VHS at Gate City

cowboys22

I haven't seen the Cats play this year, but I'm sure they're a fine, well coached team. As for GC, there's alot of questions still to be answered. First, will all the starters who were out against Lee return this week or will they still be playing freshmen at quarterback, tackle, running back, and a couple of linebackers. Second, the defensive line has been a sieve in all four games. Our tackles are getting pushed around worse than I've seen since 1998. They're missing tackles and putting very little pressure on the quarterback. Our ends and outside linebackers, likewise, are missing tackles and not turning anyone to the inside. Both corners are giving up long passes by not turning and looking for the ball. Our kicker has missed more PATs than he's made and can't kick the ball deep. Our K/O coverage has been virtually non-existent with other teams average field position close to midfield while punt coverage has been mediocre. Offensively, Richlands shut us down completely, just like everyone else. But even against Coeburn, Pound and Lee, the offensive line has been very inconsistent at the best, anemic at the worse, allowing our backs to be tackled in the backfield and our quarterback running for his life. We don't have a true fullback who can get the tough yards. Colobro is actually using Parks, all 165 pounds of him, as fullback instead of his natural tailback position. Parks is the key to stopping the Devils tho. He's rushed for almost 150 yards a game is averaging over 10 yards a carry.

I don't know. I saw the Coach's show Thursday night, and Colobro told Chuck Newton that there would be alot of new players in the lineup. Only thing about that is that, at least in the past, the show is taped on Monday, so I would assume the injuries happened during the Pound game the previous Friday.

Yall think Gate City is going to kill VHS i dont know because irginia High is really hard to beat Randy White, Stephen Woods, and Big Walt Pearson is the leader of that D and I still say that Secondary is Weak

Yall think Gate City is going to kill VHS i dont know because Virginia High is really hard to beat Randy White, Stephen Woods, and Big Walt Pearson is the leader of that D and I still say that Secondary is Weak

I see Va High winning it. GC is having an off-year, IMO. I watched the GC-Richlands game and GC at the 4 team jamboree. They just don't have what they usually have, that dominance to them. They seem really normal, and VA High winning it.

come out and watch us tonight @honaker and you will find out!! we have got a decent football team-we just need a big win like tonight. also i think the bearcats will git-r-done tonight-they might be able to win tonight and beat the dawgs whenever they play. i think we get a bad rap down here and things are about ready to change. smell you later!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Virginia High does not have a chance..they don't even hit on defense. The Highlands District is powder puff football...come on...va high staying close or beating gate city...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, Lee High did, kept it close that is.... shocked.gif

If the team that played tonight had played Lee last week, Lee would've never been close. It was great to have most everyone back tonight. When you start 4 freshmen and 2 sophomores on defense, you're going to have problems. VHS has a very good football team. Gate City did alot of growing up tonight. They finally showed that heart that had seemed to be lacking. I'm confident that we're on our way back. Virginia High will make some noise come playoff time. I'm confident in that.

REFS? What game were you watching? GC drove it down VaHigh's throat and took the entire 3rd Quarter for one 83 yd drive getting 1st downs and VaHigh got extremely tired on the D line. GC wore them down, plain and simple. Too much Tyler Parks fo VHS. Vhigh has really good skill position guys, but the line is out of shape. They were dead at the end of the third. Get mad at the coach for not throwing more when VHS was up 12-0. They may have won if they had done that.

Bearcats' Carter took the opening KO 75 yards for a TD, then forced the Devils to punt after three plays. VHS gets the ball at the 50 and drives the ball inside the Devil's 30, where Messer lofts a perfect pass to Cook over two Devil defenders. Gate City gets the ball and starts a modest drive into Bearcat territory which ends with an interception inside the 5 yard line after our freshman quarterback forces the ball into triple coverage. Bearcats methodically consume most of the 2nd quarter picking up 4 first downs and have the ball at 4th & 1 near midfield. VHS Coach Smith, at least to appearances, prepares to go for first down, but the Bearcats are called for delay of game and accessed a five yard penalty. Bearcat punter takes a few steps to his right, pretending its a fake, then shanks a punt out of bounds. Devils get the ball at midfield with approximately 2 minutes left in the half. Senior starting quarterback Adam Price enters the game and hands off to Tyler Parks six straight times with Tyler scoring with 25 seconds remaining.

Gate City received the second half KO. Starting on their own 15 yard line, the Devils, using 20 plays and 9 minutes 46 seconds, mainly fullball dives to Parks, drove the ball 85 yards to score the go-ahead TD, with Parks going in from the 2. Bearcats received the kickoff and go three and out. Once again, the Devils march down the field and get inside the 5 on a nice pass from Price to Shepard. Parks scores from the 3 with 5:35 left in the game. After a fine KO return, the Cats have the ball on their own 44 yard line. With time quickly dwindling, they continue to run the ball taking valuable time off the clock. Messer picks up several first down on two or three scrambles on third or forth down. Messer completes a pass inside the GC one,throws an incomplete pass into the endzone stopping the clock, then scores on a quarterback sneak. With less than two minutes remaining and one time out, VHS attempts an onside kick which was recovered by the Devils. Devils pick up a first down, then kneel down for the victory. GC 21 VHS 19.

Keys to the Game:

(1) GC scoring before the half to cut the lead to 12-7.

(2) VHS missing PATs.

(3) I thought the Bearcats were exhausted the entire second half. Couldn't force GC to punt, even at the end of the game.

(4) Coach Smith's clock management. Trailing by two scores with less than six minutes, Smith continued running the ball. Although they scored, it took almost 4 valuable minutes off the clock.

(5) VHS's shanked punt at the end of the first half.

if steve hadnt have gotten hurt you would have lost he is the heart of VHS defense

we had two sophmore linebackers trying there best to sop the devils but that was one hell of a game for the cats

They needed more than one guy with heart. They were sucking wind bad. GC looked like they could play another game, VHS was so tired they couldn't tackle. I couldn't understand running the ball with 6 minutes left and down by 2 scores. VHS is good, but making accusations about the officials is rediculous. The refs weren't blocking, tackling, or missing PAT's.

i didnt say the refs had anything to with it

im saying steve is the heart of the defense other people had the heart but he is the glue of the D

Just like Number eleven for GC as soon as he came in it was like the offense woke up and decide not to get killed the entire game