PC vs Richlands info.....

cougardave

Just thought I'd put this up for you guys since I put it up over on VaPreps too. I didnt have a list of names for Richlands, but I got numbers as much as I could when someone scored.

First the facts of who scored and how:

JV action:

-PC had 5 touchdowns and a safety, Richlands had no scores.

-PC moved the ball well, both grinding it out with 3-5 yard plays and a few long ones that they broke loose.

-At first it looked like Richlands would be able to pass at will, but that was quickly stopped. I couldnt tell if they changed quarterbacks or if the PC defense brought about the change, but it ended.

-Richlands wasnt able to get across the mid-field point.

-both teams had some good looking kids, should have some good talent over the next few years.

Varsity:

-Richlands scored first, on a long run (around 70 yards) by #7. made xp

-PC scored after driving down the field, Crouse rushing, missed xp

-Richlands scored again, #7 rushing, missed xp

-PC was driving down the field and fumbled with 1:58 left in half

-Either near end of 1st half or at start of second half, PC snaps ball over punters head on punt attempt. Punter (#15) chases ball, see's defender, kicks the ball out of the endzone. 2 points for Richlands.

-PC first team unsuccessful moving ball, 2nd team comes in after 1st series of second half.

-PC second team running back (#6) scores TD on 45 yard run against Richlands 1st team defense. missed xp

-Richlands scores TD when #24 blocks punt near goal line and falls on it in the end zone. missed xp

-Richlands scores TD on long run in final moments of game. I didnt get this runners number.

Overall impressions:

Richlands was OBVIOUSLY a week and a scrimmage ahead of Pulaski County tonight. Pulaski made those first scrimmage mistakes that any team is going to make, most likely the same ones that Richlands made last week when they scrimmaged Christiansburg. Richlands was able to open up the Pulaski run defense with a very good quarterback who was able to scramble and throw the ball on the run when he needed too. The Richlands recievers made several nice catches, and the running backs showed good speed and ability to cut through traffic. Richlands had pretty good size across both fronts. The only negatives I saw for Richlands was that they looked a little more winded than i expected at the end of the first half. PC was beginning to move the ball on them, and were it not for one of those first scrimmage mistakes (qb fumbled the ball on the snap, Richlands recovered) then the score at the half would have been in PC's favor.

Pulaski showed about what you would expect of a team in its first scrimmage. The first team played the first half and the first series of the second half. After that they were on the bench. Crouse was able to move the ball, but not for as many yards as expected. PC did see a good performance from #6 (I gave my list of names to Cougarfan to update the site, sorry) from the tailback spot when lined up as a tailback. Both quarterbacks did well, but sophomore #10 with the second team completed a couple of passes, nothing long or anything, just 2 or 3 short passes. Twine's first pass would have went for a nice long gain, but Turpin couldnt get his hands all the way on it. He did have about two steps on his man though. I think Pulaski still obviously has some work to do, but in all they dont have anything to hold their heads down about.

In another post, someone ask if this was PC's first week of practice. The answer is no, but it is their first scrimmage of the season. I would look for them to improve alot of the next two weeks before they get into their first regular season game against Patrick Henry. I think both teams got a good night of work out of it though, might be a good one to keep going......

Good luck to you guys this season, unless of course we were to meet again.....

I didnt realize they had dropped to D3. I couldnt help but giggle though when I read the story on the main page about the game. "Richlands Blue Tornado took everything Pulaski County could dish out Friday night"????? PC didnt play any of its first string kids after the first series of the second half. When talking about Crouse, they wrote " Crouse carried the ball 18 times for 97 yards in the first half. He carried once for two yards after halftime." Not too bad a first half if you ask me. He actually ended up with 107 yards for the night. Like I said before, thats mostly how Crouse gets his yardage....bang, bang, bang, bang, and all of a sudden POW.....he breaks one for 60 yards. Backs who are built like that and can dish out some punishment are fun to watch. The back Richlands used was alot like that too. i think this would be a great series to keep going though. Two tough teams who play hard like that can only help each other get better.

[ QUOTE ]

I couldnt help but giggle though when I read the story on the main page about the game. "Richlands Blue Tornado took everything Pulaski County could dish out Friday night"?????

[/ QUOTE ]

We've got some seriously clueless sports writer at the BDT right now Dave, and Tom Bone is the most clueless of them all. I still don't know how that guy got a job writing about sports. The BDT was certainly hard-up for sports writers when they hired him.

[ QUOTE ]

I didnt realize they had dropped to D3. I couldnt help but giggle though when I read the story on the main page about the game. "Richlands Blue Tornado took everything Pulaski County could dish out Friday night"????? PC didnt play any of its first string kids after the first series of the second half. When talking about Crouse, they wrote " Crouse carried the ball 18 times for 97 yards in the first half. He carried once for two yards after halftime." Not too bad a first half if you ask me. He actually ended up with 107 yards for the night. Like I said before, thats mostly how Crouse gets his yardage....bang, bang, bang, bang, and all of a sudden POW.....he breaks one for 60 yards. Backs who are built like that and can dish out some punishment are fun to watch. The back Richlands used was alot like that too. i think this would be a great series to keep going though. Two tough teams who play hard like that can only help each other get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

1st team For Richlands came out after the 2nd series in the 2nd half so it was the same thing basically but yea i agree with ya it would be a good series to keep goin....i think it will help both teams..BIG.

[ QUOTE ]

"Richlands Blue Tornado took everything Pulaski County could dish out Friday night"?????

[/ QUOTE ]

How bout' we change it to "Richlands Blue Tornado took everything Pulaski County dished out Friday night!"

Richlands took the starters out at the same point PC did. Whether or not either team could have dished out more is irrelevant.

I think I prefer "Richlands was obviously more prepared and more practiced Friday night than the Cougars were, but then thats to be expected since this was there second scrimmage and Pulaski's first."

As for when the first team or second team came out, I wouldnt stress that too much. You guys seemed to have pretty good talent all the way through your lineup, but for either team to keep their starters in for much more than they did would have been somewhat pointless. At this point making them run four quarters worth of plays is crazy, because they are still learning. Wearing them out wont teach them much, and I wouldnt think getting a starter hurt would help much either.

What did your running back (#7 I believe) do last year? Is he a senior or what? Seemed like he had some pretty good wheels on him.

Caleb Jennings. He isn't very big but he's fast and is surprisingly strong. He was a backup to Cain Ringstaff at tb last year and was one of the best return men in the state.

I was pleased with the way the young guys played after the starters came out. Richlands' strength last year was their ability to play a lot of kids throughout the game. It looks like that can continue this year.

caleb did ok that game... just with that one yard run but they didnt really give him a lot of carries... i really dont even remember richlands going undercenter the whole time thier 1st team was in even when they was on the 1 yard line they went shot gun 3 recievers... which i dont think is that smart..but thier not gonna count on jenningss a whole lot this year i dont think

They ran the "I" a little but I think the plan was to work on the spread. Including goal line situations.

They'll count on Jennings plenty. One thing I think we'll see with him that we didn't see too much last night is catching passes.

My heart bleeds,blue,silver and white.

When I am outraged there is a storm in sight.

I will always do my best to put up a good fight.

Because there is a storm in sight and I am a Tornado ready to go into flight.