Bluefield vs. Point Pleasant

EH31

No one really knows for sure but the most credible story is that they had an early game where they were covered in mud and the name big blacks was used and it stuck. I know it is hard to believe but in the early 20's most schools did not have mascots. By the end of the 20's they all did. Often it was related to the uniform colors that they were wearing when a sportswriter would comment on the Green Wave or Blue Tornado. In West Virginia Hinton / Summers County is the Bobcats because they had a coach in the mid 20's that went to WV Wesleyan and got the college to donate orange and black uniforms donated with Bobcats written on them. 

3 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

No one really knows for sure but the most credible story is that they had an early game where they were covered in mud and the name big blacks was used and it stuck. I know it is hard to believe but in the early 20's most schools did not have mascots. By the end of the 20's they all did. Often it was related to the uniform colors that they were wearing when a sportswriter would comment on the Green Wave or Blue Tornado. In West Virginia Hinton / Summers County is the Bobcats because they had a coach in the mid 20's that went to WV Wesleyan and got the college to donate orange and black uniforms donated with Bobcats written on them. 

I was hoping there was an explanation but somehow I figured there wouldn't be one lol 

6 hours ago, EH31 said:

@Bluefield researcher do you (or anyone) know why Point Pleasant is called "The Big Blacks"?

Is there any coincidence in Parkersburg being the "Big Reds" and a school that is one of WV's oldest and even starting before Point Pleasant, and only 55 miles from each other?  One is the Big Reds and one is the Big Blacks.  I just wonder if the naming of the mascots which probably occurred in a same-similar time-frame and the schools not being terribly far apart has some relation.  The nicknames are identical other than the color named.  For example, why the word "Big" in both nicknames.  The word Big is not terribly common I wouldn't think, yet it's interesting how 2 schools within 55 miles of each other both have the word "Big" in their nickname followed by a random color and not only that, the colors are plural as in..."reds and blacks" not red and black.  There has to be a link there I would imagine.

I thought there would be more talk on this game. Point pleasant played the defending WV AA champions Mingo Central at the beginning of the year and only lost by 2 points and Bluefield appeared to be extremely superior by the looks of the scoreboard. I don’t know if point pleasant has any critical injuries, but based on the numbers it looks like this could be another state title contender for bluefield if they stay healthy.

15 hours ago, Suit Up said:

I thought there would be more talk on this game. Point pleasant played the defending WV AA champions Mingo Central at the beginning of the year and only lost by 2 points and Bluefield appeared to be extremely superior by the looks of the scoreboard. I don’t know if point pleasant has any critical injuries, but based on the numbers it looks like this could be another state title contender for bluefield if they stay healthy.

Mingo Central fans are quick to tell you they had several kids injured when they played PP...don't know if that's true but that is their excuse...

3 minutes ago, GMan said:

Mingo Central fans are quick to tell you they had several kids injured when they played PP...don't know if that's true but that is their excuse...

Here is what one of them says about MC playing PP (from WV Taigate Central message board)...

Now tom. Mingo played point at point with 8 or 9 new def starters. They lost their RB WR and 2 lineman. Their middle lb was a little rusty from a crash and he played OL.  It was a growing moment. They seem to have developed a little depth with the FR and SO. They rested 2 DL and moved a new OL in tonight. Building for the long haul.going to be a fun ride.

It was a great win for Bluefield no doubt. They seem to be getting better each week and at the right time. If they can keep healthy and focused for these next three games they'll be in prime position to make a championship run. The line play has been better than I've seen in the last several years. Cooper is doing a pretty good job of managing the games.

2 hours ago, bhs7695 said:

It was a great win for Bluefield no doubt. They seem to be getting better each week and at the right time. If they can keep healthy and focused for these next three games they'll be in prime position to make a championship run. The line play has been better than I've seen in the last several years. Cooper is doing a pretty good job of managing the games.

Cooper has also been throwing some really nice passes the past couple of games.