My Interpretation of the Salem mentality..........

sandman

Dennis Vaught doesn't live in Richlands. He was fired 8 years ago, I was told. Also, he was a reject from Roanoke Patrick Henry High School and they should never had hire him.All I can say Salem had better tighten their chin strap because they haven' played a defensive line like they will face SAt. I am not fom Richlands but I look forward to seeing The Blues kick a-- and take names. We played RHS and they are for real. We get tired of hearing VA stops at Roanoke. We will knock you down but will extend a hand to pick you. That is an old SWVA tradition.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

to not think that this subject would not come up after both teams won last Friday you would have to be crazy. I believe FFE was trying to make for a good story just like every reporter does. Do not think they should have asked a player about it but that's all right. I always watch FFE but expecially last FRi to see what they said about it. I knew they would and probably everyone else knew it would be brought up. The things that went on will alway be two sided. Salem fans are going to have their stories some worse than others and Richlands will always have thier stories of the whole situation. Both teams fans will always stand behind their players, coaches and town. That makes a good fan.

As for now this will be the talk until SAT ant 1:30 When the ball is kicked off everyones mind will be on the game. may the best team win GO Blue

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the Roanoke media started stirring this pot months ago. There was a Roanoke Times article about the closing of the sporting goods store (CMK?) where the cleats were purchased, and of course they just had to mention "Cleatgate". They also made a big deal about the fact that the two teams could meet again in the playoffs on the same field where "Cleatgate" happened.

I for one wish we could move past this. Did we buy the cleats...yes, there is a receipt substantiating as much. Did Vaught push for the purchase and the asst. principal authorize it, yes. Did we for sure use them -- if you know we did, you know more than me. Heck, for debate's sake let's just ASSUME we did.

We can throw black and white paint on the wall all day and it will still look grey when we're finished...because a committee of professional men and women (superintendents, principals, and VHSL executives) looked at all of the evidence and chose a penalty that fit the crime. And let me go so far as to say, there are voting representatives from Salem's district/region present during this meeting.

If our transgression was as great as some individuals characterize, then one of two things would have most certainly happened. The title would have been voided by Richlands and/or awarded, ultimately, to another school.

As I have said many, many times...be careful about casting "first" stones. It will always be easy for Salem to assume moral high-ground in this case. Even so, I have never had any problem reconciling anything about this game, especially after the stamp of approval -- in essence -- the VHSL gave us by sanctioning probation rather than forfeiture.

<font color="blue">Congratulations to the 1992 Group AA Division 4 State Champions, The Richlands Blue Tornado Football Team </font>

[ QUOTE ]

All I can say Salem had better tighten their chin strap because they haven' played a defensive line like they will face SAt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly think it's silly to say something of this nature considering the district in which Salem plays. They've faced playoff caliber teams on a weekly basis playing in the River Ridge. Each week of the season saw Salem fighting for their playoff lives...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

All I can say Salem had better tighten their chin strap because they haven' played a defensive line like they will face SAt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly think it's silly to say something of this nature considering the district in which Salem plays. They've faced playoff caliber teams on a weekly basis playing in the River Ridge. Each week of the season saw Salem fighting for their playoff lives...

[/ QUOTE ]

Respectfully, if you are a Tornado fan...I agree with B'field rules...on THIS one. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Respectfully, if you are a Tornado fan...I agree with B'field rules...on THIS one. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang, heck must be freezing over and the sky is falling... shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang, heck must be freezing over and the sky is falling... shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Alright, who hacked into Alpha's account and posting under his name? grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're killing me man...it is me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right, be a man (or woman) and admit to hacking into his account... grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this will help...I hate Mitchell Stadium...especially when Richlands can't make the playoffs and Bluefield must win to do so. shocked.gifgrin.gif (all laughs aside, we're both polluting the thread...oh well)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right, be a man (or woman) and admit to hacking into his account... grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this will help...I hate Mitchell Stadium...especially when Richlands can't make the playoffs and Bluefield must win to do so. shocked.gifgrin.gif (all laughs aside, we're both polluting the thread...oh well)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, don't make me ban you for polluting the board...lol wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, don't make me ban you for polluting the board...lol wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...check my PM Pittston.

Cleatgate or not 1/8" longer cleats on that field we not going to help anybody. Furthermore if memory serves me well our stadium was refered to by Willis White as a Pig Sty. Also if memory serves well I think that salem learned of the RHS purchase of these "Illeagal Cleats" well before the game was even played when their coaches went to the same sporting goods store to purchase the same items and he told them that he had to order them and that they may or may not be in stock in time for the game. Upon further questioning from the coaches (who had already contacted this vendor earlier to verify that he had them) they learned that Richlands had purchased them. So maybe the bad taste comes from Richlands being able to pony up the money quicker and bought Salems cleats. But I'm sure if we could go back in time that the cleats on RHS players were not the only oversized cleats on that feild in 1992!!!! Cleats that were 3/4 or 7/8 would not have helped either team that day I was there the field was a mess not because of any wrongdoing from RHS players parents or coaches. It's called "WINTER- the wet season" and is part of life in these here hills. There was a helicopter brought in for 2hours prior to that game and it hovered over the field just inches off the ground trying to dry it up. If no one has noticed our field lies in a depression between two schools and has asphalt all around it all that water has to go somewhere.

GO BLUES!!!!!

I was a member of the '92 Blues. And I am sick and tired of seeing our team, school, town, and Dennis Vaught under attack. The reason we defeated Salem and Orange had nothing to do with equipment. We had more heart, excellent talent and SUPERIOR COACHING! The mistake was admitted, not that it had any effect on the outcome. The '92 team should not be remembered for "cleatgate" (I hate that term), But, instead be remembered as the best damn team in the state that year! As for Dennis Vaught, I know Dennis Vaught, he is a caring and compassionate man. The lessons I learned from him have helped me throughout my life! It pains me to see him still being targeted and slandered.

[ QUOTE ]

"If Salem loses Saturday we'll take it and go on."

You haven't been able to swallow the loss from twelve years ago. Look at how the representatives of your community act when the memory comes to mind (on television no less). What makes you think you'll be able to handle the dejection this time?

[/ QUOTE ]

And you sir, have not been able to swallow the fact that "your coach CHEATED" twelve years ago.

What representatives are you talking about, a 17 year old kid? Give me a break.

What makes me think we'll be able to handle the dejection if we lose? Hell it's simple my boy. We've lost before in regular season games, in district championship games, in regional play-off games, in state semi-final games and in state championship games. We have lost with dignity and we have carried on. We are one of the most successful programs in the State of Virginia. We didn't get that way by tucking our tails.

Have a good one my boy. See you Saturday!

GO SALEM

GO MULES

GO TRUTH

[ QUOTE ]

Cleatgate or not 1/8" longer cleats on that field we not going to help anybody. Furthermore if memory serves me well our stadium was refered to by Willis White as a Pig Sty. Also if memory serves well I think that salem learned of the RHS purchase of these "Illeagal Cleats" well before the game was even played when their coaches went to the same sporting goods store to purchase the same items and he told them that he had to order them and that they may or may not be in stock in time for the game. Upon further questioning from the coaches (who had already contacted this vendor earlier to verify that he had them) they learned that Richlands had purchased them. So maybe the bad taste comes from Richlands being able to pony up the money quicker and bought Salems cleats. But I'm sure if we could go back in time that the cleats on RHS players were not the only oversized cleats on that feild in 1992!!!! Cleats that were 3/4 or 7/8 would not have helped either team that day I was there the field was a mess not because of any wrongdoing from RHS players parents or coaches. It's called "WINTER- the wet season" and is part of life in these here hills. There was a helicopter brought in for 2hours prior to that game and it hovered over the field just inches off the ground trying to dry it up. If no one has noticed our field lies in a depression between two schools and has asphalt all around it all that water has to go somewhere.

GO BLUES!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, if the cleats didn't matter then why the hell did vaught use them? Was he looking for an edge? Did he not have confidence in his team? Why? Why? Why? I'd be very interested in your answer.

Ol boy if 1/8" didn't matter you would have been the best man at the wedding!

GO SALEM

GO MULES

333, you are showing some class there, aren't you? I didn't see either of these guys down Salem or the football program at all. They are just simply venting their frustration of having to hear about this mess year in and year out...........No need to start degrading the person. IMO.........

[ QUOTE ]

333, you are showing some class there, aren't you? I didn't see either of these guys down Salem or the football program at all. They are just simply venting their frustration of having to hear about this mess year in and year out...........No need to start degrading the person. IMO.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Young man if you haven't seen any of these guys down Salem then you are either blind or naive or you haven't read the posts. i guess when you tell someone they "slithered down into AA" that's a compliment, huh?

The comment at the end of my latest post was meant to add a bit of levity to the post. I apologize if I offended you. I didn't mean to.

Believe me, I'm tired of hearing it too but somehow I'm not convinced that G-MAN is.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

I was born and raised in Richlands. I graduated from RHS in 1978. I am a huge fan of the Blue Tornado, and will be at Ernie Hicks stadium on saturday cheering them on.

That being said, I do wish other folks here in Richlands would quit being so defensive about what happened in 1992. What our head coach did was wrong. The illegal cleats were one thing, the lying about it afterward was another. There was no way we could excuse it (although many here have tried). What made me sad in 1992 was that those defending the coach felt that his actions should be forgiven and forgotten. He should have been (as a teacher)a moral example to our players and he failed.

Do I think the cleats impacted the game? I don't honestly have any idea. I do know we had an outstanding team and their accomplishment is definitely tarnished to those outside our town. Unfortunately, there is no way of changing that situation, although I do think a victory on saturday would go along way towards making the events of 1992 seem less significant.

t honestly