This question has not been brought up, soooooo....

sandman

Saturday it seems to me that after Purdue was stopped at the one, (the play after the illegal participation penalty)

I personally think that two events occured that enabled Bluefield to run the touchdown plunge.

1.) It is my personal feeling that Bluefield was not set for the snap of the spike play, and should have been flagged for false start, pushing the ball to bewteen the 5 and 6 yard line.

2.) It is my opinion that the clock was stopped prematurely.

That being said, there is no tenths of a second space on the scoreboard at Mitchell, so there could have been fractions of a second left in the game, but.

The clock operator is supposed to start and stop the clock on the referee's signal, not the play on the field. I feel that a mistake was made on the spike play in that the clock operator timed the clock cut off to coincide with Coeburn's spiking of the ball, not the referee's signal. The signal would have come just after the execution of the spike, thus depleting the remaining fractions of a second.

I understand that this is a very raw issue with fans from both sides. I need to state that I was personally there for the WHOLE game, and that certain Bluefield partisans who have posted comments about the end of the game on this message board began exiting the stadium after the 4th and 37 punt, because I saw them leaving. I would appreciate these people from commenting on what I have stated. (Bluefield College students and others)

I would never call anyone out on this, or any, board. But there have been some badly slanted and downright untruthful statements made about who saw what.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the ball spike, it is my opinion that not being set is rarely called. From what I remember, if anything, the Weir players were still moving, and at least one was possibly in the neutral zone when the ball was snapped. At that point, the penalty against Weir wouldn't have mattered, half the distance would be 2 inches closer.

And on your other point...a lot of people left, I saw it too. But many seemed to come back in and were gathered down by the locker room,w atching the action there.

I was there the whole time, even though I seriously thought about bailing at the 3 minute mark.

Weir's players are allowed to move around, the're on defense at that point. I'm talking about Bluefield's offensive players not being set. (Please tell me you have a vague grasp of the rules before we start back and forth.)

As for the point of coming back in. How much could you really see down there unless your on the front row?

[ QUOTE ]

Weir's palyers are allowed to move around, the're on defense at that point. I'm talking about Bluefield's offensive players not being set. (Please tell me you have a vague grasp of the rules before we start back and forth.)

As for the point of coming back in. How much could you really see down there unless your on the front row?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're going to discuss this, you could at least start out on the right foot here. No need to be a smart-arse.

I do indeed have a "vague grasp of the rules", I used to play.

I fully understand that the offense is supposed to be set for 2 seconds before the ball is snapped. I also know that the defense does NOT have to be set. But, they can't be in the neutral zone when the ball is snapped.

And for people coming in and out..I obviously could not see the gate, but I can CLEARLY see the area in front of the locker room. I could clearly see a large contingent of people standing there, more than was there a minute or two previously, so they came from somewhere, and I am guessing that they were people who came back in. Several people here have said they did just that. I have no reason to doubt that...do you?

Do you have a point here, or are you just a troublemaker/troll?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is not everything that happened at that stadium on Saturady has been talked about and I am offering my observation. Since people in Atlanta clearly posses clairvoyance why don't you tell me what went on in Bluefield WV on 11/27?

I was in the stands for the complete game.The offense was set and The official signalled to stop the clock immediately after Q.B. spiked the ball.Had the coach from Weir not made such a call as passing on 4th down,there would not be any such questions.Anyone who knows anything about football,knows not to pass in that situation when your opponent does not have any timeouts,has not moved the ball offensively and is behind by 2 scores. Was he trying to run up the score? or run out the clock? Whatever he was trying,It backfired.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is not everything that happened at that stadium on Saturady has been talked about and I am offering my observation. Since people in Atlanta clearly posses clairvoyance why don't you tell me what went on in Bluefield WV on 11/27?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, it is obvious that you are indeed a troublemaker/troll.

I am indeed from Atlanta. So freaking what? I grew up in Bluefield, went to BHS, and actually know several people here (Buzzsaw can vouch for me, he's a couple years older than I am).

While I may live in Atlanta, I discovered this amazing form of transport known as the automobile, and I used it to come to Bluefield over the weekend.

Other than the football game, not a whole lot happened in Bluefield Saturday. I'm not even sure what on earth you're getting at, other than to stir up trouble.

You are correct in that Bluefield had no time outs left. The clock would have stopped for the either the measurement the replacing of the down markers or the switch from offense to defense so it would not have mattered how Weir got that first down, by land or air, they WERE NOT close enough to run the clock out with one more first down. I do agree about not throwing a pass in that situation, but Bluefield was clearly gearing up for "goalline max blitz" to stop the power play with #44.

If there was any question about the legitimacy of the spike and the stopping of the clock, don't you think there would have been some sort of mention of it by now, or at least a grievence would have been filed on the part of Weir? Sandman, your attempts at tearing down and second guessing the last minute of efforts of a determined Bluefield team are both transparent and pathetic. Though I hear this very behavior is a side-effect of losing to Tazewell not only once, but twice in the same season. Here's hoping you'll get over it soon. See you in Wheeling.

[ QUOTE ]

He's a bitter Graham fan that has been 100% negative towards Bluefield the entire season. The best course of action is to ignore him and not give him the pleasure of your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

For you to make a post that you know who I support or what I represent is a GROSSLY IGNORANT statement. If you're going to take action over what I've posted here do it because of principal, not personal prejudice.

BeaverHokie, my comment about what went on in Bluefield WV on 11/27, that was a rhetorical question. And where did you get "2 seconds"?

[ QUOTE ]

If there was any question about the legitimacy of the spike and the stopping of the clock, don't you think there would have been some sort of mention of it by now, or at least a grievence would have been filed on the part of Weir? Sandman, your attempts at tearing down and second guessing the last minute of efforts of a determined Bluefield team are both transparent and pathetic. Though I hear this very behavior is a side-effect of losing to Tazewell not only once, but twice in the same season. Here's hoping you'll get over it soon. See you in Wheeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it interesting that no one on here wants to discuss the final sequence of the game? Is this because most "Beaver Believers" left early, or another reason?

I would be willing to discuss the matter if there were something credible in question, but the spike and time remaining on the clock were legitimate. I had as good of a point of view as anyone without actually being one of the players on the field since I was standing at the fence around the south endzone near the field entrance.

As I said in my original post, if there was any controversy or anything of the sorts, why hasn't anyone else mentioned it to this point? I know there were people from across the state in attendance at that game, including people from Wayne, James Monroe, Tazewell, Montcalm, Shady Springs, Weir, and other places. This must be one, massive cover-up.

[ QUOTE ]

I would be willing to discuss the matter if there were something credible in question, but the spike and time remaining on the clock were legitimate. I had as good of a point of view as anyone without actually being one of the players on the field since I was standing at the fence around the south endzone near the field entrance.

As I said in my original post, if there was any controversy or anything of the sorts, why hasn't anyone else mentioned it to this point? I know there were people from across the state in attendance at that game, including people from Wayne, James Monroe, Tazewell, Montcalm, Shady Springs, Weir, and other places. This must be one, massive cover-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never used the words "cover-up". This, however, poses an entirely new question. Who was in charge of the game clock on Saturday? A SSAC offcial, a fan, a players parent, who?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just your friendly neighborhood football fan wanting some answers to the questions of a very interesting and exciting game that I had the pleasure to watch.

i was at the game, and left around the 3 minute mark or whatever it was after that punt. i was in my car and driving away when Mike Davis intercepted and ran it back. at that point, i turned my Jeep around and went 4-wheeling and went through the grass between the parking lot and the road. i got out and started running back up the hill, all the while - telling everyone to go back because Bluefield scored. when i got back in the gate, Bluefield had just recovered the onside kick. i was wearing a Bluefield Beavers pull over jacket that looks very similar to those on the coaching staff, so i said to myself "self, no body will even notice you if you go on the field... they'll think you're a coach or something" so i stood on the sidelines pretty much from the onside kick on. and i had stood to the side, where the players couldn't because they have to stay within the box, and had a front row view of it all. i guarantee that i was closer then you, unless you was playing.

now about your question. Rusty was tackled on that sneak try with about 9 seconds to go... i know because i looked at the clock. i thought they probably wouldn't have had time to get everyone set, but all they needed was to get the center and the QB up there so he could spike it. and when he did, the first thing i did was look up at the clock... and it showed 1 second. i was expecting it to say 2 or 3 actually, but oh well - all we needed was 1 second. i was watching the game, and didn't notice if the clock stopped when Rusty spiked it or a split second later when the ref waved his arms to stop the clock. i never questioned the time, because like i said, i thought we'd still have 2 or 3 seconds. after looking at the clock, i looked around the field for a flag for not being set. there was a scramble to line and i do remember that one Weir player jumping over right at the snap (he was close to the left tackle) and i also thought there was no way we got set. so i expected a flag, but then again it would be offsetting... so no flag no harm. maybe there was some questionable calls or no calls, but these are playoff refs and not native to Bluefield... so they had no dog in the hunt and could care less either way. they weren't pulling for either team and let it play out. wouldn't you rather it be played out instead of decided by a ref? and if the clock was stopped prematurely... then stick it in your ear and cry about it... then get over it. maybe it was some home cooking, maybe it wasn't. only 1 person TRULY knows that answer (the clock keeper). if it was home cooking, then i'll take it and LOVE IT!!! this was decided on the field, not by some conspiracy... so STICK IT IN YOUR ASS!!! and go cry to someone else 'cuz we're celebrating the biggest and most legendary BHS comeback with a trip to Wheeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldnt of said it better.....the game is over....we won fair and sqare....well maybe not fairfrom your statments... but were on our way to wheeling island stadium on friday and your not

so get over it becuase friday night at 9:30 you'll be hearing on the news about the bluefield beavers undefeated season and a class AA state championship

so like he said shove it up your bum bum's

[ QUOTE ]

... and if the clock was stopped prematurely... then stick it in your ear and cry about it... then get over it. maybe it was some home cooking, maybe it wasn't. only 1 person TRULY knows that answer (the clock keeper). if it was home cooking, then i'll take it and LOVE IT!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's intresting that only one Bluefield fan has the honesty to shine the light on the specter of impropriety. The rest of the "Beaver Believers" on here are going to have to drag you back onto the reservation, Total.

well, actually - i take that as a compliment. i'm not one that follows the crowd or does the norm. and i've often found myself in trouble because of speaking my mind before i think about it. and like i said, i don't know about the clock thing because i'm old now and can't swivel my head around like i use to, but as for the no flag - i expected one... but honestly, i don't think it would have made a difference if we had to go 1 yard or 6. we still would have got in that endzone.

and sorry for me getting a little edgy -- like i said, i often speak my mind without thinking it through first. call it what you will smile.gif

I was standing in the corner of the endzone along the fence in the closing minutes of regulation and OT. As Rusty spiked the ball I immediately looked back to the clock to see it go from two seconds down to one second. Much like total, I thought more time ran off than should have, but it doesn't matter.

[ QUOTE ]

If they did cheat , more power to us i guess

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very interesting to hear one's honest thoughts and opinions about a subject once the conversation gets rolling.

[ QUOTE ]

well, actually - i take that as a compliment. i'm not one that follows the crowd or does the norm. and i've often found myself in trouble because of speaking my mind before i think about it. and like i said, i don't know about the clock thing because i'm old now and can't swivel my head around like i use to, but as for the no flag - i expected one... but honestly, i don't think it would have made a difference if we had to go 1 yard or 6. we still would have got in that endzone.

and sorry for me getting a little edgy -- like i said, i often speak my mind without thinking it through first. call it what you will smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry yourself about it, friend. These guys on this board are puppy dogs and kitty cats compared to my home life. grin.gif