Bluefield vs. Graham part. 2

bluefieldRocks

[ QUOTE ]

i herd the reff's made some pretty bad calls

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure JuiceDawg would have mentioned that since he is a neutral party...however, since he didn't, I would have to take your comment with a grain of salt...

G-Men outlast Beavers

Posted: Friday, Jan 07, 2005 - 11:28:10 pm EST

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Tough game in the paint ... Graham G-Man Brandon Puckett (42) challenges a shot by Bluefield Beaver Tremayne Matthews (33) Friday night in action at Graham Middle School. Graham won the indoor Battle of the Bluefields 69-59 to earn a split in the season series between Bluefield's two high schools. (Staff photo by Eric DiNovo)

BLUEFIELD - The Graham G-Men had the answer for everything the talented Bluefield Beavers threw at them on Friday night, taking a 69-59 win over their crosstown rivals on the court at Graham Middle School.

Graham coach Glynn Carlock Jr. said, "This is the first time all season we've really put a complete game together, and we couldn't have picked a better time."

The G-Men never trailed after breaking an 11-11 tie in the last two minutes of the initial period with a 7-3 run. The G-Men hit three 3-pointers in the first quarter.

Bluefield pulled within one point of a tie on three occasions in the second stanza, but Graham closed out the final 1:19 of the half with a 4-for-4 performance at the foul line. Jake Remine's only field goal of the half finished a 6-1 run to conclude the period, and the G-Men held a 37-30 spread at the buzzer.

The two teams raced the court in the third, combining for 41 points. Bluefield pulled together an 8-2 run in the middle of the period to threaten again at 43-40 before the G-Men scrambled back.

Graham held a 56-49 lead with 11.2 seconds left in the quarter when Graham's Robert Henry was fouled on a drive to the hoop. Bluefield coach Ernie Gilliard argued with the official, drawing a technical foul, but each of the resultant foul tries missed.

It remained for Graham's Matt Yost to hit a trey at the buzzer - his only points of the night - to give his team a 10-point margin going into the final frame.

With three minutes left on the clock, Bluefield trailed 61-55, only to go 2-for-8 at the foul line in the remainder of the game. Graham was 6-for-11 at the charity stripe in that span.

Gilliard said, "We probably had two possessions where we could've tied it up, but we didn't handle the ball well (or) didn't make foul shots. Our hats are off to Graham - they played harder than we did tonight. They played smarter than we did.

"This is a learning process for us. We'll look at the film ... correct our mistakes, and get ready for the next game."

Remines led Graham's scoring with 18 points, including 11 successful foul tries. Eric Hoosier added 13 and both Kevin Matthews and Mike Alvis scored 11.

Johnathon Repass had eight of the Beavers' 22 field goals and ended with 20 points. Tremayne Matthews notched 14 points, 14 rebounds and three blocked shots.

Recounting his team's reactions at intermission, Carlock said, "I could tell by the look on their faces at halftime, I could tell they were ready to play for two more quarters."

The Beavers, ranked third in West Virginia Class AA, will play at Shady Spring on Tuesday night, while Graham will be at Marion.

At Graham Middle School

Bluefield (5-3)................14 16 19 10 - 59

A pretty embarrassing loss for Bluefield...

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield didnt impress me

[/ QUOTE ]

And they don't impress anyone within Bluefield either. I haven't watched them play as of yet, but various people have told me this is the worst defensive team in a decade at Bluefield. They also cannot make a free-throw to save their life. I'm not sweating it though, I didn't expect to win a championship in basketball this year and am fully content with our football state title.

i was at the game last night and i must say the officals were terrible. not just on the bluefield end but on the g man side too. but some of the calls that were made against the beavers reminded me of the shady spring football game. when an offical takes up most of a coaches time out just to give him heck. thats pretty bad officating. it seemed like the officals were more concerned with coah gillard than with the game. and if the beavers would have hit there free throws they would have won the game.