Bluefield graham opinions

buzzsawBeaver

congrats to graham on a victory and an emotional game for coach carlock.

Keys players of the game, in my opinion bluefield's qb, jt powell, out late in the 2nd quarter with a knee injury, possibly out for the season but maybe in 3 - 4 weeks. Big difference in the secondary and more so at qb on o. Although bluefield's backup qb did well, it seemed bluefield scheme for the game was certainly not to play without powell.

The other key player, graham's rb henry.

Key plays, the play where powell was injured in the 2nd, and a bluefield turnover, their only turnover that I recall, with about 6 minutes remaining.

Overall I thought bluefield did well in some areas considering their inexperience, although they had quite a few pentalies, they limited turnovers after making numerous turnovers in their scrimmage games.

Not certain the reason they didn't go down field more with the 1 on 1 match ups they had with their fast wideouts at the outside, especially late when bluefield's tall and fast #19 was lined up 1 on 1 against a much shorter # 3 for graham.

I expect another close game sep. 30th.

My overall opinion on bluefield, with a lot of hard practice and better execution, if qb powell is able to return 100%, then in my opinion they will be a tall order for most of aa teams with their speed at the skill positions, and if they can manage a difficult schedule with the most difficult games early, without their qb, and they make the playoffs they would likely be a formidable playoff team.

I would expect to see them in at least the semi's with the return of their qb if they manage their difficult schedule.

Again congrats to graham though, they also have a lot of potential and also a difficult schedule. But henry is the key to their team in my opinion...

Powell got hurt playing on defense, didn't he?

Just my opinion, unless there is a competent backup ready to come in at QB (no disrespect meant to the current backups), it might be wise to rest the QB and not play him on defense.

I heard that Carter was a good choice at FB, that he got the ball a fair bit, and ran well.

He was injured making a tackle. I agree some qb's shouldn't be on d but in my opinion in bluefield's case it's a must for him to be in the secondary, also with all due respect, that's where they are really lacking, having people who come up with the ability to tackle. Way to much arm tackling in the secondary..

Bluefield's fb is really hard to bring down if he isn't stopped at the line before he gets going. Steptow was also ineligible for this game and he should make the line stronger also.

I heard the QB broke his leg. Big turn for the G-Men then. It would have been different if the QB wouldnt have got hurt. Graham is a good ball team but they have more tallent on the team than #1. MVP for Graham should be #23. But congrats to Graham on the win!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Just my opinion, unless there is a competent backup ready to come in at QB (no disrespect meant to the current backups), it might be wise to rest the QB and not play him on defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but you didn't watch the Nitro scrimmage. During the first half of the scrimmage Powell didn't play defense. He was then put in the second half and Bluefield was a totally different looking defense team. Powell was the only one willing to hit anyone and he got his teammates fired up by doing such. He was the leading tackler in the first half tonight. He was the only one that could bring Henry down one-on-one.

well i guess one good view to the injury for Powell is that if he wasnt much of a ladies man before this, he will have to beat the honey's off of him now, seems as if you are a football player and get injured, no matter if you are popular or not in school, you get all kinds of attention and effections when you get hurt

just trying to look at it in a good way, if its possible

Congratulations to Graham on a well played game tonight, Coach Carlock would have been proud.

On the subject of Bluefield, they have a long ways to go but after one game the biggest problems seem to be a lack of tackling fundamentals on defense. The offensive line also needs to work on pass blocking. Finally I was suprised how conservative Bluefield played tonight, which could have been for a variety of reasons (weather, lack of starting QB in the second half). I honestly do not understand why Bluefield didn't play to their advantages in the secondary as some pointed out. You have 6'0" Ansel Ponder who has a 40" vertical going up against a 5'5" corner. I just don't see the logic.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well considering McClanahan looked to be the starter on Aug 1st I say he makes a pretty decent back-up

Congrats to graham(Its really really hard for me to say that) but I want to be a good sport! And plus the refs called a excellent game! But anywayz I thought Jon Payne had a great game, and Jt Powell had a nice TD run and a nice TD pass! We should get better as the season goes on!

This was another classis, hi intensity game. I hate there is a loser in a game like this when both teams play with all their heart, Graham's defense is really fast but need to work on pass D. Henry had a great game. I dont know if he ran this hard at all last year. He will be a force this year. T.J. carper also is a GREAT player. Give credit to the middle of Graham's O. line. They made some great holes in the middle. All out team effort- what we were lacking last year

GO G-MEN

[ QUOTE ]

And the answer to what happened to JT Powell is...He tore a ligament in his leg but its not to bad! He is out 2-3 weeks

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very optimistic time-frame in my view. I know the kid will get the best treatment possible, but 3-4 weeks for a torn knee ligament means rehab must be flawless with no set-backs.

I give a hat's off to both the Bluefields. I cannot recall a Graham/Beaver (we won, that's what we'll call it) game that showed more class from both sides. Both teams did their schools, parents, towns, and themselves proud. A classic game for many reasons. There is nothing like this night in August.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

And the answer to what happened to JT Powell is...He tore a ligament in his leg but its not to bad! He is out 2-3 weeks

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very optimistic time-frame in my view. I know the kid will get the best treatment possible, but 3-4 weeks for a torn knee ligament means rehab must be flawless with no set-backs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im just going by what McClanahan told me last night

Did anyone else notice how Robert Henry purposely slowed down on that first TD run before the half and unloaded that stiff arm on that Bluefield player? He completely rocked that kid's head back. It was harsh to say the least

the second game is gonna be awesome...its gonna be like loseing the superbowl then being able to go back and re-do it.

I think that this HUGE win for the G-Men will carry them this season. They may surprise some people this year, and with 17 juniors the future is looking very bright for Graham.