Big East or ACC - who is better

beaverbaseball

Who will score first?  

1. 1. Who will score first?

Who is better, the Big East or the ACC?

That has been a question bantered about among college basketball fans the past quarter century.

Both conferences have had enormous success in the last 25 years and whether you choose the Big East or the ACC, you can stand firm in your arguments.

The Big East is the only conference ever to have three teams in the Final Four. Georgetown, St. John's and Villanova all trekked to Lexington for the big dance in 1985.

Over the past 25 years, when the Big East was formed, the ACC has had six different teams go to the Final Four and 25 appearances. The Big East has had seven different teams make it to the finals and have had a 12 appearances.

In terms of championships the last four years the conferences are dead-even, 2-2.

The ACC won in 2001 and 2002 with Duke and Maryland and the Big East in 2003 and 2004 with Syracuse and Connecticut.

Overall in the 25 year period the ACC holds a 7-5 edge. Duke(3), North Carolina (2), Maryland and North Carolina State have won for the ACC while Connecticut (2) Geogetown, Villanova and Syracuse have been crowned champions from the Big East.

With expansion underway in both conferences the balance may tip in favor of the Big East next season. With the addition of Louisville (national champions in 1980 and '86, DePaul (Final Four in 1979), Cincinnati (Final Four in 1992) and Marquette (Final Four in 2003 and 1977 national champion), the Big East looks to be the power conference.

ACC expansion schools Boston College, Virginia Tech and Miami have never made the Final Four, only Boston College ever going past the Sweet 16.

It's a debate that will go on as long as there is college basketball.

As for me I think the latest round of expansion favors each conference. The Big East emerges as the stronger basketball conference while the ACC comes out the winner in football...a reverse, I believe from how things looked say three years ago.

Let the debate begin.

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/02/27/sports/03reddzone.txt

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

That looks an awful lot like the article by Bob Redd in today's BDT. If in-fact it is the same article then you need to attach a by-line and a link to the article.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because that is where I got it from

Do u think I could come up with something like that LOL

If the ACC were to face the Big east...like say the standings..#1 from Big easy face #1 from ACC and go all the way to the bottom of the stadings...The ACC would go undefeated. No doubt in my mind about that.

If the ACC keeps getting all these teams from different confrence's. I think it would be cool to set it up into 2 seperet sections, like the SEC does, they have an east and west section. And i think the ACC should do that also so the 2 top teams in each divison would play each other for the ACC championship...

In football?..USC will go undefeated and will make it to the National Champ. game but thats all i can say for now cause there might just be a better team next year than them...and im hopin that the team comes from the ACC and wins the ACC the 2nd year in a row grin.gif

lol, well the fact that USC's b-ball team is awful, i figured you could make that assumption yourself lol, jk but yeah i feel you on that, i mean i personally would like to see my team, to be in that position, but well all know South Carolina wont be that good for awhile, i wouldnt mind it at all if Tech game and knocked USC off their undefeated pedestal grin.gif

Yea wasnt it Nebraksa and Tennessee in the big game back in 98 or 99 sumthin like that, and also Texas will be a great team next year..Vince Young was "compared" to Michael Vick for his legs during the Texas/Michigan game down at the Rose bowl.