richlands athletic director

blues88

I say bring back Jack Lyons and Robbie Rhoades or even Tom Chafins I think they were the last set of coaches to take a Richlands BB team to state. Can anyone tell me the last time a Richlands team Basketball Boys or girls has gone to the state?, and who the coach was? As for AD I say bring back Ole GB he can geter dun.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I say bring back Jack Lyons and Robbie Rhoades or even Tom Chafins I think they were the last set of coaches to take a Richlands BB team to state. Can anyone tell me the last time a Richlands team Basketball Boys or girls has gone to the state?, and who the coach was? As for AD I say bring back Ole GB he can geter dun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if your post was entirely tongue-in-cheek, but I think it merits a response.

From a historical perspective, Richlands frankly doesn't have much of a basketball tradition besides the impressive run that began in the 1980's and a couple of flashes of brilliance under Mark Dunham back in the 1960's.

No Richlands boys team has ever made it to the state tournament (at least in its post-1970 format). For that matter, I don't think Richlands has ever won a regional playoff game in hoops. Came close against George Wythe in 1985 when Reggie Blevins was coaching. But close doesn't count.

RHS did play E.C. Glass many, many years ago (back in the 1940's or perhaps even earlier) in a playoff game which the Blues also lost. Don't know exactly how they qualified for that playoff or how it was sanctioned, though.

I know of only one appearance in the state tournament by the girls, which was in 1986 at Salem. They acquitted themselves very well, beating William Byrd in the quarterfinals before losing a close game to Spotswood in the semifinal. The coach of that team was.....drum roll, please.....Tom Rife.

Of the folks you specifically mentioned, my personal opinion is that Lyons was a great coach and Chaffins was very good. However, neither of them ever won a district title as head coach. And Robbie Rodes has the distinction of being the only coach in RHS history to go winless in a season, whereupon he subsequently burned all of the school's basketball records.

In all seriousness, GB for AD isn't a bad thought at all. Assuming that Rife won't be filling the role, that is.