New TSSAA regions for 2017-2021

SXSW

The TSSAA has released the regional assignments for the 2017-2021 cycle. I listed regions 1 & 2 if you need any other let me know and I will postem.

Region 1 A: Cloudland, Greenback, Hancock Co. , Unaka

Region 2 A: Coalfield, Harriman, Jellico, Midway, Oakdale, Oliver Springs, Sunbright

Region 1 2A: Cosby, Hampton, Happy Valley, South Greene, Sullivan North

Region 2 2A: Cumberland Gap, Meigs Co., Oneida, Rockwood, Wartburg.

Region 1 3A: Chucky-Doak, Claiborne Co., Johnson Co., North Greene, Unicoi Co., West Greene

Region 2 3A: Alcoa, Austin-East, Gatlinburg-Pittman, Kingston, Northview Academy, Pigeon Forge, Scott Co.

Region 1 4A: Elizabethton, Grianger Co.,Greenevillie, Sullivan Central, Sullivan East, Sullivan South, Union Co.

Region 2 4A: Anderson Co., Chattanooga Central, East Hamilton, East Ridge, Hixson, Sequoyah, Chattanooga Howard.

Region 1 5A: Cherokee, Cocke Co., Daniel Boone, David Crockett, Morristown East, Tennessee High, Volunteer.

Region 2 5A: Carter, Gibbs, Knox Central, Knox Halls, Sevier County, Seymour, South Doyle.  In 5A Regions 3&4 are all filled by Knoxville area schools. 

There a total of 19 5A schools in the Knoxville area.

Region 1 6A: Bearden, Dobyns Bennett, Farragut, Hardin Valley, Jefferson County, Morristown West, Science Hill.

Region 2 6A: Bradley Central, Cleveland, Heritage, Maryvillie, McMinn Central, Ooltewah, William Blount.

The TSSAA has for the 2017-2021 cycle removed all the private schools who provide aid and or scholarships to Division 2, and divided those among three classes

A-AAA. So beginning next season there will be nine state champions.

Also, if and when the new high school in Sullivan County is built for Sullivan North, Sullivan South an part of Sullivan Central is will classified as Region 1 6A. It is

planned to house 1700 students.

You know, I know this I doesn't have a lot to do with your thread, but for whatever reason I remember years ago at app state football camp playing "Greer" in 7 on 7 (because we played Daniel Boone and Greer played Boone also) at App State football camp and remembering Greer vs Avery Cointy in 7 on 7 (just helmet) knocking the crap out of each other while Scott Elliot (South Carolina interim head coach 2015) (App State assistant then) agging it on hahaha

When our son played they played Union County and lead 28-0 before they took an offensive snap, that is a historically bad football program.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them petition to drop football. Union County has already sent in their notice that they won't field a team next year.

Had bookmarked this earlier and was going to post on the other thread re: Unaka, but didn't.  Apparently, the TSSAA had the forfeiture rule in place for several years to ward off such action as occurred at Unaka... Union is also mentioned in the article,

Chris Thomas , Knoxville News Sentinel 7:40 p.m. EDT November 1, 2016

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/11/01/unaka-forfeits-football-playoff-game-against-greenback/93129200/

Just saw this ...Union Co. apparently decided to abandon plan to withdraw...

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/11/16/union-county-abandoning-plans-withdraw-football-playoff-series/93981176/

I thought that is kind of odd that Maryville was put in Region 2 with all the Chattanooga area schools. I think the only by product will be whoever wind Region 1 will think they have done something until the second of third round of the playoffs when they get eliminated by Maryville every year.

The TSSAA has for the 2017-2021 cycle removed all the private schools who provide aid and or scholarships to Division 2, and divided those among three classes

A-AAA. So beginning next season there will be nine state champions.

This is, without a doubt, the best thing the TSSAA has done in years, getting the private school juggernauts out of the public school competition

Greenback and Jellico won their appeals and can switch regions, Jellico is now in Region 1 A, and Greenback is now Region 2 A. Gatlinburg-Pittman and Pigeon Forge lost their appeal to move from Region 2 to Region 1, they wanted nothing to do with Alcoa in Region 2, and Kingston wanted out of Region 2 for Region 3, and they lost their appeal, too. Unaka has their appeal announced today on whether they will be allowed to compete in basketball post season for football indiscretions. 

• 7 months later...