CITY OF RAVEN'S HEADHUNT IS OVER....RIFE IS OUT

OFISHE8

According to this week's Richlands News Press, Tom Rife will not be returning as the RHS Boys Basketball Head Coach next season. This will mark the end of an era in RHS Boys BBall history. Coach Rife has had his share of sucess and failure throughout his tenure; however, his lack of enthusiasm and dedication seem to have sealed his fate as the "Mustachio Bench Boss." Where does RHS BBall go next?? I am sure this position will generate a ton of intrest from several local coaches as well as coaches within the current RHS Staff. Anybody have any predicitons?? Maybe City of Raven could coach...he does have a high school education now!!!

With the promotion of the legendary 'mustachioed bench boss' to the hardwoods of the halls of the G-Men, I'm afraid old Fizzledoutby8 is right. There will never be another coach that will take the blueballers to the heights that they enjoyed during Rife's tenure. It would only be fitting that proper homage is paid to the 'Master of the Clinch' and the basketball program be terminated immeadiately. There will never be another coach that will come close to duplicating the basketball accomplishments from 1980 to 2005. Twenty five years of great players (like Scotty and Ricky Michaels, JT and Vince Neal Moore, Greg and Jeff Hearse, Jono and Timmy Brown, and Jerry J and Bart Warner) and great coaching can not be replaced overnight. Rife even trained many coaches (including Petey Ball, Doug Addison, Tom Lucas, Jim McGee, Jody Fuller, & Reuben Pritcart to name a few). At the very least, they should name the gym after him

- Roy Williams of UNC

When asked about the Richlands job, Williams was enthusiastic: "Sure, winning the NCAA title was nice. But a chance at actually winning a Region IV playoff game? Wow, that's really exciting."

- former Milligan Coach Ron Reed

When pressed for comment Coach Reed said, "Tuck in that shirt! What's wrong with you? If you look like a slob, and you act like a slob, then you can only be one thing...."

- Former RHS hoopster Robert R. Hagy, II, esquire

Legal training would come in handy during disputes with officials. For example: "Not only did the opposing player travel with the ball, but by doing so, he deliberately and maliciously violated the civil rights of our entire athletic department."

A couple of dark horses have also emerged....

- Beloved youth coach Paris Parker

Parker's availability is somewhat questionable. Since the Michael Jackson verdict, he is seeking to reopen his own legal cases with a change of venue to Southern California.

- Former RHS coach Robbie Rodes

When questioned about a dozen years ago, Rodes said that he would be interested in coming back to RHS and returning the program to the level of prominence that it enjoyed under his watch in the early 1970s. Unfortunately, no one has seen or heard from Rodes since the last business meeting of the Heaven's Gate cult back in the 1990s.

- Dennis Vaught

Because you can't bring up any coaching vacancy at Richlands without mentioning Dennis. It's the law. Besides, the cagers would look really cool in those elevator boot things like KISS used to wear, which Vaught might be convinced to purchase for them.

Of course, instead of conducting an expensive and time-intensive search, the RHS administration might just use the Buchanan County approach -- flipping through the phone book and calling every "Rife" listing until they find a taker for the job. Current buzz centers on Cletus Rife of Pea Patch.

Stay tuned.....

i say we ask jim stilwell to come in and be a private consultant,(he did pull a coal truck out of a ditch with his moped, so he says) he knows everybody in tazewell and buchanan co. so he surly knows somebody for the job, how bout rick goodman im sure we can get him more money than the neighbors are paying him and he does have a good track record, or the last resort, standing outside the meth clinc up wardell and asking random people if they want a job, shocked.gif, dont be shocked they couldnt be worst, i mean hell we did just go 2-18 last season.

Raven, Don't worry! Rumor floating around the King Kone this evening was that OFISHE8 was seen at the carnival last night talking to a very influential power broker about either:

a) the bathrooms at the Carnival; advertised as the world's cleanest and most dependable extravaganza,

b) The delicious Polish sausage and cotton candy on the world's most famous midway,

c) How much cleaner the ponies were then the Rocoplane workers,

or

d) The next basketball coach at RHS!

Richlands Aluminum must have eaten some lead-based paint off his crib as a baby and suffered some permanent brain damage. From the eclectic files of RHS Whos Who, he throws both interesting and encarcerated names into the mix of basketball coach contention. Big Jim looks as if has swallowed the basketball so forget him. Forget Roy Williams but don't ever count out Jerry "Shark' Tarkanian. Hagy defends and Gay Paree' is in. There are more Rifes than cockroaches in Buchanan County.

My conversation was with current RHS Football Coach Greg Mance. My suggestion is that we compensate him to the nth degree and let him coach football, boys bball, and boys baseball. That way we can at least make a regional tournament in each sport seeing how Mance is the only boys coach able to figure out how to win!!! Hey Alum, Did we forget to mention former RMS 7th Grade coach Tom Goforth. He had an outstanding record!!

id like to see mance with baseball, but hes too busy with "spring football" or boys track as the other schools call it. and for the basketball i think ann mance should coach it. she was a b-ball start in the late 70's and it would sell more tickets to see her coach wink.gif

Someone mentioned Rueden Pritcart should be the new coach. I think that ends the dispute right there. If he can keep his narcolypsy under control while watching a golf match, then surely he can be depended upon at a basketball game!

What will happen to the Rife's Raiders???

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Rife's Raiders will be laid to rest with the Rife legacy and their place in History will be duly noted and promptly disbanded. Their resurrection will be determined by the basketball successor! Will it be 'Mance's Militia'? 'Fuller's Brushes'? 'Ann Mance's Maniacs'? 'Rueben's Sandwiches'? 'Lucas's Locos'? 'McGee's Wantabees'? 'Adam's Ants'? 'Stillwell's Cigars'?

[ QUOTE ]

Richlands Aluminum must have eaten some lead-based paint off his crib as a baby and suffered some permanent brain damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's 100% incorrect. Fact is that I'm eating paint chips from a ziploc bag every time I post here. You can harvest all you want from the grounds around the Free Press building in downtown Richlands. Just happened to be in town last week, so I was able to stock up for a while.

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Alum, Did we forget to mention former RMS 7th Grade coach Tom Goforth. He had an outstanding record!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thought, but I have it on good authority that "Peaches" Goforth is hard-wired into the power grid at Stuarts Draft. He's like Mayor or Grand Poobah or something....

Barry Yost (13-1 with a county championship back in '83-'84) would be a solid choice. Although the knock on him was that he couldn't beat Bramwell.

I still say that Tommy Owens is still the obvious choice for the job.

Mrs. Beth Goforth is certainly peachy but I doubt she will be interested in coaching basketball at RHS. Barry Sanders retired from the NFL and Terrill Owens is still in the NFL. I can't imagine that either of these two 'Hall of Famers' will consider coaching basketball in Southwest Virginia unless they have some family connections in the greater Richlands/Red Ash/Jewell Ridge triad area.