Ridgeview @ Central

redtiger

Tough loss for the Wolfpack. When your interior O and D linemen are getting shoved into the backfield/into the linebackers youre not gonna win. Central recorded a Sack on a Lead play to the RB(yes you read that right). 

Centrals QB had a BIG night running the ball, kid is a good player.

Lots of work for the Wolfpack going forward and unfortunately the next 4 weeks is a rough stretch.

Oh and parking is HORRIBLE at Central. 1 way in and 1 way out. I sat in traffic for 30 minutes and others sat far longer than me. There is an overflow parking lot on the right as youre going up the hill, it means an up hill walk but If you can I would suggest parking there(facing out).  Also not nearly enough visitor seating. There was 300+ fans standing along the fence and the PA announcer asked everyone to not stand by the fence(really?) 

We had no pretenses about the parking folks. We warned you all. As for the game, it was irritating hearing the Ridgeview fans bashing their team after the game. Let's give a good Central team some credit. Very physical and aggressive on defense and totally disrupted the Wolfpack offense. Ridgeview was very lucky that so many Warrior turnovers only had them down 7-0 at the half. Obviously we've got to clean the turnovers up, but make no mistake about it, Central is turning the corner and that's good for what's becoming a very strong league

My observations about the game. 1. Dalton Mullins qb of Central did a great job. 2. No long pass plays by the Wolfpack never gave them any air attack. Austin Turner would have been great to have back on this team. 3. Warrior defense deserves a lot of credit for holding Ridgeview after fumbles by Central's offense gave the Wolfpack opportunities to tie the game. 4. The stadium is real nice. The parking is horrible. 5. Ridgeview will have to be mentally strong as they play some tough games the next few weeks. Can they regroup or implode. Lot's of football left!

I love the field and the view..but parking is horrid and I don't understand the seating and walk way being on bleachers and having to pass by ppl to just go around the field...poor design I thought and a lot of people mentioned it also..

But congrats to the warriors, well played game

Obviously we've got to clean the turnovers up, but make no mistake about it, Central is turning the corner and that's good for what's becoming a very strong league

Far too many turnovers. If Central can clean that up they could have a big season ahead of them. Centrals QB looked good and was the best player on the field last night. I think we rally missed Hill on Offense and I know we did on Defense. Gotta sure some things up and move forward.  

I hope Central is turning the corner and I believe they are. I heard a lot of negativity from fans as well. I will nitpick performance and coaching decisions but I heard some pretty bad stuff. I think the issue comes from 2 sources, 1) Some of the fans felt that "Clintwood beat Central but combined we cant?!!!!" , thats not a realistic understanding of football but its one many casual fans have and 2) late in the 4th, with time ticking away we are still trying to run the ball between the tackles, as if thats some kind of surprise given the style of Offense Mullins utilizes.

Very well played game by Central, tough Defense and VERY good play calling/execution on Offense. 

No long pass plays by the Wolfpack never gave them any air attack. Austin Turner would have been great to have back on this team. 

I dont think thats the issue, Artrip(the target of most of the deep passes) is a very good and very capable receiver. To me the issue is Mullins calling deep passes. Reynolds doesent have the arm for that, he was put in a position where he has a very low chance of success. I had hoped for a Haysi style passing game but last night we got the traditional Clintwood passing game(more or less), send them deep and throw it up

yea, some people, won't call them fans, seem to think we  should be world beaters, some of the crap I heard, was disgusting, you know, word gets out, and  these  "people", if they run their mouths at any future home games, will be banned from attending...from some of the looks the real fans was giving them, I figure it will work itself out...if you know what I  mean.........................

If folks were using the thought process that because Clintwood beat Cebtral, they forgot to factor in some things. Central actually has some coaching now. Last year they were in almost every game, and should have won some of them. They were competitive- just had to learn how to finish and win them. Last night when Ridgeview closed the gap to 14-7 and Central fumbled right after, folks were saying " Here we go again". Not only did the defense hold, but we scored again and finished the Wolfpack off. This squad not only showed physical toughness, but what they have been missing as well over the years- mental toughness. There's nothing wrong with losing to Central anymore folks. They're gonna do some winning

yea, some people, won't call them fans, seem to think we  should be world beaters, some of the crap I heard, was disgusting, you know, word gets out, and  these  "people", if they run their mouths at any future home games, will be banned from attending...from some of the looks the real fans was giving them, I figure it will work itself out...if you know what I  mean.........................

Heard some of the same stuff at Union from BOTH Appy and PV folks. People expected a state championship the first year. Both programs had been run into the ground before consolidation.People were calling for Turner's head the first year. It has taken time to build that program.

This is the first year that ALL players are 100% Union students (last year still had a few players that were 8th grade Appy high students or 8th grade PV football). So, there are no kids left that played football the PV way or the Appy way. It is now the UNION way. I believe that makes a difference.

Depending on how the season goes for Ridgeview the fan complaints may get better or worse, but as ALL students become 100% Ridgeview students it will be better.

Got it everywhere, it's Bobcat and Bulldog pride and jealousy here.  People have a hard time letting go of their old school pride.  I heard from some folks over in Harlan County that people there would go on about the amount of kids each former school had on a team; for example the football team may have more from Cawood or the baseball team be filled with Cumberland kids, and so forth.  Hang in there, like Union_Fan said, it may get worse before better, but either way in the long run it will improve.   Union, Central, and these newer consolidated school will still have to deal with parents that we are part of those older schools, but fortunately for us down here in Lee we're starting to move past that and eventually more toward parents that are Lee alumni.

One thing I haven't heard is "why is that Clintwood/Haysi kid starting instead of the Haysi/Clintwood kid?!"   thank goodness. Generally in the stands you see Haysi/Clintwood people setting together. At least they were complaining together.

What people need to realize(and it was a worry I had) is Clintwood didnt have a good OL last season and Haysi graduated 3 of their OL. Last night they asked the interior linemen to block the Central DTs man up and imo they are better on the move; need to include more pulls/down blocks and less man blocking. They also are trying to only play linemen one way. I know in 2A ball you gotta keep the big guys fresh but I can think of 2 OL who need to be in the DT rotation. Additionally they need to tailor the passing game to the QBs strengths; more crossing patterns, more shotgun or pistol.

I think some peoples expectations (including mine unfortunately) got a little too high. Like I said earlier in the year the point of this season is to be competitive 

Just my thoughts.

I dont think thats the issue, Artrip(the target of most of the deep passes) is a very good and very capable receiver. To me the issue is Mullins calling deep passes. Reynolds doesent have the arm for that, he was put in a position where he has a very low chance of success. I had hoped for a Haysi style passing game but last night we got the traditional Clintwood passing game(more or less), send them deep and throw it up

Should have stated it like this.... Wolfpack had a pitiful passing night. Balls were falling way short of intended receivers. When you can't make a few long pass plays , you struggle. And Artrip looked limpy..not 100%.. Using the tight end more may be helpful in the future. 

I can't blame the QB, if he doesn't have the arm then he doesn't have the arm. Stop asking him to throw deep. Play to his strengths and avoid his weaknesses

I agree 100% it did not look like we were playing to our strengths.

Overall I thought our D played well outside of 2 plays but give the Central QB credit he is the real deal and Central will go far so long as he stays healthy

Offense looked off there is no other way to put it. The passing game looked bad the Running game did not look that much better. I will say that Turner was one guy away several times from breaking a big run but to Centrals credit that did not happen.

As for fans saying that Clintwood or Haysi on its own would have beaten Central is silly Central  is a much improved team from last season and will be a tough game for anyone.

As for RV they need to pick themselves up and get better over the next few weeks

Agreed.

Theres what you would like to do and then theres what you can do. The coaches need to focus on what the kids can do. If the backside G cant get there on G Counter then they need to run more Lead. If the frontside G cant handle the DT 1 on 1 for Lead to be successful then they need to run G Lead(pull the playside G to kick the DE, T and TE down block). I think with a couple of blocking scheme adjustments the running game would be much improved. Like you said, Turner was 1 player away, 1 shoestring tackle away many times.

I was a little suprised to see the Rv DBs play off coverage. I didnt think Centrals WRs were that impressive, solid players but I didnt think they had the speed to garner off coverage