Liberty-Bedford @ Richlands

old_school_blue

[ QUOTE ]

If you would watch some tape on Liberty-Bedford you would know what I'm talking about "Blufeield Rules"

[/ QUOTE ]

You can watch all the tape you like, but you should NEVER underestimate an opponent, especially at this point in the playoffs. Liberty didn't get to this point in the season and sitting at 12-1 by sheer luck...

[ QUOTE ]

Stay away from the '92 team, I've got a feeling you know ZERO about that team and less about CLASS! Oh! By the way, the only thing my RING says is STATE CHAMPION! Keep all comments focused on the 2005 team!

[/ QUOTE ]

what........no astrick beside of the STATE CHAMPION? lol

I hate to tell you but we watched Liberty on tape my Freshman year before we played them in the State Semi's and they was a totally different team than what the game field showed an Much Bigger! They passed the ball one time on Grundy and it was a INT only pass they threw all nite! Rest of the game was the Maryland I. Do they still run that?

Coming from VA Preps

A little info on LHS...

...Smashmouth on both sides of the ball. Not overly big. The starting O-line goes Carter Brown(5'11 210), Daryl Roberston (6'3 290), Jason Key (6'2 255), Frankie Keeney (6'2 230) and David Harlow (6'1 235). They are all seniors with the exception of Jason Key who is a junior. They are all two year starters with the exception of Harlow who is in his first year as a starter, although he saw a lot of PT last year. As you know we love to run the ball and make the defense find the football. Damien Dobyns at 5'9 140 is the starting tailback, pound for pound he may be the best football player in the state, ferocious on defense and he wrestles so that tells you what kind of mentality he brings to the game. He's got over 250 and 3 scores in the first two playoff games. He's right around 950 for the season but he didn't start carrying the ball consistently until late in the season when he got back healthy. Mike Riner(5'7 180) at fullback is an ox. He squats over 500 and is the strongest guy on the team pound for pound. He doesn't juke he just runs right at people and at 5'7 its tough to get under him to make a sure tackle. QB Julian Poindexter has led the team well and lately has done a great job(knock on wood, i hope it continues) of leading the offense. Defensively they are led by MLB Travis Tolley(5'10 215) who is a monster, he is always around the football and i honestly think he'll be playing at William & Mary next year, very smart guy who works extremely hard in the weightroom. I want to say Liberty has 6 guys who start on both sides but coach watts subs a lot and keeps guys fresh although at this point in the season everyone is conditioned enough so we may not see a whole lot of subbing. This is a basic look at the team, left out a few guys but i think its sufficient and i don't think i've given anything away. I don't think i'll be able to make it to the game but if i do i'll def let you know and we can meet up...LIBERTY PRIDE!!!

As a Richlands graduate, I'll be there cheering hard for the Big Blue. That said....

Liberty is firing on all cylinders right now. Word on the street in Bedford is that Zach Webb will be back for the game this Saturday, and the Minutemen should be at full strength across the board. On paper, they match up very evenly with Richlands. Having seen both teams play this season, I'll have to give the nod to Liberty in terms of speed. They're a typical Seminole District team -- they're more quick than physical (but this year's LHS team has some hosses in the trench as well).

I do think that both teams will be able to run against one another. Liberty's achilles heel is pass defense. Richlands will be able to throw the ball, provided that McCracken can release it more quickly than he's been doing. He's not going to have 5+ seconds in the pocket this weekend.

The really interesting dynamic to me is that both sides seem to be looking past one another. Listening to Ron Brown on the way back Friday night, I got the impression that Richlands folks are already making lunch plans for Lynchburg on the 10th. On a similar note, Liberty folks are coming into this game assuming that they'll win it because "Region III is better than Region IV." Neither side seems to know much about the other, which should add to the fun.

Definitely the game of the year in Group AA. I predict a shootout, personally. The team that has possession of the ball last wins the game.

I know this post might make people mad. Richlands has a very good team but if the same team shows up against Liberty that showed up against graham you guys will lose. If the team that played tazewell shows up you guys will dominate. The offense looks good but why are they not running the harrison boy also. Alternating him and Caleb Jennings gives Caleb a break. I'm not the coach but this is what i seen in the graham game. Why would you run caleb straight up the middle he's an ouside back. Run harrison up the middle Caleb to the outside it just makes since. As far as defense you guys are awesome keep on doing what your doing. I seen an offense that looked like they were done for the season and had the graham game in the bag. I hope you guys win state you deserve it though. Just remember this is not the regular season and if you guys lose your going home.

[ QUOTE ]

I know this post might make people mad. Richlands has a very good team but if the same team shows up against Liberty that showed up against graham you guys will lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'Dawg fan is correct. Liberty is at least a step quicker than Graham. If the Blues' defense gives up the middle of the line of scrimmage the way it did against the G-Men, it could make for a long afternoon.

I'll never bet against my alma mater (in fact, I've got a wager riding on the game this Saturday), but the Blues need to approach this game with a chip on their shoulders. In fact, an underdog mentality could carry the day, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

The offense looks good but why are they not running the harrison boy also. Alternating him and Caleb Jennings gives Caleb a break. I'm not the coach but this is what i seen in the graham game. Why would you run caleb straight up the middle he's an ouside back. Run harrison up the middle Caleb to the outside it just makes since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!!! I have been saying this since Caleb came back. If one person is your "go-to" man then any team has a chance to key on that person and win the game. We are not just playing any team. I think RHS coaches need to remember the players that got us big wins when Caleb was injured...plus caleb is more likely to get big plays when he is not carrying the ball 95% of the time..Utilize what you have if not you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Wonder if our coachs (RHS) read this forum ?....I hope for the teams sake they do....1992 team was awesome....2205 team is awesome...but this team doesn't seem to have the "fold under pressure" like RHS has done in the past...I say win or lose they are "OUR BLUES" and I'm proud of ya....

I think Richlands has a good chance at beating Liberty--however, I don't want to jinx them. Graham was at an advantage because they had played the blues before and knew who was good and had the chance to be on the field with them. Of course, Liberty hasn't, so hopefully that gives Richlands a better advantage...Like they say "It's hard to beat a team twice." But the Blues accomplished it with both Virginia High and Graham. Let's go get 'em blues!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The offense looks good but why are they not running the harrison boy also. Alternating him and Caleb Jennings gives Caleb a break. I'm not the coach but this is what i seen in the graham game. Why would you run caleb straight up the middle he's an ouside back. Run harrison up the middle Caleb to the outside it just makes since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!!! I have been saying this since Caleb came back. If one person is your "go-to" man then any team has a chance to key on that person and win the game. We are not just playing any team. I think RHS coaches need to remember the players that got us big wins when Caleb was injured...plus caleb is more likely to get big plays when he is not carrying the ball 95% of the time..Utilize what you have if not you are shooting yourself in the foot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope the RHS coaches are seeing these comments.