Culture Change

Grapeape

I was reading the times news (A garbage publication) article that unnecessarily slanders Barry Jones and thinking about how times have changed. First I should admit to @jarhead24219 that he was right and I was wrong in a previous discussion about 'cussing coaches'. I was ticked and trying to make GC's coach look as bad as possible. There was no need for that; he's doing that with no input from me.

In re: to changing cultures around high school football, here's a story:

The first time I ever saw a topless female in person was on GC's game field. The situation occurred when a stripper was hired to give Bill Quillen a lap dance on his birthday. A young lady in a Playboy bunny costume gave Mr. Quillen a lap dance as he sat in a circle of GC's  high school and middle school players \ coaches during a Tuesday afternoon practice. At the end of the routine she briefly exposed her breasts and motorboated Mr. Quillen. It was indescribably awesome.

Imagine if that happened in 2017! 

12 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

I was reading the times news (A garbage publication) article that unnecessarily slanders Barry Jones and thinking about how times have changed. First I should admit to @jarhead24219 that he was right and I was wrong in a previous discussion about 'cussing coaches'. I was ticked and trying to make GC's coach look as bad as possible. There was no need for that; he's doing that with no input from me.

In re: to changing cultures around high school football, here's a story:

The first time I ever saw a topless female in person was on GC's game field. The situation occurred when a stripper was hired to give Bill Quillen a lap dance on his birthday. A young lady in a Playboy bunny costume gave Mr. Quillen a lap dance as he sat in a circle of GC's  high school and middle school players \ coaches during a Tuesday afternoon practice. At the end of the routine she briefly exposed her breasts and motorboated Mr. Quillen. It was indescribably awesome.

Imagine if that happened in 2017! 

The KTN didn't say anything negative about Jones, they just reported what the board members said. I think it's dumb to fire a coach for swearing, jeez Louise thats ridiculous. I'd be mad if my team was 0-5 and the coach didn't go on big swearing tirades.

31 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

The KTN didn't say anything negative about Jones, they just reported what the board members said. I think it's dumb to fire a coach for swearing, jeez Louise thats ridiculous. I'd be mad if my team was 0-5 and the coach didn't go on big swearing tirades.

I felt like the reporting was fairly biased. For example, calling the kid that transferred a star player and then insinuating that  VHS's lack of success was because he left. None of that info was sourced or verified. 

18 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

I felt like the reporting was fairly biased. For example, calling the kid that transferred a star player and then insinuating that  VHS's lack of success was because he left. None of that info was sourced or verified. 

Yeah that's what one of the board members said. He called the kid one of their best players. 

As I read that article, it may be my personal bias, but it seemed to me that they were throwing Coach Jones under the bus. I've known that man for over 30 years, and I know the quality of person he is. Another thing I know is that he gives 110% and if you play for him and aren't giving the same, he will let you know about it to your face. If the parents and players at Volunteer can't handle that, they deserve the mediocricy (at best) they have always been known for...and they definately don't deserve a coach of his caliber with his drive. A football team is run by the coach, not a bunch of pansy-ass players and their pissed off parents.

19 minutes ago, who? said:

What does that say about our current school board member? 

When the folks causing the problems are 1. In their late 60's or 2. weighing about 500lbs, Father Time will eventually trump your connections. 

17 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

As I read that article, it may be my personal bias, but it seemed to me that they were throwing Coach Jones under the bus. I've known that man for over 30 years, and I know the quality of person he is. Another thing I know is that he gives 110% and if you play for him and aren't giving the same, he will let you know about it to your face. If the parents and players at Volunteer can't handle that, they deserve the mediocricy (at best) they have always been known for...and they definately don't deserve a coach of his caliber with his drive. A football team is run by the coach, not a bunch of pansy-ass players and their pissed off parents.

Again I believe it was the board doing the tossing under the bus, not the KTN. They have to report when a coach gets fired mid-season, and I thought the paper didn't take a stance either way. I hear the Volunteer people didn't like him and wanted him gone for some asinine reason. He's a great coach. 

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Again I believe it was the board doing the tossing under the bus, not the KTN. They have to report when a coach gets fired mid-season, and I thought the paper didn't take a stance either way. I hear the Volunteer people didn't like him and wanted him gone for some asinine reason. He's a great coach. 

Still, the paper has no obligation to air the he said, she said, or any of the dirty laundry coming from one side. Nowhere in there did I see any response from him or any indication he was asked by the paper for a response. To me, that type of reporting is throwing someone under the bus. KTN sucks anyway, so I've come to expect very little from them anyway.

I have a few connections at Volunteer, and by all accounts it's the worst high school in the region. From the classrooms to the athletic venues, the inmates are running the asylum. They can reap what they've sewn. I wish Mike Castle would have walked in solidarity, but I'm sure he needs the paycheck. 

Volunteer has always been a train wreck. It's a tough gig with it having a very rural student population and not many really good athletes and you're trying to compete with some of the teams that they have that have much better feeder systems and grass roots programs. Even when they have some decent athletes, schools like DB and Cherokee are on the prowl for them. I used to work with a lady who had a son that was a decent player, and she said he was approached several times as a freshman and sophomore from DB coaches about transferring. 

As for Barry Jones, I've known him for quite some time and had dozens of interactions with him over the years and have worked with several of his friends fom high school. . He was one of my daughter's teachers at PV Primary, and she adored him. I talked to him at the Sullivan East - Fulton playoff game last year, and he was very upbeat about his program, and was basically the same Barry Jones that I've always known. I suppose people can change, but IMO much of what is being said is coming from a bunch of overreacting, meddling parents. 

Ask Phil Robbins how many state championships PV won, he will say 8, he will tell you he won 7 of those while he was head coach, I will tell you as good as Phil was, he Never won State without Barry Jones......enough said. As a deceased ESPN anchor used to say "COME ON MAN" it's football man ,and I am sure that those kids heard a lot worse on any movie they go to or watch

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

Ask Phil Robbins how many state championships PV won, he will say 8, he will tell you he won 7 of those while he was head coach, I will tell you as good as Phil was, he Never won State without Barry Jones......enough said. As a deceased ESPN anchor used to say "COME ON MAN" it's football man ,and I am sure that those kids heard a lot worse on any movie they go to or watch

A-Cris Carter isn't dead

And I hate when people act as if Jones was solely responsible for PVs run in the late 80s-90s. It's not like PV had a juggernaut offense with two future NFL players and tons of All-State guys right? It was 100% defense, PV couldn't do anything on offense, it was all Barry Jones' defense. :/

56 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

A-Cris Carter isn't dead

And I hate when people act as if Jones was solely responsible for PVs run in the late 80s-90s. It's not like PV had a juggernaut offense with two future NFL players and tons of All-State guys right? It was 100% defense, PV couldn't do anything on offense, it was all Barry Jones' defense. :/

That's not exactly how I take it. Once Barry arrived, PV was 7-0 in title games, and 0-1 once he left. Truth is, he maintained an intensity and focus on Defense that was not matched from the time he left until PV closed...and it was projected on and through the guys that played for him. There is no doubt in my mind that had he still been the DC in 2004, PV would have gone 9-0 in title games instead of 8-1. Under him, players were always put in a position to make plays and win games. Wasn't always the case once he was gone.