Super six..

beaverball

Wanted to hear some thoughts on where you think the Super Six should be held. I think it should be rotated between Morgantown and Marshall. What a thrill it would be to be a high school player and not only play in the championship game, but also to play on either of these fields. Yes the stadiums, would seem empty, but who cares, it's for the players and not the fans.

id prefer it be in Charleston, simply for the locale ONLY but id like to see a plan where it is rotated between maybe PHS, BLfd, Wheeling, Charleston and maybe one or two other places, not 100% sure about the college stadiums tho

Hate to break it to everyone, and I'm not trying to stir up anything, but as long as Wheeling puts in a bid they will hold the Super Six. The WVSSAC loves holding it in Wheeling b/c of what the local businesses do for the game and how great the players are treated. Personally, if I were playing in a state title game I'd rather play in front of a packed house and the best HS stadium in the state by far is Wheeling Island. I have been to Laidley and I just don't think it's as nice as Wheeling Island.

it doesn't surprise me that a Weir fan would like Wheeling. it's basically a home game for you guys. I mean I wouldn't complain if the Super Six were held in Beckley and Blfd was in it. The only thing Wheeling Island has on Mitchell Stadium is field turf. Other than that I think Mitchell Stadium is just as nice. I think if Bluefield ever makes a bid it should be a joint Bluefield/Princeton venture. Princeton has the hotels and restaurants and of course Blfd has the stadium. Jut my opinion though.

I'd prefer somewhere in the center of the state so that it's conveniently accessible to all in WV. It is, afterall, WV playoffs. That's like this weekend -- I wouldn't mind watching the AA playoff game even though James Monroe isn't in it, but driving 5+ hours is totally out of the question for me. I can't justify the lost time from work, the drive, and the money to watch two teams that aren't "my home school", even though I'd love to see the game. Nothing against Wheeling, but it's just not where WV State playoff games should be held.

Almost every other sport is towards the southern part of the state, yet people still complain it's in Wheeling. Please don't compare Mitchell Stadium to Wheeling Island Stadium. Turf or not, there is no comparison. And I've been to/played at both places enough. If there was another HS stadium around the state nicer than the Island, then I'd have no problem w/ them moving the Super Six, but facts are there isn't.

Football-Wheeling

Soccer-Beckley

Boys Basketball-Charleston

Girls Basketball-Charleston

Wrestling-Huntington

Track-Charleston

Baseball-Charleston

There is only one major sport where the state finals are held in the northern part of the state. I just don't understand why people don't like Wheeling Island. Wheeling has the nicest facilities, plenty of good hotels, and great restaurants.

[ QUOTE ]

Almost every other sport is towards the southern part of the state, yet people still complain it's in Wheeling. Please don't compare Mitchell Stadium to Wheeling Island Stadium. Turf or not, there is no comparison. And I've been to/played at both places enough. If there was another HS stadium around the state nicer than the Island, then I'd have no problem w/ them moving the Super Six, but facts are there isn't.

Football-Wheeling

Soccer-Beckley

Wrestling-Huntington

Track-Charleston

Baseball-Charleston

There is only one major sport where the state finals are held in the northern part of the state. I just don't understand why people don't like Wheeling Island. Wheeling has the nicest facilities, plenty of good hotels, and great restaurants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said I think Mitchell Stadium is just as nice, but that is my opinion. As for WHEELING having the restaurants, hotels, etc. you are mistaken. The best are in OHIO, where most of the fans stay..

[ QUOTE ]

Football-Wheeling

Soccer-Beckley

Wrestling-Huntington

Track-Charleston

Baseball-Charleston

[/ QUOTE ]

Charleston is HARDLY the southern part of the state. It's the only decent-sized place near the middle of the state. I believe the actual geographic center is somewhere around Flatwoods, WV, but there's nothing major there.

I think most people would take GREAT exception to the comment about Wheeling Island Stadium being the best HS venue in the state, too. It's like Laidley Field in Charleston, just smaller. Same basic design, save for the lack of a track at Wheeling, and smaller granstands (not that it matters).

There is also a problem with flooding in Wheeling. Even with the FieldTurf, the place was a mess last year, wasn't it?

I've gone on record before...the game needs to be in Charleston. PERIOD. No matter what Wheeling dangles before the greedy losers of the WVSSAC. They BUY the game every time.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Football-Wheeling

Soccer-Beckley

Wrestling-Huntington

Track-Charleston

Baseball-Charleston

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said I think Mitchell Stadium is just as nice, but that is my opinion. As for WHEELING having the restaurants, hotels, etc. you are mistaken. The best are in OHIO, where most of the fans stay..

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never understood that. There's almost NOTHING in Wheeling. It's depressing. Nobody eats there. Nobody stays there. What is in it for Wheeling?

I have to guess it's all about gambling. Heard a few things over the years, about the "perks" provided to the WVSSAC folks and their spouses.

i've been to Wheeling about 4 times now, and i think Mitchell Stadium EASILY competes with Wheeling... and there are bids for Bluefield to get field turf, so that might make a difference. however, if Bluefield was to get it, the northern teams would have the same argument that the southern teams have now... the distance. it needs to be centrally located. and the state capital seems like the logical choice. i just wish they (Charleston) would step up and make their field/stadium capable of handling it again.

[ QUOTE ]

i've been to Wheeling about 4 times now, and i think Mitchell Stadium EASILY competes with Wheeling... and there are bids for Bluefield to get field turn, so that might make a difference. however, if Bluefield was to get it, the northern teams would have the same argument that the southern teams have now... the distance. it needs to be centrally located. and the state capital seems like the logical choice. i just wish they (Charleston) would step up and make their field/stadium capable of handling it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Capacity is a non-issue. Wheeling holds just over 10,000, Mitchell holds 10,000. Laidley holds 18,000, if I remember correctly.

Parking used to be a problem in Charleston. There is a multi-level parking deck at the NW corner of the Capitol building now, so there shouldn't be a parking issue. There is PLENTY to do in Charleston, just nothing near the Laidley Field. That area, save for the Capitol and Kanawha Boulevard, isn't nice.

I don't know what kind of turn they have now at Lairley. I think they replaced it a few years ago, but I think it was the old turf that was on the field at Northwestern. They'd need to go to FieldTurf, in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

Hate to break it to everyone, and I'm not trying to stir up anything, but as long as Wheeling puts in a bid they will hold the Super Six. The WVSSAC loves holding it in Wheeling b/c of what the local businesses do for the game and how great the players are treated. Personally, if I were playing in a state title game I'd rather play in front of a packed house and the best HS stadium in the state by far is Wheeling Island. I have been to Laidley and am not impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a player that has been in the locker room, fields, etc at Wheeling Island Stadium I think the atmosphere is great and from my aspect we really did get treated great by everyone

[ QUOTE ]

Football-Wheeling

Soccer-Beckley

Wrestling-Huntington

Track-Charleston

Baseball-Charleston

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres only one major sport held in the south to, which is Soccer

Everything else is held mid-state Charleston

[ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand why people don't like Wheeling Island. Wheeling has the nicest facilities, plenty of good hotels, and great restaurants.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do have to agree on this one...

Even though Wheeling has a really nice facility I think the Championship game should be held in Charleston at Laidley Field..Its really the fairest decision because its not 6 or 7 hour drive for anyone in the state!

Correct me if im wrong but doesn't Wheeling have a contract for the State Championship game through 2007??

[ QUOTE ]

I remember watching what I think was a single A state championship on TV a couple years ago, it was really muddy, didn't they used to play one of the games at Marshall?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless it was before 1997..Thats as far as I can remember lol but I know the State championship game for all three classes(A,AA,AAA) have been held at Wheeling since "97..And maybe before that

i guess it wasn't a state championship lol I know it was a west virginia team in the playoff's though. I remember watching Bluefield vs Poca when Poca had that really good tight end (#4 i think) and the stadium looked really nice.. a lil cold but nice

[ QUOTE ]

i guess it wasn't a state championship lol I know it was a west virginia team in the playoff's though. I remember watching Bluefield vs Poca when Poca had that really good tight end (#4 i think) and the stadium looked really nice.. a lil cold but nice

[/ QUOTE ]

That was either in 2002, or 2003..It was at Wheeling Island Stadium also

[ QUOTE ]

I remember watching what I think was a single A state championship on TV a couple years ago, it was really muddy, didn't they used to play one of the games at Marshall?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the year that caused Wheeling Island to put in turf. I think it was 2003, Bluefield and Poca had played the night before in a snow storm, the Class AAA game was played that Saturday afternoon with the temperatures in the 40s...snow melted, turned to mud, and the field was virtually destroyed. The Class A game was played that night in 8" of river mud at WIS. The next year, 2004, they installed turf and the Ohio R. flooded the Stadium under 9 feet of muddy river water during the football season (in September, I believe).

They still haven't gotten all the mud out of the turf...

rotation every 2 seasons would likely be best, between laidly field, parkersburg, bluefield, wheeling and maybe martinsburg. I don't agree with the title games in college stadiums that would be more empty for wv.

No stadium has bluefield's parking and if they had field turf mitchell stadium would be the best stadium in the state in my opinion.

1 thing about it as for what weir suggested, about wheeling island's bid, is that any other place that bid would offer as much anymore. People suggest that wheeling made the title games what they are, and that might be factual when you consider the game only atmosphere when they were in charleston, but that was back in the late '80s, presently people would offer what wheeling does.

That said, the more I'm in mitchell stadium the more I know that they could really benefit from a better and bigger scoreboard.

As for wheeling's location, last season marked a travel distance from bluefield to the west coast, in ca. in traveling to the title game since bluefield has been in aa and the games in wheeling. This season will make for a big start on the return trip from the west coast distance wise.