Rt. 460 Closed

wavefan64

Anyone who is planning on traveling to Grundy from Richlands, Rt. 460 will be closed from the Shortt's Gap Area to Garden Creek. So if you are planning on traveling to Grundy, it will be best to go through Honaker and across Drill Mt. I think this route will be closed until Friday, possibly Saturday..

From the VDOT website...

*** High Profile *** ------------

Section of Route 460, adjacent secondary routes in Buchanan County closed due to mine fire (Wed., February 16, 2005 - as of 2:30 p.m.)

Due to efforts to contain a mine fire at CONSOL Energy’s Buchanan Mine, the following routes have been closed in Buchanan County:

- Route 460, from Route 618 to Route 727. All truck traffic must detour using Routes 83 and 80. Cars must detour by utilizing Routes 624 in Buchanan County and 637 in Russell County.

- Route 680, from Route 629 to Route 736 (from the top of Young Mountain to Honaker Branch)

- Route 626, from Route 460 to Route 632

- Route 632.

The closures are expected to be in place up to 72 hours.

These closures are necessary for the safety of the traveling public. Due to the proximity of these routes to mine ventilation systems, it is necessary to shut down the routes.

Motorists are advised to plan alternate routes. Pay close attention to signs and workers directing traffic around the area.

Not really, maybe 20-30 minutes longer, if you dont mind driving on secondary roads. The best way would be to go to Richlands, at the Raven red light, take a left, take the sign that goes towards Honaker, through Swords Creek. Stay on this road until it ends, you can either go right or left, and it will have a gas station beside of the road. Turn right, and stay on this road about a half or 3/4 of a mile. You should come to a 4 way intersection, and you can keep going straight to the town of Honaker, but you are going to want to take a right, and get on the road back to Drill Mountain. You will stay on this road, and you should be able to make decent speed, just watch out for the steep curves. You will cross over into Buchanan County when you start down the other side. Once you get to the bottom of the mountain, stay straight until you come out of Garden Creek, should be about 10 miles..You will come out at Oakwood, but I am not sure if 460 is closed around this part or not, if it is, I will post another alternate route...lol

The mine extends from Page hollow in Garden to Whitewood, up to around Shortt's Gap. It is a ten minute ride in a car underground from the new shaft at Contrary. That mine is huge, that is all there is to it. Oh yeah, it is about 1500 ft. underground.

Vent holes won't help it, at least not to my knowledge. The only thing that they can really do right now is seal it on top of the surface(which they have) and let it burn itself out. And bigblue, 460 wouldn't cave in, just the mountains around it..lol..460 just crosses Buch. 1 twice or something.

you know though how long thats gonna take Coal burns for a bit anyways.It would be something it it did collapse especially on them 2 parts of 460,gees I would have to drive way around just to make it to Hurley to see my gf.

[ QUOTE ]

there drilling holes to put some foam crap in there or something, or so i heard. and the college bus ride was exactly 20 minutes longer than usual. it made for a good long nap on the way home. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea thats wat it was they are gonna put foam in it, my dad delivers diesel to the drillin rigs and they told him that it was likely there could be a explosion maybee nothing huge or maybee sumthing big. But if all goes planned they expect to get it under control b4 next week.