Grundy - Richlands

parsons

the richlands defense has looked good the last 2 weeks but now they are going to be tested. Marcum had over 200 yards rushing. Looks like he is back to old form. I look forward to the matchup.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

what is Grundy's Record over the past 4 seasons Lance 0-5 something like that wana make it 0-6 j/k. This should be a great game. I'm off Friday so nI'll be in attendence somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think Grundy has lost 8 straight...kinda like you guys and Graham until last year.

I have seen Richlands practice, I know what you guys have...I have seen Grundy play two games...if the defense shows up like they did last night then it will be a good close game...if the team that played against Clintwood shows up then you guys will be up 50 at the half. Grundy looked good last night against a good Shelby Valley team...they had some big kids and I was wondering how Grundy would stack up against them...it was only 14-0 at the half.

The thing with Richlands is the depth and the way you guys rotate players in and out...Grundy doesn't have that option and in the 4th quarter that gives Richlands a huge advantage...that's always what has done Grundy in for the most part against you guys...how many times have we seen Grundy ahead of Richlands late in the 4th only to watch it go away. Granted some of that has been some crazy stuff like onside kicks that Grundy wasn't properly prepared for and poor play calling in giving Richlands the ball back without running any time off the clock (like running 3 pass plays and out with under 2 min left)...I think the last time Grundy won coming from behind in the 4th was the infamous Tommy Crigger 2 minute drill game.

I think the 4 main keys for Grundy to win are:

(1) defense has to swarm to the ball like they did last night.

(2) Play calling must be mostly runs and high percentage passing to keep the ball in bounds and the clock running. Grundy has to have ball control to win this game. They can't call plays that kill the clock and leave the defense on the field all night, in a 3-and-out situation where the offense goes in and they run Baker up the middle for 2 yards then throw 2 incomplete passes and punt...and leave the defense on the field to deal with the mess...you will see a bunch of worn out kids in the 4th giving up a lot of points. They have to run the ball and keep the clock rolling. Richlands D is to good to try to win a shootout...if Honaker and Gate City can't even score on them...what's that tell you?

(3) No mistakes. Grundy will have to play a perfect game...no fumbles or int's...and if given something by Richlands they must be able to convert it in to points.

(4) Grundy has one player that can score from anywhere on the field at any point in time...if they get down by a couple of scores they have to keep feeding him the ball and he will break one...if they go to the air as much as they did last night against Richlands, the defense is to good...they will be picking off passes left and right all night. Richalnds has an excellent secondary...although they contained the kid from Pulaski, he still racked up 97 yards in 2 quarters against them...you can run the ball on this defesne...it's designed to "give but not break" and Marcum has the speed to break one every now and then...so that's the main key to the whole game right there I think...as Marcum goes, so goes Grundy.

Grundy was 8-2 when crigger was a senior. Our two losses that season were to Matewan and Iaegar, both WV teams.The next season we were 10-0 and if i do believe beat Richlands in the post season as well. So its been a long time. I didnt even know the streak was that long until last season.

as marcum goes so goes the wave!

richlands def. has been very impressive vs the run this season. the gate city kids & bostic from honaker are very good. the blue neck nation will welcome mr. marcums challenge this friday night at ernie hicks.

run on us if you can!

You guys gave up 97 to the kid from Pulaski...and Bostic got hurt early...hopefully Garon stays healthy and gets the ball...even against the big bad blue D last year he still racked up 100+ and a TD so...hopefully it'll be a good clean close game and whoever wins earns it fair and square...if so you get respect...way it should be.

I've noticed that before the reg. season began that many people were quick to point out to Richlands fans that the Pulaski and Christiansburg games were "only scrimmages" and we couldn't really rely on how we played against them to predict the season. But now that the season has begun and we have 2-0 under our belt, people are really quick to bring up those games as indicators of our flaws. Of course we do have flaws, but as others have indicated before "they were only 'scrimmage' games." blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've noticed that before the reg. season began that many people were quick to point out to Richlands fans that the Pulaski and Christiansburg games were "only scrimmages" and we couldn't really rely on how we played against them to predict the season. But now that the season has begun and we have 2-0 under our belt, people are really quick to bring up those games as indicators of our flaws. Of course we do have flaws, but as others have indicated before "they were only 'scrimmage' games." blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point and nice post Photo.

I'm just saying...scrimmage or no scrimmage or whatever...the secondary is very good for Richlands, I don't think you can pass the ball on them without receivers who have great speed (Grundy doesn't)...if there is a "weakness" it's the run. We all know Richlands will score on the ground and in the air...that's given...how will Grundy score? I don't think they can do it in the air myself...if they catch Richlands sending the house in a blitz then a quick hitter to the TE or WR on a drag/slant might help with that but those deep 25 -35 yard fade's and that hitch are not going to do much against the Richlands D I don't think...maybe I'm wrong? That's just my opinion and it's fun to talk about...you guys don't have to agree...lol.

I wouldn't say 'Richlands run defense is a weakness. Gate City and Honaker had less than 150 yards of total offense combined. I think Marcum will get 100 yards but I think they will come in a few big chunks and a lot short gains. What I'm saying is his 100+ yards won't translate into a lot of first downs and long drives for Grundy.

[ QUOTE ]

the secondary is very good for Richlands, I don't think you can pass the ball on them without receivers who have great speed

[/ QUOTE ]From what i saw against Pulaski, they have # 6 and jennings as thier conerbacks.. both are around 5'7. If I was a coach and had a reciever over 6 foot tall, i would be throwing it up every time. I saw # 6 and when he was playing the pass he would turn his reciever inside instead of outside. He got burnt alot by pulaski's recievers, but they either could not make the catch or the qb made a poor throw. But thats just what i saw through 2 quaters of a scrimmage game, correct me if anything has changed.

didn't say it was a weakness...said i dont think they will pass much on them with any success so if there is a "weakness" then it's the run...I saw tape of the Honaker game and the secondary looked a little to "relaxed" at times but I've seen what they can do...just don't think you can pass on those guys that much without speed.

The run though...couple of missed tackles and if Marcum see's daylight he's gone. Question is, can Grundy's O-Line open ANY holes against the front 4? Gate City had a huge line and couldn't do it, but they don't really have a big name RB this year either?...Honaker lost Bostic early so they never really got anything going...Grundy will be your first real test against a top notch RB if Marcum stays healthy and gets the ball.

It should be a good game...I just hope it's not a blow out like last year.

Just a quick note i'll add more tommorow, theres no question about the two defenses and who has the best defense between the two, Clint wood scored how many points against Grundy?, Richlands has averaged 35.5 in two games not bad, how many points has Richlands gave up this year so far?, C.J. averaging al most 40 yards a punt, special teams has helped us getting good field posistion. And one of the biggest things its not the same player every week making the same plays were a TEAM (Theres no I in team) we've took a couple hard loses because of injuries but the next one in line is standing up filling his posistion. BIG BLUE you've worked hard for a year. COMMITMENT AND PRIDE...............STORM IS COMING