We haven't gone anywhere....

Willie

I see some of you Bluefield fans are wondering where the JM fans are. I guess you all are tired of just talking to each other. lol. I was laying low and letting you all enjoy your victory. I didn't want to interfere. I see one of you called us turds, now that hurts. I will be glad to accept your apology. Anyway I'm still here, and it's good to know you all are thinking about us...............

saw a thing on the NFL channel over the weekend about a school in texas I think that runs it, wins state every couple of years...they had a whole special on single wing teams...lol.

I'm no expert on the offense, but I have read that Giles (easily the closest local team that effectively uses the Single Wing) teaches the offense to its kids from the pee wee and little league levels up through middle school/jv ball.

Of course, if kids are brought up learning to play a specific way the high school wants taught then I am sure it will display better results than a non-program.

Yeah, but back in the day Lance, Vansant, maybe your an alumnus used to dominate every season. It was always Vansant and Harman for the title. Back on subject though, when I played, we were taught I-form, double team blocks, Power I, stuff like that. Just basic football, but it does sound like Giles is onto something with the program. ooo.gif

Willie, it's always a pleasure to hear from you. The championship festivities wouldn't be the same without you and I commend you for having the class to step forward and make your presence known.

That's just it, it's an o that players must really know well, and as is the case with giles, they should learn it in elementary school. I'm not certain how effective it can be otherwise.

I thought that james monroe had a good style of o when they had a qb who could basically go from a shotgun and do whatever with the ball. Granted you don't have a thornton doing that every season, but even so, a good athlete such as, newberry was it?, doing so put the ball in the best players hands and seemed to be very effective. There weren't a lot of formations to read, and they the qb's could do whatever simply using their abilities.

I agree I'm not certain how far james monroe can go in the playoffs with it, without knowing it a lot better.

Seems to me for it really to be effective, you'd have to have 3 rb's using it who are all capable qb's and the pass from it would have to be a legit passing game.

At least that's how I see it.

Giles emphasizes blocking probably more than anyone. Single wing is basic smashmouth football. The line has to block like crazy, the backs have to block. When the blocking is done right, with the unbalanced line, and the angles, it is always good for 5-6 yards a play. Its hard to stop even if they tell you exactly where the ball is going. Its much better if you have a passing game. Giles only passes out of necessity, and to set the other team up. Its very effective. It takes more than 2 years to perfect. JM has done very well the 1st 2 years with a new coach and new offense. By the way Lance, if you know of any more single wing specials on TV, let me know. Im always a day late. I appreciate it.