Virginia Basketball Referees

FatBoy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stewart Robertson, Justin Porterfield, L.B. Wood - I also liked the two referees we had at Grundy Thursday night and the two we had at Abingdon last night - although they were certainly better in the second half than in the first.

I did not see any bad refe's this year. Some of the good crews are The crew out of Richlands. But where is that one guy, someone told me he moved out of town and is working the I 81 schools, those schools are lucky to have him. Good job to all ref's you do great job.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

did not see any bad refe's this year

[/ QUOTE ]

You obvisouly must not have been at the Bluefield-Logan game...terrible calls the whole nite..

[/ QUOTE ]

they are talking about Virginia Refs

Hey OFISHBB; the ref you are thinking of is Sanders Henderson; he married a honey down Bristol and is reffing ball there. I think he works mostly with Tyrone Foster and Steve Honaker at the I-81 schools.

I totally agree.. Terribly Biased calls at critical times... Whats the saying.. let the players decide the outcome... Well, that isn't the way I've seen it a few times this year.. Mostly when Twin Springs was playing Twin Valley.. But, give credit to Twin Springs they have some major players.

Oh, does anyone know the ref, his first name is Terry, he is bald and has a fu man chu...? He might be from up around bluefield.. i really dont know.. When I've seen him call.. he allows no contact in the guard positions!! It makes for a rough night when nothing is called inside and every bump out front is whistled!! But, anyway.. these guys looked very professional in their appearance, composure and mechanics.. It just seemed like they had to get into the game at critical times!! lol.. Also, its very noticeable when one official has whistled one team 4 straight times! That seems like he's really enforcing his area, while everyone else is letting them play! All I know is it just dont look good! Even if the fouls might be there!

Whats someone else idea about this topic?

[ QUOTE ]

they are talking about Virginia Refs

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sure some VA. refs get to see some bluefield games, especially since we play Graham that is in VA.....

Plus bluefield wv is the bordering city to bluefield va, i mean were not talking about va refs watching a beckley game...

Fat Back, Here is a list of all time greats in the AOA. These are not in any order. Greever Crouse, Bill Jocko Lee VHSL HOF, Free bird Bill Whitt, John Altizer, George Brown, Donnie Belcher,Jeff Hurst,Allen one eye Slagle,Gary Peaches Arnold. Fat back Maybe you could add to the list or others can also. Use nick names if you know them. grin.gif

jeff hurst? get a clue. he is no where near the ref that saunders henderson or barry yost is. maybe a tony nenni type. he has always had the chance of working with altizer and brown. do not forget the famous bud "elmer fudd" galimore.

[ QUOTE ]

jeff hurst? get a clue. he is no where near the ref that saunders henderson or barry yost is. maybe a tony nenni type. he has always had the chance of working with altizer and brown. do not forget the famous bud "elmer fudd" galimore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not sell Hurst short. I think olewave nailed it. He is perfect as a stand-in Tony Nenni.

I agree Richlands Alum, Hurst has worked numerous State Tourneys and plenty of middle school, high school, and college level bball. His philosophy of "let 'em play" makes the game a lot more fun.

[ QUOTE ]

I agree Richlands Alum, Hurst has worked numerous State Tourneys and plenty of middle school, high school, and college level bball. His philosophy of "let 'em play" makes the game a lot more fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

And his level of personal hygiene is beyond reproach.

I hear that Bud Gallimore taught him everything he knows. Including how to count to three.

What! College games? That must have some good old frat games or maybe he called alot of the Flying Eagles SVCC Games is that the college games he called? Please give me some more names of the AOA refs.

[ QUOTE ]

Are we forgetting to include the infamous Charlie Warner on our list? Or the incoherent Carmon Bennett?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we expand this discussion to football, then yes it would be a travesty to exclude Charlie Warner. And you'd have to throw in liberal mentions of Yogi Price and Buzz Warner, for that matter.

Let's not be talking "jonk" about Bennett. 'Cause if you do, he's "gonna bust ya."

I would like to know what college games Young Hurst Called frat games at JMU or Flying Eagles Games at SVCC. And as for as ranking young Hurst I would put him up there with Bill Bunch Shane Scott and time out Tommy Ownes. What will young Hurst do when he can not ride Altizer's coat tails?

[ QUOTE ]

I would like to know what college games Young Hurst Called frat games at JMU or Flying Eagles Games at SVCC. And as for as ranking young Hurst I would put him up there with Bill Bunch Shane Scott and time out Tommy Ownes. What will young Hurst do when he can not ride Altizer's coat tails?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, those frat games are important. My unbeaten record as coach of my own fraternity squad still nets me free beverages at certain fine establishments in and around Blacksburg.

As for the last statement, I thought that Wurst was really the power behind the throne, and that Altizer was really riding HIS coat tails. Those mortician types have powers beyond those of normal humans, you know. I'll bet Hurst is channeling Greever Crouse as we speak.

[ QUOTE ]

Are we forgetting to include the infamous Charlie Warner on our list? Or the incoherent Carmon Bennett?

[/ QUOTE ]I think Charlie was a great one in football. he got along with all FB coaches in SWVA. But if you could ask him he would tell you his favorite place to call would be Hurlety HS. for one of VA best coaches TOMMY GOOSE BLANKENSHIP! Just ask him

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think Charlie was a great one in football. he got along with all FB coaches in SWVA. But if you could ask him he would tell you his favorite place to call would be Hurlety HS. for one of VA best coaches TOMMY GOOSE BLANKENSHIP! Just ask him

[/ QUOTE ]

Grundy was actually the site of a couple of his more memorable experiences. But yes, he enjoyed Hurley about as much as a reasonable human should.

And I'm sure Goose is satisfied that he eventually straightened him out.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I would like to know what college games Young Hurst Called frat games at JMU or Flying Eagles Games at SVCC. And as for as ranking young Hurst I would put him up there with Bill Bunch Shane Scott and time out Tommy Ownes. What will young Hurst do when he can not ride Altizer's I would like coat tails?

[/ QUOTE ]I would like Fat Back opnion on this quote and by the way FB do you have any details on the honey that guy married who now lives in Bristol? tongue.gif

Hey, those frat games are important. My unbeaten record as coach of my own fraternity squad still nets me free beverages at certain fine establishments in and around Blacksburg.

As for the last statement, I thought that Wurst was really the power behind the throne, and that Altizer was really riding HIS coat tails. Those mortician types have powers beyond those of normal humans, you know. I'll bet Hurst is channeling Greever Crouse as we speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey CatfishBB I can't help you much about where the girl that Sanders Henderson married is from. I went a few rounds in the Rough and Rowdy Brawl up in Welch this weekend and Sabders had his 'ol lady up there and let me assure you, she is every bit the bomb. The gal is classy for sure; my guess is that she is from Ohio or somewhere where men are men and women are women.

[ QUOTE ]

Come on out there get some more names of BB or fb officials you think that or good bad or ugly. How about this blast from the past Richard Shrimp Buchanan shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan "the Man" Matthews. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad. No comment on his looks.

Jerry Hagy. One of the good guys. Also one of the best groomed.

Craig Barbrow. Without him, the whole of Smyth County would fold up and die.

As for the gridiron....

Sam Cassidy. Excellent official, plays a mean guitar, and looks good in a Red Coat.

Louis Callahan. Kept his refereee out of trouble on many a night. And quite possibly the best looking individual in the history of Caretta, WV.

Yogi Price. Excellent official and responsible for every GOP election victory since Nixon.

Mark Dunham. Beautiful human being all around.