My Interpretation of the Salem mentality..........

sandman

First off, I'm not a young man. I believe that one person, stated that Salem had slithered down to AA. That's his opinion. You didn't offend me, I just don't see any reason to say something personally against someone that you don't know.

Referring to downing Salem, I was talking about the last two posts that you replied to. They didn't down Salem at all, they were referring to cleat size.

That's all, have a safe trip over to Richlands. I may have to stop and visit you the next time I'm in Roanoke, family lives about 2 miles from you off of Melrose Ave. I'll take up on that beer.....especially if you are buying !!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

First off, I'm not a young man. I believe that one person, stated that Salem had slithered down to AA. That's his opinion. You didn't offend me, I just don't see any reason to say something personally against someone that you don't know.

Referring to downing Salem, I was talking about the last two posts that you replied to. They didn't down Salem at all, they were referring to cleat size.

That's all, have a safe trip over to Richlands. I may have to stop and visit you the next time I'm in Roanoke, family lives about 2 miles from you off of Melrose Ave. I'll take up on that beer.....especially if you are buying !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

When I referred to you as a young man I assumed you were a 1989 Tornado. Believe me when you graduate in 1967 anyone who graduated in 1989 is "young". No offence intended.

The 1/8" inch comment was meant to be funny not insulting.

The next time you're in town give me a call. I absolutely meant what I said. I'll buy you a beer at Mac and Bob's.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[ QUOTE ]

I was born and raised in Richlands. I graduated from RHS in 1978. I am a huge fan of the Blue Tornado, and will be at Ernie Hicks stadium on saturday cheering them on.

That being said, I do wish other folks here in Richlands would quit being so defensive about what happened in 1992. What our head coach did was wrong. The illegal cleats were one thing, the lying about it afterward was another. There was no way we could excuse it (although many here have tried). What made me sad in 1992 was that those defending the coach felt that his actions should be forgiven and forgotten. He should have been (as a teacher)a moral example to our players and he failed.

Do I think the cleats impacted the game? I don't honestly have any idea. I do know we had an outstanding team and their accomplishment is definitely tarnished to those outside our town. Unfortunately, there is no way of changing that situation, although I do think a victory on saturday would go along way towards making the events of 1992 seem less significant.

t honestly

[/ QUOTE ]

At long last, sanity!

GO SALEM

GO MULES

333, Is it true that Salem tried to use the same cleats? I agree with Trainer that Richlands doesn't have a defense because Vaught admitted to cheating, but it's very interesting that Salem was willing to use the same cleats...if it's true.

[ QUOTE ]

333, Is it true that Salem tried to use the same cleats? I agree with Trainer that Richlands doesn't have a defense because Vaught admitted to cheating, but it's very interesting that Salem was willing to use the same cleats...if it's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh/ That's the first time I heard that one. Same category as "watering the field comments" pure bull manure.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[ QUOTE ]

Also if memory serves well I think that salem learned of the RHS purchase of these "Illeagal Cleats" well before the game was even played when their coaches went to the same sporting goods store to purchase the same items and he told them that he had to order them and that they may or may not be in stock in time for the game. Upon further questioning from the coaches (who had already contacted this vendor earlier to verify that he had them) they learned that Richlands had purchased them. So maybe the bad taste comes from Richlands being able to pony up the money quicker and bought Salems cleats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flea, can you elaborate on this? I'm just interested in how you know.

The story was told to me, that CMT Sporting goods turned over a receipt to either the VHSL or to Salem, I don't know which. I guess the receipt opened the "floodgates" to the scandal. I've never heard that Salem went to CMT to purchase the same cleats.

333, I know Mac and Bob's well........

tell mike stevens & wdbj 7 to keep adding more fuel to the fire. it's just firing our big blue up even more. i respect your views of the game in 1992 as it rained & snowed here in richlands all week.

always remeber one thing the salem kids that played in the vhsl all-star game admitted to wearing the longer cleats also. also we heard of how salem always goes after the talent from local areas northside, pulaski, etc. it shows why salem always wins in football they are taking talent away from the other schools.

as far as g-men, bulldogs, golden wave, richlands, & carroll we have the toughest district in va. football!

richlands will g.a.t.a. (salem) on saturday!

GO BIG BLUE, GO BIG BLUE, GO BIG BLUE!

[ QUOTE ]

The story was told to me, that CMT Sporting goods turned over a receipt to either the VHSL or to Salem, I don't know which. I guess the receipt opened the "floodgates" to the scandal. I've never heard that Salem went to CMT to purchase the same cleats.

[/ QUOTE ] Just why was Salem @ CMT?????????

333 everybody knows that girth is what it's worth!!!!!!!!!!1

[ QUOTE ]

tell mike stevens & wdbj 7 to keep adding more fuel to the fire. it's just firing our big blue up even more. i respect your views of the game in 1992 as it rained & snowed here in richlands all week.

always remeber one thing the salem kids that played in the vhsl all-star game admitted to wearing the longer cleats also. also we heard of how salem always goes after the talent from local areas northside, pulaski, etc. it shows why salem always wins in football they are taking talent away from the other schools.

as far as g-men, bulldogs, golden wave, richlands, & carroll we have the toughest district in va. football!

richlands will g.a.t.a. (salem) on saturday!

GO BIG BLUE, GO BIG BLUE, GO BIG BLUE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Were those the same kids that lied for vaught? The ones who said thay didn't use illegal cleats before their "coach" admitted they did? I've seen the pictures and I suspect you have too. They're obvious, Richlands wore em, Salem didn't.

g.a.t.a.?

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Just why was Salem @ CMT?????????

333 everybody knows that girth is what it's worth!!!!!!!!!!1

[/ QUOTE ]

And everybody know's Truth is what it's worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Why was Salem @ CMT"? DUH, because that's where every high school within a fifty mile radius purchases team equipment?

Salem didn't go to CMT to get the receipt. They came to us after Willis had seen the pictures and realized something was obviously different in the cleats worn by Richlands. I've seen the pictures also. The most glaring example is a pile with a Richlands and a Salem player's feel side by side.CMT told vaught the cleats were illegal, he chose to use them anyway.

Here's a question for you, my boy. Why was vaught at ???????

Aren't there any sporting goods stores closer to Richlands?

GO SALEM

GO MULES

GO TRUTH

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Also if memory serves well I think that salem learned of the RHS purchase of these "Illeagal Cleats" well before the game was even played when their coaches went to the same sporting goods store to purchase the same items and he told them that he had to order them and that they may or may not be in stock in time for the game. Upon further questioning from the coaches (who had already contacted this vendor earlier to verify that he had them) they learned that Richlands had purchased them. So maybe the bad taste comes from Richlands being able to pony up the money quicker and bought Salems cleats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flea, can you elaborate on this? I'm just interested in how you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flea, you've been sucking blood out of that dog too long. LMAO, I hope to hell you aren't an attorney.

First of all Salem didn't go to CMT. They came to us after pictures of the game exposed obvious differences in the cleats. One of their salesmen brought the receipt to the Salem field house.

You folks are always ranting about Salem being a "rich suburb of Roanoke. If that were the case why could'nt we afford the cleats? LMAO

GO SALEM

GO MULES

GO TRUTH

333, Salem Fans have made enough excuses for 1992 to gag every football fan in Southwest Virginia. But, that is twelve years old. I hope you've given thought to excuses for 2004. Because you will need some new ones after the Spartans are thrashed by the Blues. Heads up! Cleats and the wet field issue cannot be used again. Maybe if you petition the right people, someone will come up with a receipt that links Richlands with the BALCO investigation. There is a flame that was lit twelve years ago, and on Saturday the Salem Spartans will be engulfed by it.

G.A.T.A

333, you are correct with the receipt being put in the hands of Salem's athletic dept./salem's coach. I had heard about photo's of the game showing the cleats. I don't doubt that a bit. I don't know why people are arguing that case. We were caught, the coach admitted it. Done Deal !!

Let's just move on, like some on the board wants to do and get on with this saturday at Ernie Hicks.

Your question about an athletic store being closer to Richlands than CMT....I honestly don't think there is one, I think there used to be one in Bristol, but I think it's closed now. I may be incorrect there.

Are you coming to Richlands on saturday?

[ QUOTE ]

333, Salem Fans have made enough excuses for 1992 to gag every football fan in Southwest Virginia. But, that is twelve years old. I hope you've given thought to excuses for 2004. Because you will need some new ones after the Spartans are thrashed by the Blues. Heads up! Cleats and the wet field issue cannot be used again. Maybe if you petition the right people, someone will come up with a receipt that links Richlands with the BALCO investigation. There is a flame that was lit twelve years ago, and on Saturday the Salem Spartans will be engulfed by it.

G.A.T.A

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell ya what, Jonny come lately, I didn't start this crap. You won't hear any excuses from me and you can take that to the bank. If you beat Salem Saturday I'll tell you good game and go on with life. I expect the same from you.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[ QUOTE ]

333, you are correct with the receipt being put in the hands of Salem's athletic dept./salem's coach. I had heard about photo's of the game showing the cleats. I don't doubt that a bit. I don't know why people are arguing that case. We were caught, the coach admitted it. Done Deal !!

Let's just move on, like some on the board wants to do and get on with this saturday at Ernie Hicks.

Your question about an athletic store being closer to Richlands than CMT....I honestly don't think there is one, I think there used to be one in Bristol, but I think it's closed now. I may be incorrect there.

Are you coming to Richlands on saturday?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be there, good Lord willin!

GO SALEM

GO MULES

being at the game in 1992 we all know richlands could have beaten salem anyway! cleats don't make a difference its the kids that do.

the loss in 1992 (aka cleat-gate) was a chicken [censored] way for salem & willis white to explain a choke season.

salems season will come to another end come saturday 12-4-04. what will be there excuse this time around.

[ QUOTE ]

being at the game in 1992 we all know richlands could have beaten salem anyway! cleats don't make a difference its the kids that do.

the loss in 1992 (aka cleat-gate) was a chicken [censored] way for salem & willis white to explain a choke season.

salems season will come to another end come saturday 12-4-04. what will be there excuse this time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe what you've got to believe ol boy, but answer one question for me. If the cleats didn't matter why did your "coach" use them? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

As I've stated before. If you win Saturday there won't be any excuses from me. By the way, Willis doesn't coach Salem anymore.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a shame that we never will know the impact of the illegal cleats. Both teams were cheated in that regard.

I do wish that fans from Richlands would not try to downplay what happened. Had the roles been reversed I have no doubt that our fans (including myself) would have complained just as much as the folks from Salem.

[ QUOTE ]

I do wish that fans from Richlands would not try to downplay what happened. Had the roles been reversed I have no doubt that our fans (including myself) would have complained just as much as the folks from Salem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. It happened. Nothing will ever change that. And yes, the kids on both sides were cheated.

Did the cleats make a difference? ...Did steroids make a difference in Barry Bonds performance? Did Gaylord Perry's spitball make a difference? Or how about a corked bat? The point is if these things didn't make a difference, they wouldn't be illegal.

Now having said all of that...No Salem fan, media member or opposing QB have any right to mention 1992 with regards to this game. The offending coach is gone. Every member of that team are now grown men with families, and are spread out all over the country. Blaming this team for what happened in 1992 is like blaming the Bush Administration for Watergate.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a shame that we never will know the impact of the illegal cleats. Both teams were cheated in that regard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Trainer for a sane post. We've been of the other side of the fence except we had a State Championship taken from us. Graham was the benefactor of that one.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. It happened. Nothing will ever change that. And yes, the kids on both sides were cheated.

Did the cleats make a difference? ...Did steroids make a difference in Barry Bonds performance? Did Gaylord Perry's spitball make a difference? Or how about a corked bat? The point is if these things didn't make a difference, they wouldn't be illegal.

Now having said all of that...No Salem fan, media member or opposing QB have any right to mention 1992 with regards to this game. The offending coach is gone. Every member of that team are now grown men with families, and are spread out all over the country. Blaming this team for what happened in 1992 is like blaming the Bush Administration for the Watergate.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!!!!!

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Trainer for a sane post. We've been of the other side of the fence except we had a State Championship taken from us. Graham was the benefactor of that one.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[/ QUOTE ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Might I add another...well deserved....AMEN to that?????