bluefield, only 6 games scheduled for '05?

buzzsawBeaver

I read this on the wvssac site,

"Bluefield HS has openings on the 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 11th play dates for 2005. Contact Mark Godfrey at 325-9116."

4th week has been oak hill in recent seasons, 3rd was beckley, 6th martinsburg and the 11th lee high and we knew those games weren't schedule for '05, but I didn't know anything about oak hill.

Thats a lot of games to schedule.

site is here,

wvssac site

if 9 - 16 is the 4th week, looks as if huntington has a game to schedule that week. That would be a good team to schedule in my opinion.

Also seems that nitro has a game to schedule 11 - 4, if that's the 11th week, and john marshall 2games to schedule 9 -16 and 11 - 4. Wheeling central 9 - 16.

I bet Grundy would gladly take one of those weeks if they will agree to play one in grundy and one in bluefield...from what i heard they wanted 2 years and both played in bluefield?

Beavers trying to work up to just playing at home all season or what? lol

Well it seems 1 and 1 would be fair for certain, as for their h game strategy, could be though, they were at mitchell stadium till almost mid oct. in '04.

Also maybe they're hesitant to trave to grundy already traveling to lee high, who knows.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing some different sw district teams than graham on their schedule.

I recall our senior year in '84 we traveled to logan and point pleasant 2 weeks in a row, logan especially wasn't easy travel. Point pleasant wasn't so bad really aside from the length of travel the week before the game in logan.

Thinkin about it anyhow, it might be herbert hoover and bluefield who aren't scheduling more games in '05, I recall that was a 2 game series at 1st, and herbert hoover scheduled themselves out of the playoff in '03 and '04. So maybe that's the difference. Even so, '05 they should return a strong aa team and bluefield should be inexperienced early, so I'd think they'd schedule bluefield and do away with more of the aaa teams they have on their schedule. They also have 2 more dates to schedule games, but they don't list the 4th week, maybe they already have another team for that week. Who knows though.

You cannot just look at the open weeks and assume the teams that won't return to the schedule. I'd be surprised if Oak Hill isn't on the Bluefield schedule and if you look at the 2004 schedule Oak Hill was the 5th week game. Beaver was open on the 4th week b/c of the hurricane pushing back the Hoover game. Maybe Bluefield and Hoover have decided to keep their game on the 9th week.

Also if you look at it like this, there are 11 weeks in a season which means every team has one open week. I'd be willing to bet that Bluefield has seven teams on the schedule and is looking for three teams to fill any one of the remaining four open dates.

You might each be correct, as for Br, wasn't certain how to consider it, but in hindsight thinking about it, herbert hoover was the 3rd game in '03, but was week 4, I didn't consider the open date in week 3, beckley filled that. Also in hindsight I'd bet oak hill will likely be on the schedule also.

And you might be correct hillbilly, but herbert hoover was a 2 games series at 1st, of course perhaps they scheduled another series long ago.

We'll see.

This years schedule will tell what kind of team Coach Simon thinks his will have. But i guess we wont find out what kind of team Bluefield will really have until Feb. 2, when high school recruits decide if they want to stay at the high school they are at or if they want to go to play for Coach Simon at Bluefield U. Because I did hear that Coach Simon was offering Full Rides and are in need of talent. It will be interesting to see where this class of recruits will be from. But the schedule will say the size of Coach Simon's ego this year. Because I know if his ego isn't as big as it was last year then i know for damn sure he wont try to pick up martinsburg.

[ QUOTE ]

This years schedule will tell what kind of team Coach Simon thinks his will have. But i guess we wont find out what kind of team Bluefield will really have until Feb. 2, when high school recruits decide if they want to stay at the high school they are at or if they want to go to play for Coach Simon at Bluefield U. Because I did hear that Coach Simon was offering Full Rides and are in need of talent. It will be interesting to see where this class of recruits will be from. But the schedule will say the size of Coach Simon's ego this year. Because I know if his ego isn't as big as it was last year then i know for damn sure he wont try to pick up martinsburg.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO. It's funny, I never saw Princeton people complaining about recruiting when they were the ones taking players from Bluefield over the years. I didn't hear Princeton people crying about recruiting when Spardo promised the world to Mike Davis to get him to transfer to Princeton after his freshman season. I didn't hear Princeton people crying when their entire backfield during the mid-1990s of Derrick Pack and Jason Ponder transfered in from Bluefield. I'm not even going to mention the Bluefield to Princeton transfers prior to that. Now Bluefield gets one Princeton transfer in Johnathan Repass and the Princeton people are crying their eyes out about recruiting. Some friendly advice, get over it.

I guess the Princeton kids might be getting wise to the fact that if they want to ever accomplish and win anything like a state title they need to come play for a real program.

And just for further knowledge, the Bluefield/Martinsburg game was a one year deal at the request of Martinsburg.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, that is interesting. Define 'Full Rides' please. Last time I checked this was high school football and not college, so I'm not really sure what Coach Simon could offer them as far as a 'Full Ride' goes unless it's free or reduced lunch in the cafeteria. It's been a fact for several years that Coach Simon doesn't help his players with furthering their careers into college.