Beaver vs. Graham 05'

bluefieldRocks

As the "big game" gets closer, the smack talk has been heating up. And for the past couple of weeks i've been hearing more and more chitter chatter, smack talking. Near fights and everything in between about this years upcoming beaver-graham game. Most of it happened at the BHS-GHS baseball game this past week. Graham fans saying there going to crush us. and bluefield fans saying were going to kill them. But one thing i found out about this heated rivialry is that it was aired on espn's high school football games. Does anybody know if this is true?. But anyways bluefield losing big time players such as All-state QB rusty coeburn, all state kicker Lucas Stone, and all state WR Mike D just to name a few I'm really not sure about who's graham's lost except for there starting QB matthews since last season. And im really not sure what there weaknesses are either, nor our weaknesses. But to set the record straight i think it looks to be a very heated game after the butt whoopin we put on the g-men last season. I think Coach Carlock and the G-men will be looking for some revenge in August. But does anybody that truly knows both bluefield's and graham's football team know who you think will win? I mean im hoping its the beavers. But im not really sure and to be honest kinda nervous to start off our season on a sour note, especially to graham.

Yall's thoughts on Beaver/Graham 05' Reguardless of if you go to bluefield or graham or not......How do yall thik this game will turn out?

]HSMH-bluefieldbeavers.jpg VS. HSMH-gmen.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bluefield-Graham game was featured on ESPN on scholastic sports america in 1991 my junior year. ESPN came down thanks to buster large and was planning on doing a piece on the two towns and two states and the rivalry, but when they toured mitchell stadium they couldn't believe the facility and decided to stay and cover the whole game. They were glad they did because the game was a classic bluefield graham barnburner, and we beat graham 6-4, with a touchdown pass at the end of the game to win it. I have the segment they did on tape. It was about 5 minutes long. It was an awesome segment.

[ QUOTE ]

and we beat graham 6-4, with a touchdown pass at the end of the game to win it

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW....I cant believe that the game had that much of a low scoring affair....Thank goodness we beat them though. BTW: Who was the QB during that bluefield era?

Bluefield PT i was out of the country when this story aired and ive heard alot about it but never have been able to see it, even from ESPN's archives but id be interested to know what it would take for me to obtain a copy of that tape???? thanks

hey Tom, i've got a copy of it all the espn footage... pretty much the entire game. even the out takes. i can get you a copy.

and who is PT? this is Shane E - #83 from that season... and i'd like to get a copy of the actual piece that was on. i don't have the edited version with coach yelling at me about my broke nose and them doing the interviews with everyone.

The quarterback during that game was Michael Lane. He quarterbacked that game but broke his finger and had to go out for a while. They put Ronald Betts in, who hadn't played ball since elementary, but had a cannon, and he threw the touchdown bomb to.... who else... Michael Lane, who had gone back in as receiver with a broken finger.

hey, what's up? i figured that's who PT was... just had to think who was a Jr that year and then was like - oh yeah, Charley's job is PT. everything's going pretty good this way. we just put the house up for sale, so we'll see where that leads. yeah, that'd be cool if i could get a copy of the segment. do you have the copy that i've got? it's pretty much the entire game from the espn perspective. the 1st half is from our sideline, and the 2nd is from theirs. it's pretty cool.

about a 45 to 50 yard bomb. grahams only points came on 2 safeties, it was 4-0 the whole game till the end. Then when we scored, we went nuts and couldn't get 11 men on the field for the extra point, so it ended up bein 6-4.

hey shane, PT, id sure enjoy havin both perspectives of that game, ig gladly reimburse any expenses and time as needed and it would bemuch appreciated..let me know fellas

i'll make a couple copies... i should be in the Bluefield area within a couple weeks and i'll bring 'em with me. i wouldn't try to make money off this, just cover the cost of the tape - like $2 or $3 i'd imagine. Tom, i'd just need your address and would mail it to you. my email is rselli@vt.edu

I agree this years Graham Beaver game will be an exciting one. I can't wait!! I feel that both teams will be ready and pumped up for the game but even though both teams have great coaches I think that Graham will win a hard fought battle only because Beaver lost so much talent and Graham only lost about 6 or 7 starters. But its hard to tell right now, we will see in August.

i'd like to have both of yall's copy's.....I mean to see different points in the game seeing somebody recorded more than the other right? , really dont matter. I'll take em' both..

But i do agree bluefield has lost alot of talent. But i just feel deep down inside that we are going to pull it off reguardless if we lost every single one of our starting players! I'm that confident...

You should have. He lit your secondary up last year. Two TD passes, and a third called back on a penalty I believe. Quarterback will not be a problem for Graham this year. The other QB gave the beavers probably 14 points himself last year. We would have been better off if he was wearing a blue jersey.

Those games back in the early 90's were classic games. All of them. 91' (6-4) 92' (20-14 in OT) 93' (24-14) in which Graham won on a TD pass from Gray to Gregory with 8 seconds left in the game then Gregory ran an initerception back with no time on the clock. In 94' beaver won 7-0 and in 95' the G-Men won 26-20 coming from behind 20-0. The only other games that have been any good were 02' and 03'.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

He lit your secondary up last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he lit up the the JV secondary, not the first team because they were on the sidelines watching...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but that JV secondary he lit up last year will be Bluefield's STARTING secondary this year...