Gretna, a power house...or a joke!

jbob1

Is Gretna the team that everyone makes them out to be? True they got a 4 star rated QB that signed at UVA, but that doesn't make a team. Oh yea, and didn't Christiansburg almost win, and wasn't Gretna the top seed. If you ask me I think that they aren't the team that everyone makes them out to be.

Go Cats!!!

Go Hokies!!!

P.S. With this being said, I still think that Tazewell hasn't a slight chance of beating Gretna.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a team that has won 26 straight games or ever how many is a joke... smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say they were a joke, I said they could be, but there going to beat the living crap out of Tazewell!!!

are you really crazy? Gretna is the best team i have seen play and Vic Hall is really signed for UVA next year. and christiansburg isnt a slouch or just a blowover. Christiansburg is a tough team that upset salem. and could have been the other team to win state if Gretna didnt beat them and probably win state. that being said if gretna is a joke then they are not a good one. my prediction is:

Gretna-56 Tazewell-7

Overall Gretna may be weaker than last year, mainly on defense. They have given up more points than many expected in the playoffs. Since Gretna doesn't play any players both ways all the time, I'm thinking maybe less talented players have been put on defense. They keep the offense fresher this way and force you to score alot of points to keep up. Some teams can hang for a half or longer, but when the 4th q. comes their opponents are more worn down. Think about a team who plays most their players both ways trying to chase Hall around in the 4th q. when he's been on the field maybe half the time.

Salem has excellent speed at the skill positions. They like to spread teams out and use that speed. They didn't seem to be real physical on the offensive line, but maybe that's Magenbauer's new offensive style. Their defense is pretty solid, but not as dominant as some of their previous teams.

PC had more yards rushing and total offense, along with more first downs and time of possesion against Salem. But we couldn't hold onto the ball. The field conditions (see picture) were similar to what you might see Saturday, and that should slow down Salem's speed a little bit, as it did in our game.

salem10-Hodge_sacks_QB.jpg

Thanks Cougarfan. I knew Salem was a speed team, and I read about the Hairston kid on CougarDaves corner on your website. By the way, heck of a job with that! I really enjoy reading the site. I kept up with the Cougars basically all season. I was going to go to the Salem/PC game, but because of travel time/school, I wasn't able to attend.

Gretna is the real deal, but they can be beaten just like any other team in the nation. They probably have 5+ of the top players in the state on that team in AA ball.

Grundy would have given them a run for the money and I figure Richlands and Bluefield would to if given the chance...it will be interesting to see what happens when the pads start poppin' with Tazewell. You have two very different styles of football in those teams...the game will have to be played in one or the other...whoever controls the tempo of the game has the upper hand.

everyone's luck runs out at some point...

Lance, have you seen Gretna this year? I only saw one player that you could claim is one of the top players in the state, and I think you know who that is. And if they actually have 5+ of the top players in the state, they ought to think about putting some of them on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree that Grundy, Richlands, Bluefield and even Pulaski Co., Salem, Liberty, Amherst, etc. would all give Gretna a run if given the chance.

I think Hall can throw the ball, but someone has to catch it...the receivers and Reynolds would shine on any team. Hubbard is also a great kid and I'd consider him one of the best in the state.

And I have seen a lot of film on Gretna, but have not had a chance to see them in person.

I'm not sayint these players are "THE" best in the stae, I'm just saying that they have at least 5 I would personally consider "among" the best in the state at AA level. I think Grundy has at least 3 that I would consider and Richlnads has at least 4 I would consider in that class.