This is what happens when you elect a democrat...

Newly elected WV Gov. Manchin vowed to help five boarder counties: Mercer, Cabell, Ohio, Monongalia and Berkeley deal with competition from areas across each respective state-line. So he unveiled his idea earlier this week to help the economy of those counties. What was his plan you ask? Impose a 2% occupation tax on the residents of those counties, which means the people working in those counties would have even more money taken out of their respective paycheck.

Now how in the heck does taking more money out of the people's pocket help the economy? While the price of living continues to go up people will now have less money in their pockets to live on? How the heck does that help the economy? What it'll do is send even more people across the border into other states to shop and buy items of need b/c everything is cheaper there to begin with. I've seen a lot of boneheaded ideas from politicians, but this one just might take the cake. Another brilliant democratic idea...

smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I can't see any logic in that at all. Didn't Mercer residents try to become a Virginia county back in the eighties because of high taxes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've wanted Bluefield to become apart of Virginia again for sometime now for a number of reasons. Plus, can you imagine the athletic powerhouse that would be created if you combined Beaver and Graham? grin.gif

While I'll agree that the tax is definitely unfair, it shouldn't be singled down to a Democrat/Republican issue. All politicians make bonehead moves at one point or another, no matter what party affiliation. You might counter that this is a poor irrelevant analogy, but is a 2% occupation tax in Southern West Virginia on Gov.Manchin's watch as bad as over 1,500 of our soldiers killed in Iraq on Dubya's watch?

I'm not trying to ignite a political flame war here, just trying to be realistic here. You put your faith in man and he'll let you down every time.

I don't see how it will be possible to impose a tax only on residents of certain counties. I think if that becomes law, there will be plenty of suits filed and it would likely be overturned.

I'm glad I don't live on the WV side...you all have nothing but idiots running things from the local level all the way up to the state level! The Bluefield City Board is an absolute joke in my opinion...

Agreed, G-Man Blfd city board of directors are and have always been boneheads. I don't understand why the city of Bluefield can't give tax incentives/breaks to attract potential businesses. I know the B & O taxes that WV has drive business prospects away.

Did anyone see where they are trying to make talking on the cell phone and driving at the same time a CRIME in West Virginia! I think the idea is good for safety but sometimes you need to make that phone call even if you are driving. I wouldn't really like to see this happen

[ QUOTE ]

It's already illegal if you're under 18 in Virginia.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that but thats surprising. People prolly never thought they would have to be a certain age to talk on a cell phone while driving lol

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that but thats surprising. People prolly never thought they would have to be a certain age to talk on a cell phone while driving lol

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because younger people have more crashes as it is, without cell phones.. and where older people have more experiance driving. I suppose thats why

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it will be possible to impose a tax only on residents of certain counties. I think if that becomes law, there will be plenty of suits filed and it would likely be overturned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without knowing exactly how enabling legislation for taxation works in WV, I tend to agree. This kind of thing would only fly as part of a referendum measure in VA.

On the bright side, this idea of taxing people who are actually working makes our General Assembly's discussion of baggy pants seem a little less embarrassing by a degree or two.

• 4 weeks later...

"but is a 2% occupation tax in Southern West Virginia on Gov.Manchin's watch as bad as over 1,500 of our soldiers killed in Iraq on Dubya's watch?"

While soldiers dying is unfortunate, it's also a necessary cost of freedom and national security. freedom isn't free.