Richlands vs. Tazewell

Fighton3

Richlands has a ton of guys to replace. I really don't know a whole lot about what they'll have next year. I think the line will be ok because it's always a strength, and there are a few starters like Gayheart coming back... but we'll just have to wait and see.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

1-9..1-9.. Pulaski (21-7) in 2002... Richlands (12-10) *Upset of the year* in 2003.. to 8-5 this year..

[/ QUOTE ]

2001 3-7 beat George wythe/ Carroll county/ and V-high

2002 3-7 beat Pulaski/ Carroll county/ and v-high

2003 1-9 beat Richlands

Thats T-Towns record since 2001

We are in the same boat, I think everyone is except Graham, and even they might be in the same shape. We have 2 linemen, Garon Marcum and Theo, and our recieving corps back, but we have to find a fullback and 3 other linemen. I think if we find 3 linemen, we should be fine on offense... On defense..we have to replace our entire line, minus big Charlie, Looney and Marcum, and those two combined are a bulk of the tackles, not counting them getting the first wrap up and then others assisting, and Jon Brown will also be tough to replace, but somebody always steps up...I am just worried after this year though, you have Andy and Bronson and Josh Dickey with experience..and probably Kaleb Smith and that is it...no super tough middle school team this year, and we constantly have people quitting football to prepare for wrestling, some of the tougher players do..it's hard to tell what will happen from 2006 on.

yeah yall are going to have some big shoes to fill next year. There are no real big line man left at grundy, since matt lee, me, and albert childress have graduated. andy is decent and mark vandyke is decent, and charlie was decent, but other than that you have no real off. or def. lineman for the next few years to come. frown.gif

There are a couple of good linemen on the way...Charlie will be healthy next year and thats a good start, they should be able to run around him...the thing that scares me is Theo...he's gonna be running for his life if the line is not there...and the backup is Smith or Tigh...and Tigh is a good size kid but doesn't have the experience (snaps) to be a "great" QB...and Smith can't take a beating any better than Theo can...so...unless some linemen show up...could be a weird year for the wave.

Richlands will bring back a talented team that learned and grew through our 2004 romp. you dont replace this graduating class, but our players that are returning did learn and our younger players are in the weight room "Building Character"

Cotton, Charlie should be about your size, hopefully we can get him pretty strong. It amazes me though, the only ones consistently in the wieght room are Garon and myself, the kids that the coaches preach and nag at to be in the weight room aren't. I learned my lesson of what being lazy in the offseason will do this past year. The kids just seem to have no work ethic. They would rather go and build a robot or play video games. But if you give Coach Owens a couple weeks, he will build you a good line, you know that from experience Cotton.

Bigger, Bulkier Linemen are better in some cases, but if you are trying to seal a running play off, and say you have Aaron Marcum at LB, you want a quick Guard or Center that can use his speed and technique to cover him up. In Grundy's scheme, it is somewhat better to have smaller, quicker guards, and bigger tackles. No matter what though, the most important thing is laying the wood and crawling up into somebody, and also getting good angles.

THere is no reason why those kids can't put 20-30 pounds of muscle on over the off season...I watched Aaron do it last season and Garon is doing it right now....you just have to want it and those kids don't want it...victory doesn't come cheap or by accident...it's not there to be had, it's there for the taking...you have to take it...they don't have it in them...sad.

The robotics team is what screws us over a lot. They are always having meetings after school and stuff, and after that, the kids go home. 5 to 10 kids that could be in the weightroom, go home, or come to lift later on, and you know that if you haven't got somebody in there pushing you, you aren't going to work as hard. We have got kids with a lot of size on the sidelines, they just don't try hard enough for some reason...

Sounds like theres a lack of coaches being there to me. I think at least one coach should be there if not 2. With the field house and the weightroom you guys got there should be at least 20 kids in there after school.

We do have great facilities, great great facilities, probably one the best places to lift within a large radius. But on the coaches behalf, they do everything in their ability to get the kids to lift except lift the weights for them. Half of the time the kids tell the coaches, yeah I will lift this evening, then they call some kind of special meeting, and they end up going to it...We lift 4 days a week, for an hour and half, and most kids don't want to take that long to not only make theirselves a better player, but to look better also..lol..its a win win situation grin.gif How many kids do the tornadoes usally have in the weightroom?

How's the Equipment at the highschool there blue_56 I heard mike compton refurbished everything or something like that. I remember when I was there Some of the equipment was getting pretty old and ragged and some of it didn't work anymore like the butterflymachine. I always loved trackmeets @grundy,Id get done throwing and I'd go lift in the field house for about an hour lol.