jay sims # 17

buzzsawBeaver

That's just it Br, his attitude after he was paralyzed was no different than before, just as thankful for the things he had and positive about everything. An inspiration for attitudes.

To me the measure of how strong someone is isn't how strong they are on their best day, but how strong they are or how they react on their worst days and at their lowest,.. or when their back 's up against the wall.......

"What happened?"

He was shot in a randon drive by shooting at the city park a few weeks after graduating and was paralyzed from the shoulders down.

And craig passed away in '91 in a vehicle accident. He was around 20 or early 20s maybe, really nice guy, bluefield graduate and his mother taught at bluefield for years, spanish if I recall.... I doubt she still teaches but not certain.

[ QUOTE ]

What happened?"

He was shot in a randon drive by shooting at the city park a few weeks after graduating and was paralyzed from the shoulders down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh...im sorry to hear that

im 16 though, its not like i knew any of this. And neither of my parents graguated from bluefield. My mom from Welch high and my father from Montcalm

Jay was a dear friend and an awesome teammate. It's just hard to describe, you would had to have known Jay to see how special of a person he was. Thanks Buzz

the Craig, you refer to was Craig Armbrister, he was a friend of mine and graduated with me, my senior yr we spent alot of time together and he was killed while returning from WVU one night on I77 at camp creek hill..im not gonna go into the circumstances or the driver of the vehicle but Craig was an outstsnding person that liked to get a lil on the wild side when he drank..i distinctly remember tying him to a toilet at Myrtle Beach to keep him from balcony diving..lol..i was sad to hear the news when he died

[ QUOTE ]

the Craig, you refer to was Craig Armbrister, he was a friend of mine and graduated with me, my senior yr we spent alot of time together and he was killed while returning from WVU one night on I77 at camp creek hill..im not gonna go into the circumstances or the driver of the vehicle but Craig was an outstsnding person that liked to get a lil on the wild side when he drank..i distinctly remember tying him to a toilet at Myrtle Beach to keep him from balcony diving..lol..i was sad to hear the news when he died

[/ QUOTE ]

I became good friends with Craig at Bluefield College...he was a great person to be around. I know what you mean about him getting "a lil on the wild side" too...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

following his terrible accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened?

My brother was a policeman back then, and the shooting was because Jay was black.According to my brother the a**hole also pulled a gun on Cortez Martin earlier.Jay was a amazing person! He used to come up and watch us practice when I played at Bluefield and he lived one street back from where I lived growing up.He was always smiling and very positive even after being paralyzed. It was truly a tragedy when he passed. Rip Jay

We also have a walk-a-thon every year some somebody named craig armbrister?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, the shooting was because he was wearing shorts. him and bunch of people were hanging out at the city park - like we've always done. the guy who shot him was sick in the damn head and thought that if you wore shorts, you were gay. so his twisted mind thought he'd take it upon himself to rid the world of some gays and shot blindly into the crowd... it hit Jay in the spine.

i didn't know Jay very well... pretty much only because of football and because he'd come hang out at the communtiy center. but God works in mysterious ways. and it's hard to give thanks in what God did there, but if it weren't for the accident, Jay wouldn't have become "Jay Sims" and he wouldn't have been such an inspiration for so many, and he wouldn't have had the impact on SO MANY young people in the Bluefield area. if i could have, i would have gave him my legs... if only for a day. and i'm sure there are enough in Bluefield that feel the same way... that he would have been able to walk forever. he was a great player, but a greater man and christian!!!

[ QUOTE ]

the guy who shot him was sick in the damn head and thought that if you wore shorts, you were gay. so his twisted mind thought he'd take it upon himself to rid the world of some gays and shot blindly into the crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope that guy gets what he deserves...

actually, i don't remember what happened to him? i remember him going to jail, but i don't know what really happened. seems like it came out that he was a mental case. and usually, insanity, is a catch to try and get off... so who knows what happened. i'm sure some on this board know.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

the guy who shot him was sick in the damn head and thought that if you wore shorts, you were gay. so his twisted mind thought he'd take it upon himself to rid the world of some gays and shot blindly into the crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope that guy gets what he deserves...

[/ QUOTE ] As far as I know he died years later of cancer of something while in a mental health facility.

• 1 month later...

I was a honorary pallbearer in Jay's funeral and consider him one of the greatest people I have ever known. I was good friends/classmates/neighbors with his sister and our parents have known each other for years. Jay was a tremendous influence in my life and I miss him almost daily.

For younger Beavers and G-Men, I wish you could have known or just been around Jay. His smile alone could light up an entire room. I worked at the GBCC in High School, this was where you could find Jay almost every evening talking with youngsters and friends. In fact, he never met someone that wasn't a friend.

One of my fondest memories of Jay took place one snowy night he winter before he passed. Many nights I would walk him home, up East River and down Albemare from the Comunity Center. Often, I would come in and visit with his Jay, his mom, and sister. On that walk I had to help me I helped him up the short incline of East River due to the snow. He told me while I caught my breathe, "Thank you. You know, God did this for a reason. Kind of like how we get to share this time together."

I know that Jay is running around up there. God, he was a good man.