Who is the coach of the year in the region?

jbob1

In my opinion, I would have to say Terry Smith for Va High. The reason is, he took a team that could have did a lot of great things last year, that was down, but ready to fight. He came in with an attitude to win, and we did win this year. He brought a 3-7 team, to a 5-7 Highlands, and Region Semis Champs. I believe this a great accomplishment to achieve, because he came from a good Jefferson Forrest team, to a smaller, average team, and turned them into champs! That's my opinion, and i'm sticking to it!!!!

Guest old_school

Bobby Wyatt, hands down. He took a Tazewell squad that went 1-9 last year to playing for a trip to the state championship. He came from Pocahontas and changed the attitude of the team around. The players actually think they can win football games now. If Va High had beat Tazewell last week, Smith may get my nod but they didn't.

Stick to your opinion all you want, but when is a 5-7 record considered "champ" material? That's below .500 just in case you didn't notice. Normally a coach that performs well breaks over .500. And "Region Semi-Champs?" What the hell is that? lol. There's no such thing the last time I checked.

You've got a lot of spunk, you are the only one left from the Bearcat Bandwagon still on here blowing his trumpet solo.

Of course, I know you're going to say that I'm still bitter over the first round of the playoffs, and you're damn right I still am. The coach of the team that finally shut you guys up should be the one that wins the coach of the year in the region, Coach Wyatt. Tazewell was a 1-9 team last year, this year they are 6-4, and they are the Region champs. He is more deserving of the award. And that's not opinion, that's the cold hard truth.

DMAN you and all the wave fans sure do know how to pick on a Bearcat do ya? Man you know i'm going to bring up that we beat you. So, we beat you. OK, is that better.

And thats the COLD HARD TRUTH!

okay bob wyatt was a deceint coach...but he was not a Terry Smith terry had a hell of a year coaching...he gave the team intinsity and heart to the team he let everyone kno he was ready to send VHS to the state finals..i mean c'mon ne coach who comes in 1st year takes a team like V-high to not one championship but 2 he is a hell of a coach thats all im sayin.......

I understand what you're saying. Terry Smith did take VHS to the playoffs, and he did beat a 9-1 Grundy team, but he greatly benefited from playing in a very weak Highlands District. His record outside that district was not impressive. Bobby Wyatt had a winning record in a much stronger SWD and has his team in the State Semi-Finals.

I think in time VHS can be the Bearcats of old...but they're not this year.

Gotta give the COTY to Wyatt this year. He has done a great job. Tazewell was a more intense football team this year than in recent years. I also thought they were better at the end of November than they were at the beginning of October. Good coaches make their team better throughout the year, and it appeared to me that Coach Wyatt had done that. His team had much better performances against Graham and V-high the second time around.(for us, that might also have had something to do with #73 Burton playing the 2nd game, he's a good football player)

That said, I think it is only fair to look at it from the other side for a minute. When did Wyatt take over? The summer? Even if it was earlier than that, some credit has to be given to Coach Hart(think that was it) for building the foundation for this season. He or somebody else at Tazewell has spent a lot of time in the weightroom developing those boys. It wasn't an overnight thing. Wyatt definitely deserves a whole lot of credit for bringing a new attitude/intensity that i think a lot of swva saw this year. But we can't foret Hart endured some tough times, and from the looks of that senior class this year, he didn't get to enjoy the spoils.

Coach Smith has done a lot of the same things for V-high in his first season. He has brought a new level of excitement, intensity, and dedication to the bearcat football program. However, he is NOT the COTY this year. Ole wave fan is right, 5-7 is not COTY material. We are on the right track though. Hopefully, the win over Grundy is just the first of many steps our program is getting ready to take in the right direction.

Has anyone else stepped back and looked at the big picture of the 2004 season yet in Region 4, Division 3? We have a saw a great thing happen for all true fans of swva football. The seasons of Tazewell and Virginia High have brought new life to R4/D3. For the next couple years we are gonna have some great football games. It's no longer a two horse race...now we got a four team battle for Region supremacy. grin.gif

"strong as a Bear, quick as a Cat

Good luck tryin' to **** with that." cool.gif

If Richlands beats Salem this weekend, my vote for "Coach of the Year" goes to Greg Mance in Richlands. He did not have to do the restoration Wyatt has done in Tazewell, but he has taken a strong team and made them championship material.

HOWEVER, if Richlands loses, Wyatt should get the nod. This contradicts what I have said in the past, but in retropsect, he did take a team that did not believe in itself, and gave them the spirit needed to advance to the Virginia semi-finals.

In other words, I abstain my vote until after this weekend. confused.gif

Wyatt, hands down. Tazewell was less than mediocre last year, and Wyatt made them without a shadow of a doubt one of the toughest damn bunches in SWVA!

On the VA. High side, I'll say congrats to Terry Smith, he went to the region finals in his first year. That is all I will say. He also seems to be in good with his players, they are still on his bandwagon. grin.gif

Ok, First of all I think This VA High Guy is halarious! I'm not just saying this because I am from Tazewell either. And I have nothing to say about Tazewell's coach, because obviously everyone else had already said it and no need to repeat it. The team is getting stronger every game, and I really have hope for them on Saturday(of course i'll be there to support them) <font color="green"> </font>

Hey, i gave credit where it was due and talked down about nobody in that post. As i said, I agree with most people on the board that Wyatt should win COTY. All i was sayin' with the rest is that the coaches who have been there and are still there deserve a lot of credit too, you don't get a team that strong and physical in a few months. It would be unbelievable if Tazewell could pull it off this weekend and send a message to the rest of this pompous, higher populated state. Good luck Tazewell!

Since you took your daily low blow Lance...no need to keep tryin' bud, we already gotcha. shocked.gif

Maybe Grundy can get a banner that says, "The best team in the region by far, we just lost in the first round" grin.gif

"Strong as a Bear, Quick as a Cat

Nobody wants to **** with that!"

hey...it was one of your guys that made the statement not me...I just suggested a banner for the stadium..lmfao. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

jbob1 said: He came in with an attitude to win, and we did win this year. He brought a 3-7 team, to a 5-7 Highlands, and Region Semis Champs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in single A it should be Coach Henly. He did a good job coaching the Pioneers to a 10-1 record and also going against Richlands good, even if it was for one half lol. He really deserves it if the Pioneers do it again next year. But I think it will be either Mance or Tazewell. I'm thinking Tazewell.