Richlands 35 Gate City 0

BigD4VT

Great win for Richlands. Awesome way to start the season. Caleb Jennings left early in the first with an injury but Brandon Smith did a great job in his place.

Justin McCracken looked poised and made some good throws. He also showed that big tall QB's can tote the rock. The passing game isn't quite there yet but it's getting closer.

Special teams played great. Fajardo made all his extra points and actually made me (almost) start to like that

"squib" on kickoffs. Smith had long punt return and took it in. Arms had a good night punting. He avoided a disaster by scrambling to get the kickoff when it would have otherwise been blocked.

Great win! Can't wait until Honaker.

[ QUOTE ]

Fajardo made sll his extra points and actually made me (almost) start to like that "squib" on kickoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Ladies and gentlemen, you have just witnesses a first to BigD, i have been to so many games where he gets mad at the squibb. HE HATES THE SQUIBB! Its history lol jk grin.gif </font>

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Fajardo made sll his extra points and actually made me (almost) start to like that "squib" on kickoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Ladies and gentlemen, you have just witnesses a first to BigD, i have been to so many games where he gets mad at the squibb. HE HATES THE SQUIBB! Its history lol jk grin.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I still hate the squib smirk.gif

Dont take nuttin from GC they were pretty tough...we just shut them down defensively i think they had like 79 yard total (not sure). They did let up a lil once we got up by 21...but that happens u cant win a state title and dominate every single year.

Congrats to Richlands! they were the better team tonight! i am not sure they were 35-0 better, but GC made the mistakes that you can't make against a good team. Penalties, fumbles and an int were big and Richlands definately took advantage of the mistakes the Devils made. The Goal line stand by GC in the first was really big and then a holding penalty hurt when GC had a little momentum, but Richlands D was really quick and wouldn't allow much. GC really needs to work on the offense and they are extremely young, at one time in the first half i counted one freshman and 5 sophomores on the defense.

A lot of GC folks were upset by a couple of calls, but believe me when i say it was not a factor in the outcome. I was a little disappointed in the response from the Richlands crowd on the roughing the punter call. He hit the punter just above the ankle (plant foot) i had a good view (check it out on film)and knocked him down. All in all GC better call in the gurus and get to work before next Friday. I was pleased with the effort, i just think the better team won. Good luck to Richlands the rest of the way.

p.s. i hope caleb is okay...saw that right in front of me too. where do you guys always find these guys 5'7" 150lb lightening quick guys? seems like you always have a couple.

[ QUOTE ]

I was a little disappointed in the response from the Richlands crowd on the roughing the punter call. He hit the punter just above the ankle (plant foot) i had a good view (check it out on film)and knocked him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no doubt about it. I said to myself, why are people booing when they saw it happen right in front of them? Penalties like that are going to happen when you go for the block. Split second sooner and he would've had it.

[ QUOTE ]

if richlands had stayed in the spread offense on their 1st drive it would have been 42 - 0.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the best move on that 4th & 1 would be a FG. Once they decided to go for it I think a QB sneak would have been best. Why would you want to bring the ball 3 yards off the line to hand it off when you only need to gain less than a yard?

Gate City obviously isn't the team they were at this point last year. They made a lot of mistakes and they were without one of their running backs, but at the same time Richlands was without their #1 running back and the passing game still isn't where you want it to be. The story of the game was the Richlands defense.

i was really impressed with richlands on both sides of the ball.....and i don't think the offense is even playing close to their potential......i have been really worried about the secondary but last night those guys were flying to the ball......i can tell we've got alot of speed back there and with experience those guys will get even better......simmons appears to be a hitter......the defensive line play impressed me.....reynolds, harrison, arms, payne and taylor all left some bruises...........and the fuller kid left the biggest one of the night...

Congratulations to RHS! It was an impressive display of dominance. I was very impressed by your defense. They didn't allow a seam the whole night to run in and they didn't allow the Price time or a lane to throw in either. Offensively, I thought McCracken did a fine job running your offensive which is very deceptive. He's a fine runner and has a fine touch on his passes. I hope Jennings is well and back soon but I thought his replacements showed capable speed and quickness. Overall, it was a tremendous effort and it kinda reminds me of the 2003 Devils. Best of luck in the SWD and beyond.

It is good to see everthing doesn't revolve around Jennings. Doc told me he should be ready for the Grundy game. I thought Smith , McCracken and Addison made some good runs. McCracken made some good passes and Stanton bailed him out on a couple of bad throws. The defense looked good and came up big , when they need to. I believe this team could be really special, if they will take one game at time and not look ahead.