I wonder...

bigorange_66

sure we could compete with the right coaching staff,just look at the players va has produced over the years.Just off the top of my head without any research,micheal vick,thomas jones and his brother,marcus vick,ronald curry,ahmad bradshaw,heath miller,mike compton,rhonde barber,tiki barber and the list is a long one.But sure we could compete and do well.By the way anyone see heath miller last night?He is going to help my steelers have another great year.And was impressed when joe theisman said he was a very smart football player.

I hate to be the first to disagree, and anybody who follows recruiting will tell you this: Virginia's "best" would not stand up to the "best" in California or Texas or Florida (ie, the big three recruiting states).

Now, the Tidewater region itself is among the top 5 hottest recruiting bed in all of college football, but as far as state-wide is concerned, Virginia is possibly in the lower portion of the top 10, maybe outside it looking in.

Although I think with Tech's program having rose out of nothing in the 90's to where it is today, along with Virginia being better than average to very good some seasons since the latter part of the 80's can only help.

Just my .02, though. Feel free to maul me if you like. grin.gif

Could we compete shocked.gif! Of course we could, and probably show them some football fashion they have never seen. Heck, Coal Miners sons, Farm boys, Hillbilly rednecks, (and last but not least, bone crunching hits by the LPD standouts), we would givem a whoopen that would makem remember Ole Virgina for a loooong time! wink.gif WHY?>>>cause we know football at it's best!

THIS IS ONLY AN OPINION, NO WORDS WERE CHANGED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT!

i used to live in Texas...and let me tell you...they take their football WAY more seriously then we do here in VA....there is no doubt in my mind that we wouldnt run with them....5A schools all the way to A schools....the single A could beat us probably...they could have 5 all star teams...one for each level....we would be destroyed...and thats Texas alone...

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah iverson was awesome but liked b-ball better.

[/ QUOTE ]actually he liked football better, but when he was in high school he got in a fight at a bowling alley and went to jail so no big time football colleges wanted him anymore.. so he went to georgetown to play basketball

It dont matter how many AAAA's or how big the Texas schools are, only 11 team players are allowed on the field at one time. Id still say we'd kick their ARS! And, by the way, we take football pretty dang serious here in Virginia. Why? 1. Its our #1 highschool sport 2. Not a damn thing better to do in the season. 3. Well, that is a secret among us ARS kickin VA players! smirk.gif

Physically, players are only players everywhere, there's nothing special in the water in some states that makes their players tougher or stronger or faster, it's most commonly a matter of population and the numbers they have to draw that talent from.

There are areas that produce more speed overall, but this is also a sort of reflection on population, particularly of minorities.

But as anyone knows physical talent is not all that matters, work ethic and fundamentals make a big difference as well.

And that said, watching the texas game on espn in '04, through the 1st quarter I thought physically, a state state such as va. might be equal, but throughout the game the fundamentals the teams displayed were unreal for high school. Obviously a characteristic that's deep rooted in tx football from an early age on. A big difference maker in my opinion.

Draw conclusions for yourself.

Of course, Virginia's top talent could compete with top talent from Texas, California, or anywhere else. And the majority of Virginia's top talent lies in the Tidewater area. Per capita, Virginia (thanks to the Tidewater) probably produces close to as many D1 athletes as Texas or California.

have you ever been to a Texas football game??? look at the talent they have had...Adrian Peterson went to a Texas HS....Priest Holmes...and others....they are mad good....Virginia has sent Heath Miller....

[ QUOTE ]

Virginia has sent Heath Miller....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's seriously laughable if you believe the state of Virginia has only sent Heath Miller to the NFL, seriously laughable. Miller isn't close to being the best Virginia player in the NFL. I believe it starts with Michael Vick, Aaron Brooks, Ronde and Tiki Barber, Lee Suggs, Ron Curry, Thomas and Julius Jones, etc. The list goes on, both past and present...