Coeburn has big night, but South falls 9-7...

Bluefield_Rules

Nitro's QB (Williams) tossed four INTs tonight and the South fell in a defensive battle. According to the Beckley news though Rusty Coeburn had a huge night at linebacker recording five sacks including three on WVU-bound Nate Sowers.

BTW: Big props to WVVA for showing ZERO highlights of the game and reporting nothing on the game. Instead it was a show filled with NASCAR B.S.

congratulations to Coeburn and all the South players, no-one really gave the South much of a chance at winning since the North squad had a Weir player but they played tough and should be proud... and whats up w/ throwin 4 INT's?? confused.gif

The funny thing is Tom in regards to the QB situation. The news showed Coeburn playing QB on one series and said he was leading a South drive. Well the South coaches pulled Rusty from QB inside the 25-yardline and on the very next play the Williams kid floats a pass toward the endzone that was picked off.

ive been to several of the N/S all star games in the past and over the yrs they had several differnt kids with a decent amount of playin time at different positions and im just wonderin how ONE player had the opportunity to throw 4 INT's?? and if a qb is drivin the team down the field, then why pull him?? should be his SERIES to finish

BTW: Big props to WVVA for showing ZERO highlights of the game and reporting nothing on the game. Instead it was a show filled with NASCAR B.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should've been watching us on WOAY-TV 4 (if you can get us that is!!) We had highlights from the first three quarters including a handful of beautiful plays from Rusty...

I don't know whether or not Coeburn took himself out from QB'ing or not but Williams replaced him mid-series, two plays after he threw for a 15 yard reception...Either way, he made one defensive coordinator at Wesleyan very happy I'm sure.

On a personal note, I know it's tough getting you folks in Bluefield to watch our station (WOAY), but over the past two weeks we've been to the North-South Basketball, Football, Softball, Baseball games along with the WV/OH Basketball Border battles, and even to the Beavers opening Summer practice (something VVA nearly neglected to mention, much less show up at)...If you guys give us a chance some nights, we won't let you down.

Here are some comments on Coeburn from a Parkersburg fan that attended the game tonight.

[ QUOTE ]

Rusty Coeburn - Ok, so this kid is basically an animal. Plays full force, at a very serious full speed ahead. Swagger, anger, and attitude. Little over agressive at times, tends to over pursue, but far and away the best player on the South side of the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You should've been watching us on WOAY-TV 4 (if you can get us that is!!) We had highlights from the first three quarters including a handful of beautiful plays from Rusty...

[/ QUOTE ]

I did and I appreciate the nice highlights you guys had of the game.

[ QUOTE ]

On a personal note, I know it's tough getting you folks in Bluefield to watch our station (WOAY)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this Bluefield resident. I usually watch the sports portion of both stations, especially during the high school football and basketball season. And yes, WOAY has done a much better job of covering Bluefield High sports over the past school year than WVVA has. The people at WVVA should be ashamed of themselves for that.

WOAY does a better job at covering local sports in general than WVVA. WVVA does too much national sports coverage and if I wanted national coverage I'd watch ESPN. And the NASCAR coverage by WVVA is a little overbearing...

I admit I am one that watches wvva out of habit, but will now watch your sports coverage due to youir local enthusiasm. One question though, WOAY 4 in this area does not have the best reception on Comcast cable. The pic. is full of sparkles and snow. We are told by Comcast this is a problem on your end with a transmitter that was struck by lightning a year ago, and parts are ordered. Is there anyway you can let me know if this is true, or another load of crap from Comcast. Thank you!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the crappy reception was our tower's fault and not Comcast's, but I could be wrong...We don't exactly have the greatest of equipment up in Oak Hill.

By the way, we didn't have the time to show it in our highlights last night, but Danny Wells actually RAN the ball in last night's game, on a delayed lineman handoff on a third down and long and nearly got the first down. I don't think I've ever seen him handle the ball before.

[ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean. Somewhere there should be a television station with its main priority showing local sports and local youth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there is.....you just watch the wrong station. WOAY in Oak Hill had excellent coverage of the game. Jarod does a great job there. He had several shots of Rusty and Daniel on the segment. Rusty did light up Nate a couple of times. Guess Harmon wishes now he had taken another Beaver namely Lucas Stone, a 9-7 loss would have been a 10-9 victory at the very least since they were inside the 25 several times. Oh well, a three time All State kicker did not make the roster....great job of coaching there huh?

I think Coeburn is a really good player w/ a lot of potential. However, I know of many people that were either in attendance watching/playing in that game and I heard that he didn't "dominate" the game as many of you said. Coeburn is lucky Coop didn't play. He could have been seeing flashbacks of getting run over. I watched the tape last night again b/c I finally got my copy back and I couldn't believe what I saw. I found a huge block where Crow who is 155 lbs. just laid Rusty out while helping Coop spring a big run. I honestly am glad Coop didn't play though. The way they are talking, he has a good chance of starting this year or at least getting a lot of playing time. It was smart to play it safe and not risk injury.

I'm certain coeburn is still able to play college football today because weir's cooper did not play in the north south game.

I was on the sideline, cooper, bowled over a much smaller bluefield player on an interception return, not coeburn. They did clash and cooper had the better of it, as he should have, considering he was running and had momentum and coeburn was going sideways. But even then it looked like helmet to helmet which seemed to simply daze coeburn.

I'm more than certain on another play he could just as easily have had the better of any player weir had.

You have to be kidding me. I'm not talking about an interception return. Coop ran over Coeburn and put him out of the game for a while. Also, I just watched the tape as I already said and Crow laid him out on a block. Coeburn would NEVER run over Coop and I doubt he'd run over Josh Smith(#33) either. He might get the better end of a hit w/ some Weir players simply b/c of his size. Cooper is playing at a Big East school and has already set freshman records in the weight room and Coeburn is playing at D2 Wesleyan. There is nothing wrong w/ that, but there isn't really a comparison when you talk talent.

I don't think it's possible for RedRider to aknowledge the accomplishment of a Bluefield player(s) without attempting to undermine the merit in someway by either A) make the point that the person isn't going D1 or B) mentioning that a Weir player got the best of them at some point in their life.

Give it a rest already.

We've heard all of the stories of Cooper the Great. In fact, someone was just telling me the other day that he hasn't been in Morgantown very long and he's already healing lepers, parting the Monongahela River, and working other miracles when he isn't doing drills or working out in the weightroom. By the way, I hear he's quite the hit on the Morgantown party scene since he can turn water to wine.