Bluefield/James Monroe

Sources

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A first round home playoff game at stake for Bluefield in this one. So yeah, it's gut-check time. Win or lose, I think they're in the playoffs. However, having a first round playoff game at home would be huge for this young team.

As for the game, it's the usual question in a game of this series. Can Monroe deal, handle, and contain the Bluefield speed? Bluefield must do two things to ensure itself a win Friday night, tackle and not turn the football over. If they do both effectively then they'll be in great shape at the end. If they fail to do both again like last week then it won't be pretty.

if Blfd loses this game they still may make the playoffs but really, for what reason?/ if ya cant beat JM, then it will be a short extended season, but i expect them to rebound in a big way

Bluefield has certainly shown themselves capable of playing with most of the top AA teams in the state but it will come down to fundamentals. If either team turns the ball over much it will be devistating. Bluefield has speed not doubt but i think we are a more balanced team this year on both sides of the ball. Our starting defense hasn't given up more than 2 td's in a game all year so that's a good thing. It can go either way, i think it will be a 14 point game. I am concerned about playing in Bluefield partly for the home crowd but mostly about the home refs. Hopefully the game will be settled on the field.

[ QUOTE ]

mostly about the home refs

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty funny. It's only Sunday and the excuses are already starting. Are you expecting the same type of treatment that Point Pleasant received in Lindside on Friday night? From what I hear, at least from the P.P. faithful on TSP, the officials made sure they weren't going to win Friday night when the game got close in the 4th.

I'm sure the JM fans don't appreciate that, so should you lose Friday night before you think about blaming it on officials then think about that.

If Bluefield comes in focused and does the right things on the defensive side of the ball (showing heart, making tackles, hitting people), I think the rest will take care of itself.

I'm still hoping to attend the game but it may be up the air since I am being sued and may be required to spend the evening with my legal counsel.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm still hoping to attend the game but it may be up the air since I am being sued and may be required to spend the evening with my legal counsel.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, you should contact Zane Dale there in Bluefield, Virginia... grin.gif

Monroe beats the beavers, no chance for the beavers to make it back to wheeling, they have beat one quality team this year Graham and in reality Graham is not very good..Watched the Tazewell Graham game this year, maybe the worst game I have ever seen as far as talent and speed, I graham can contain bluefields speed, JM will have no trouble..good luck to all

Thanks for that vote of confidence but I am not as confident. Bluefield knows how to get it done, even as an underdog. I think it will come down to who executes and plays mistake free football. However, if we play to our full potential, we'll be fine.

Bluefield wins by three td's.

I'm sorry but if you can only beat a 3-5 team 16-14 and have to have the refs help you out to even get that done, then you aren't the football team your record indicates.

Point Pleasant recovers a fumble, perfect opportunity to score, right? Referees call 35 yards worth of penalties to make it 3rd and 45, including a great play when our tailback Riffle runs for 15 yards, only to have it called back because of an unnecessary roughness call on the other side of the field on our receiver who probably can't pick up a stack of papers 'cause he's so weak, lol. That call made me laugh. Gotta love those phony calls to keep the home team in the game so they don't choke.

I knew if this game was even remotely close, something would happen to keep a team from up north coming into their place and winning. Definitely glad we won't be making the trip there anymore.

Hands down JM was the better team..I was at the game...Physically they mismatched the small blacks..JM was looking ahead to this game. I will give the big blacks credit did play hard however a win is a win...Never saw the headline Ref wins it for home team yet on the playoff Manual with the W beside the opponets name!!

Funny..

every team this season that has outsized the Big Blacks has destroyed us.

Gallipolis, Wayne, Ripley all were bigger and better than us, and showed that on the scoreboard, especially Wayne and Gallipolis.

We were even missing our best linebacker and still kept it close with you guys.

Pathetic. We're an awful football team and still kept it close.

16 points is mismatching? I call it O-VER-RAT-ED. Of course you are supposed to be the better team, you are rated in the top 5. You are supposed to destroy a lesser team like us. You didn't. You had trouble with a 3-5 team that has been terrible all season. Doesn't look too good for you guys come playoff time if you can't beat a weak Point team.

Don't think they are deserving? The closest game they have had was 21 and that was Hoover at Hoover. How are they not deserving? Should they play the sad schedule you play, then would they be deserving? Weakest schedule in AA, that's not a good honor to have.

And no..i'm not jealous at all, just extremely amused that a "top 5" team can't even beat a sub-pair Cardinal Conference team, that's all.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't say anything bad about the Bluefield Barons did you???? grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

We played wayne in 99 and beat them by 40 don't think they are derving of the # 1 ranking...Jealous my man..ha ha just kidding, let em decide on the field you got an L and Monroe got a W deal with it..

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bring up the past?? Its not gonna help u now

I have no idea who will win this game. I would think that the team that plays without mistakes would have the advantage. Regardless both teams will make the playoffs. I don't believe either team can make it to Wheeling this year. To get to Wheeling you will have to beat either Wayne or Weir, as they will be in different brackets.

As far as refs go, I do know Bluefield pays their refs more then JM does...lol

I think willie has made the most accurate statement thus far. Whoever plays mistake free will most likely win. Weir and Wayne are clearly the best two teams in AA. And us poor farmers can't afford to pay our refs as much as Bluefield. grin.gif I will say this however, should James Monroe win out, we have a shot to leap frog Weir and finish second because Weir is open the final week of the season.