2004 Football "Atmosphere" Awards

BigD4VT

Just something to add to VCATS post below.

BEST STADIUM - Graham/Bluefield

BEST FIELD - Tazewell

BEST FOOD - (I didn't eat at a single stadium)

BEST PA ANNOUNCER - Virginia High

BEST PARKING - Graham/Bluefield

LOUDEST FANS - Richlands

BEST HOSTING FANS - Grundy

BEST BAND - Richlands

BEST CHEERLEADERS - Virginia High

BEST FRIDAY NIGHT ATMOSPHERE - Gate City

*Based solely on what I have seen in person*

Of the games I have watched in person this year, and not played in-

BEST STADIUM - Grundy. Although I am bised, with the addition of the visitors fieldhouse, and more than ample seating, it is one of the best around. Especially the first few weeks of the season, before time changes and the field gets muddy.

BEST FIELD - VA. High without a doubt. Best field in the state that isn't turf.

BEST FOOD- Mitchell Stadium.

BEST PA ANNOUNCER - Not for sure on that one.

BEST PARKING- Without a doubt Mitchell Stadium, but Grundy isn't bad at all when we don't have a wreck and road construction on the same night. mad.gif

LOUDEST FANS- Richlands. Ernie Hicks was a madhouse in the Region 4 finals.

BEST HOSTING FANS- Gotta go with my hometown. Can't beat the good hospitality of the Grundy fans.

BEST BAND- Richlands.

BEST CHEERLEADERS- Richlands.

BEST ATMOSPHHERE- Although I may be biased, but I'm going with Grundy. The lighting adds an eerie effect for a place to play at, and Grundy is ranked pretty darn high in all the categories in my mind, so im going with Grundy.

BEST HOMETOWN REFS- It's simple, Carroll County.

And I have to add another one,

BEST ENTRANCE- Richlands/Grundy- Richlands should win hands down with the tunnel and all, but, I still love the stack jump. wink.gif

I forgot about "Best Entrance". Richlands has really turned that into a show in itself. Lee High should also be mentioned with the cannon, horse and general.

I'm sure the VHS field is good for the players but I was thinking more about how it looks. Tazewell had the best looking field in November when most people had mud. At VHS I equate the brown grass and black lines with the blue turf and orange lines of Boise. Just doesn't look right.

I didn't really pay that much attention to the VHS cheerleaders other than I saw about a hundred of them selling 50/50 tickets between the parking lot and stadium, then once I got inside I saw another hundred or so warming up. I think the Richlands cheerleaders do a great job but there aren't that many of them this year.

Grundy has the best field house but the visting stands suck being on one side of the 50. The speakers on that side that the PA guy likes to torture us with would have been ripped down if I could reach them. Finally, the bathrooms are terrible. They don't even have water to wash your hands. I had to buy a bottle of water to wash my 5/yo nephew's hands.

As I said, I am slightly biased. I have never sat on the visting side at Grundy, and I never really went to the bathrooms when I went to games there. That is something they should redo this year. The bathrooms have been there since 81, and have never been redone. They should at least redo the sinks and stuff.

The worst intrance has to be bluefield hands down

2 sides, 2 ticket vendors, 2 ticket takers on each side, 4,000 people

it just dont work

I think at the bottom of the hill they should have people selling tickets so people can go on ahead through insted of waiting in line, the worst case ive seen this year for me personally was the bluefield- mt. view game

like i said before, anyone who knows what the bathrooms at Grundy's stadium look like is more brave than me...i went to school there and i have never gone in them...lol.

Parking - you gotta be kidding me...the parking at Grundy is horrible...when the Y and the hospital both get pissy and don't let people park there, you are screwed.

Stadium - the PA system at Grundy is pure hell on the ears. Then there is the music that gets played...Cotton Eyed Joe should be banned from the tape/cd player. The speakers are also placed in the worst possible location they could be in and they disrupt the view of the game. The field is horrible the last 3 weeks of the season.

Grundy has a great place, one of the best around...still needs a lot of upgrades to be one of the top 3 or 4 though.

Atmosphere - it's sad, but most of the time it's just a big social outing at Grundy...the women sit around and gossip and talk and stand around blocking peoples view trying to watch the game saying stuff about "so and so's hair looks bad" or whatever...and they bring the dog with them and walk around the whole game to show it off or something? People bring their kids out and they run around unsupervised raising hell not watching the game...if a big play breaks out people watch the game...other than that they mostly just sit around and socialize...it sucks...there areabout 50 people that are in to the game and cheer and yell and stuff...and the Law School people go up there and are about the most annoying people on the planet to sit around...they have no interest in the game and sit there and make stupid snide remarks and think they are funny and way better than anyone else...its pathetic...if you want to see atmosphere...go to a Gate City game...Richlands is pretty good to...Grundy could be a great place...I watched a film from 88 the other day that someone brought me and you should hear the crowd...for most of the game there was a lot of crowd noise...you watch any of the films from this year...most of the time it's so quiet you can hear the cheerleaders perfect on the tape...and with the team Grundy has had the past couple of years the fans should be going crazy...they have been treated to some good football...and the kids deserve better.

I think the PA thing would help a lot and I think the music that gets played has a lot to do with the atmosphere...60's music was real cool 40 years ago I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a grundy fan to the end, but there are a few things that I would like to see change personally...so that's all I'm saying...maybe some of you other Wave fans don't agree, but that's just my brutal honesty for the night.

I agree Lance. We have no student section, and only 50-100 fans are there for Grundy football. It sucks when you are tryin to pump the crowd up and they just sit there like, wtf is wrong with them. They just basically talk. And the ASL, a blessing's ass. It has done well for the economy, and Mr. Gore is one of the finest people I have ever met in my life, but other than that, it hasn't helped that much. What happened to that WAVE pride? I guess it left and went to Abingdon too or something.

i honestly think its got a lot to do with the PA and the music played...hard to get people "pumped" up with Cotton Eyed Joe and "do-wop" music...and while i'm at it...someone needs to get the band in to it or just leave them at home...they sit up there and pay more attention to the other teams band than anything else...and half the time you have the band playing "Mr. Roboto" and the PA playing "Cotton Eyed Joe" at the same time...wtf??? The band has uniforms...why do they only wear them 3 games a year?

Ok start with that...you fix those two things...the PA and the band and thats a great start...get the band to make some noise and watch the games and let them wear the uniforms and go to the away games and have some fun...they should be the 12th man on the field. Richlands and Graham have that element down to a science...when the Graham band starts up, you hear them...more important they play at the correct times mostly.

As far as PA goes, Tazewell and Graham both have good systems...I'd like to see Grundy put a couple of speakers down on the field house face one each way towards the visitor and home sides...

Yeah, we definitely need to get a new soundtrack...lol..I think a good thing for the bad would be to sit them in the middle section, like most other schools, and near the bottom for god sakes! Then we need a student cheering section on either side of that, make it like 3 dollars for students to get in but you have to sit in that section...You could even put the band on one side on the bottom though and the students beside of them...Just a few suggestions to go along with yours.

I think they are ok sitting where they are...the few fans that are in to the games and most of the parents sit in the center section...if you had the band on one end, and a student section on the other end or even down near the band it would be a lot of fun.

Oh and to the other guy...Grundy has a huge grill also...lol.

BEST HOSTING FANS...........

RICHLANDS TO SALEM, hands down. That's all they've talked about here in Salem since we got back. Thank you, thank you, thank you...........

[ QUOTE ]

BEST HOSTING FANS...........

RICHLANDS TO SALEM, hands down. That's all they've talked about here in Salem since we got back. Thank you, thank you, thank you...........

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad. It's much better to be known for hospitality than for cheating. I just hope the media is aware of it. Also hope they looked up and saw the words "Ernie Hicks Stadium" and remember it next time. "Hicks field" was not cool.

You left some out.

BEST PLACE TO SIT IN PEACE AND DRINK BURBON BEFORE GAME- Grahan/Bluefield (Must park on Virginia Side, as Bluefield West Virginia cops will be directing traffic).

BEST PLACE TO PASS OUT DUE TO "OVERDOING IT"- Tazewell, bewteen the home seating and the East Parking lot, on grassy hill.

BEST PLACE NOT TO SEE A FOOTBALL GAME- Richlands visitor side. I swear its like looking up from a hole to watch a game, no matter how high you sit.

BEST PLACE TO "GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE" WHEN IT DOES NOT GO YOUR WAY- Richlands. Climb up out of the hole and go home.

BEST PLACE TO PUT YOUR/WIFES CAR IN A DITCH- Gate City, It's like driving around in the Black Forest in combat blackout.