a popular choice) smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

esp. if you have video to back it up grin.gif

sorry...just had to say that...to see what kind of can of worms i could open! tongue.gif

HEY!! wait a second!!! i mean its so obvious Richlands Waters their field...i bet YOU EDITED THE FILM!!! gosh cant trust anyone these days...(esp. in the SWD!)

[ QUOTE ]

We were told 3 different stories when we got there as to why the field was so wet

1) It had rained nearly 2 inches the night before.

2) It had snowed the night before.

3) It had rained hard on Tuesday and Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is some truth to all of those, obviously the snow didn't happen large scale, it was blowing around and the higher elevations had a little dusting...not anything that would affect the field.

It didn't rain 2 inches the night before, although I would say there was well over 2 inches for the entire week. It basically rained all week in a steady drizzle, getting pretty good downpours at times...the result was what you saw and played in...nothing anyone could do about the rain and they did work on the field the best they could to get it in shape, regardless of what anyone thinks, I saw them out there putting sand or whatever on it myself because i drive by it every day on my way home.

[ QUOTE ]

All year long, nobody ever gave the Bengals any respect for what they accomplished. No body thought that they would go to "The Hole" at Magna Vista and defeat the Warriors ... they did. Nobody thought that they would go over to the "Doghouse" and defeat Martinsville... they did. Nobody thought that they would get out of the Regional Semi-final game against Carroll County because of lack of experience, and playing in an "inferior district"... they did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally have followed you guys from the start because I tracked the playoff situation for website purposes here...you had a great run...I don't think anyone would not respect the season your team had here...and in fact there were a few posts where if you read between the lines, people were very worried about playing you guys. Grundy played a few of your kids last year I think? Didn't Collinsville send some kids from the team last year to Bassett this year?

Anyway...my point is, I doubt anyone has a lack of respect for you guys outside of being insulted by saying that they watered down the field...that tends to piss people off.

[ QUOTE ]

To say that the better team won, is still kind of a strong statement. I dare to say that very few if any of you would have wanted to play the Bengals on a field that would have allowed their backs to play the style of game that had made them a solid team this year. Not having the explosive element of being able to run outside the tackles and most importantly, make the cuts without their feet going out from under them, would benefit most any defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me I feel your pain...but, both teams played on the same field and Richlands has great speed in Tatum and Ringstaff and Jennings....as well as the LB's and DE's on defense...it all evens out in the mud.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess the most important thing I would like to say after all this, is can our young men get just a little bit of respect from your area for the type of season they had and the type of game that we gave you.

Keep in mind, until you beat us this past Friday, our 2 losses were to Floyd County 14-6 (playoff team) in a game that we turned the ball over 6-7 times (3 inside their 25yd line). The other game was to Martinsburg, WVA who is playing in the WVA (AAA) title game against Morgantown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read what I stated above...it's hard to drop games this time of year...trust me, the Grundy kids are still hurting from the loss to va high a week ago...you guys had a good run, nothing to hang your heads over...offseason means time to prepare for next season...it's sad for the SR's...but it's part of the game and part of life.

[ QUOTE ]

We wish you the best of luck in your quest for the state title, bring it back to Region IV. I hope that there will be a bring storm warning for the next 2 weeks!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You finished up with a lot of class, if the shoe was on the other foot, the kids from Richlands would be saying the same thing to you guys and pulling for you the rest of the way.

...just my thoughts on the whole thing. cool.gif

A few lines in respose to your post proudbengal. You mentioned the weather favored "a team like Richlands." Bassett's offense revolves around a power running game. Richlands offense shows I formation and a great deal of the spread offense. Wet conditions favor a power running game. You say Bassett had not played on that type of field all year. Our field is 100 yards long and is grass. What kind of field does Bassett play on? Your 2 defenders slipped and Ringstaff did not? Sounds like superior agility and not a wet field. Remember, your mighty and highly touted speed on offense netted ZERO points. Bassett's only points came from a Richlands mistake on offense. That interception and a dropped pass by Tatum were the only reasons the final score wasn't 14-0. Richlands is the better team. That is not a strong statement, it is a true one. You say you want a little respect, but, no one to my knowledge from Richlands or any SWVA team has disrespected Bassett's players, fans, school, town, or field. The only disrespect I saw was from one of your fans accusing Richlands of less than honest tactics. You must give respect to receive it!

I have also been one that has only been viewing this forum; however, with the post that was made to begin this thread I felt compelled to register to reply. Yes, the Bengals deserve some respect! In my opinion, they gave us the toughest game that we have had this year. And yes the field was wet, it's been that way for about the last 3 or 4 games due to the rain that we have received. And yes, it did rain here Tuesday and Wednesday. On Thursday we had snow, then sprinkles, then snow, it went back and forth. I understand how that can be aggrevating to the guys that run the ball because I have wathced Cain on several tackles (like ones placed on Friday night), be able to still drive for an additional 3-5 yards with guys all over him. At any rate, the field condition did play a factor for both teams.

With that being said it would be nice if people (not saying you) would quit making accusitory remarks that stem from the 1992 State Championship. Everyone needs to realize that that was 12 years ago and that the boys that are playing on this RHS team ranged in age from 3-6 years of age at that time. I don't feel that if is fair for them to have to still live under the cloud that was placed in 1992. They have worked hard and put in many hours to get where they are. At this stage in play, they should be able to play with heart and concentration, and enjoying what they have accomplished. Not having to deal with the whispers and remarks about what happened 12 years ago.

I think most people here have given Bassett credit for having a good team. I know I have both before and after the game.

I'm not sure why you were given three reasons as to why the field was so wet. It didn't rain 2 inches the night before the game but it did rain that much Tuesday night and Wednesday, and we did have snow mixed with rain on Thursday.

[ QUOTE ]

They had not had to play on that type of field all year long. On the other hand, that is the type of surface that your team is accustomed to playing on.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many games do you think Richlands has played in the mud? Are you aware that you get 2 inches more rain per year than we do?

Look, I'm sorry you feel your team lost because of the field, and I'm sorry if you feel people aren't giving your team enough credit. I think you have a very good team. Maybe the outcome would have been different on a dry field but please understand that it works both ways. Richlands left 90% of their offense on the shelf Friday night. On a dry field you would have seen more passes and more outside runs. Richlands has speed too.

I know that Richlands is blessed with some good team speed in Ringstaff, Tatum, Wells, and Jennings. They are a solid team that does not beat themselves and are willing to do what it takes when the game is on the line. I never intended for it to come across that your team did not possess that if I did. I was not, nor will not try to make any excuse for the outcome of the game. As far as 90% of your offense being kept on the shelf... that is fine, but I would like to think that our defense would have had something to do with the play calling that went on that night. There have been some comments questioning the "heart" of these young men. There was one quote from Grundy10 (I know that he is not one or yours!!) talking about how the kids from F-C kind of disappeared when the pads started popping.......

If ya'll don't mind, we put the Fieldale-Collinsville and Bassett thing behind us long ago. We are no longer, the old Collinsville and Bassett of years ago. Yes we did get a lot of the players from F-C, but we had quite a few players that were already here. The kids have done an outstanding job of becoming a cohesive unit and put all (if any) differences aside. We are now the "new" Bassett Bengals that are trying to establish themselves as a force to be reckoned with academically and in all sports.

Please remember, there are NO EXCUSES coming from this end!!!!! I just wanted to provide a little support for Bhsfan, even though his views are not the same as I. With all the bashing that had started, I just wanted to voice my opionion of my team and how we have viewed being looked upon from others.

I again want to wish Richlands the best of luck in their quest!!!!! Your players and fans showed us a lot of respect on Friday, and for that we are grateful.

GO BENGALS!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

...I think the game might have had a different outcome had the field not "obviously" been watered down before the game to control Bassett's speed and footing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Whether or not Richlands did it or not I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, okay. thank you for your clearly directed insight. your opinion is valuable to us!

He's still hazy from the brainwashing tongue.gif...give him time he'll make up his mind eventually...unless you darn tornadoes use that mind control i talked about and turn him into a richlands fan or something