VHSL trying to slip one by us...NEW R&R PROPOSAL..

GMan

I agve that a brief look...and it looks so confusing to me. Maybe I have a WV bias, but I feel the WV system is far simpler. All the regions, districts, divisions, it just doesn't look simple and clear to me.

What I do understand about VA football is that there are 6 splits based on attendance. Two each for A, AA, and AAA. I suppose that is Division 1 through 6, right?

I just prefer the ranking system used in WV to determine who goes to the playoffs.

[ QUOTE ]

This may be the best plan that they have come up with so far. I like it but I would say Battle, Lebanon, and Virginia High would not like the plan that well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, best plan so far. V-High will likely ask to remain in the AA Highlands/Southwest District. Also, John Battle and Lebanon will surely want to stay in the Hogo as well. But at least Lee is getting what they have been wanting for years, less travel time and getting to play in a Class A district.

Not sure how the combined River Ridge/Blue Ridge Districts feel about being moved to Region IV...I'm sure they don't/won't like it.

Also, the Piedmont is losing another team, Dan River, dropping to Class A and moving to the Dogwood District.

William Fleming is moving back to AAA and the Western Valley District, reuniting with several old foes including city rival Patrick Henry.

Another good thing about this plan is that the number of teams/schools in each Region is much more balanced, unlike the past several years.

In addition to that, the three biggest schools in this AA proposal will be losing enrollment to schools that will be opening in 2007...that would make Pulaski Co. the largest AA school in VA (with Amherst Co. being a close second).

Guest old_school

I would rather see Carroll Co. go to the the Piedmont and leave Va High in the SWD.

I think Pulaski and Amherst should be AAA and moved to the Western Valley District with Fleming. Their enrollments are around 1500 and it's hard for AA schools with 850 students to compete against them. The enrollment numbers to determine Div. 3&4 AA needs to be adjusted.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it looks good

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a school of 1500 playing schools of 800, it probably does look good.

My alma mater has less than 500 so yea it does look good to me!

Looks good to me. Although, I think it would have been nice to have Grayson and Fort Chiswell go to the TRD and MED take in Auburn and East Mont. I know that the MED would weaken for all intents and purposes, however, it would put all schools in my area of VA on a even playing field as far as size of the schools in concerned.

As far as the AA changes in the Roanoke Valley, I don't see where it would be a major problem. The old NRV district was in Region 4 throughout its existance. I'm sure we all remember the '94 Richlands/Blacksburg regional game. Narrows and Giles had many playoff games with the likes of Gate City, Grundy, and Graham to name a few throughout the years. Also, maybe then the southwest part of VA would start getting proper coverage and respect from the Roanoke Media. OK, maybe that won't happen (I'm not that stupid). But hey, stranger things have happened.

[ QUOTE ]

Southwest Looks like it did many years ago....lol..with the exception of Carroll County and absence of VA High.........

[/ QUOTE ]

And Gate City, and Lebanon, and Patrick Henry, and John Battle...

This is the most sensible proposal I've seen so far but of course there are a few problems.:

1) Are they projecting Lee to have a low enough enrollment for Group A by 2007 or are they letting them play down? If they are playing down I wonder if this doesn't open up a can of worms for some other schools to petition to play down as well.

2) A lot of the schools involved in the LPD split won't like this one bit. VHS and Battle won't go to a district with Pound, Clintwood and Coeburn when all the Hogo schools are so much closer. As someone else mentioned, VHS would opt to stay in the Highlands (or go the merged district) before going to this new Group A league. Personally I don't think Lebanon is any worse off here than in the Hogo.

3) Likewise, Coeburn, Pound and Clintwood won't be thrilled about losing some of their traditional LPD rivals. I could foresee Region D possibly rearranging the districts based more on enrollment, like with the largest schools all being in the same district. I know this was discussed a few years back.

I think it would be best for Tazewell, Grundy and Graham to drop down and form a new Group A district with Lebanon and possibly Honaker; but that'll never happen as long as the powers that be in Tazewell County insist upon having Tazewell, Graham and Richlands in the same district.

Battle and VHS will petition to stay where they are at, and I like the idea of Lebanon being in the LPD, Leb probably won't have too much of a problem with what district they are in as long as they don't have to join the BDD. And what are they going to do with Lee? Will Lee be playing Group A ball in the post season, or will they be playing against AA teams in the post season?

If you're going to split the LPD, why not split it like this:

LPD1 LPD 2

Gate City Appy

VA High JI Burton

John Battle Pound

Lebanon Coeburn

Powell Valley Clintwood

Lee JJ Kelly

This would be a better match-up #s wise. I used JJ Kelly in the second because well....they've been down a while.

Call them LPD East and West or whatever you wish, but the way they have it now pitts Appy and Burton with schools that have enrollments at least twice their size.

I don't see how it is trying to "slip one by us" when it won't take effect for a year and a half. As for Lee, at one point Lee was almost down to single A numbers, and I argued then that they should be allowed to play down, based on geography, SOLs, and the fact that the vhsl was discriminating against Lee due to other schools with less travel time and more of a discrepancy in numbers were allowed to play down in the past. HOWEVER, now that Lee's numbers are way above the single A threshold, it would be embarrassing for them to be classified as single A. The vhsl never ceases to amaze me. Still, forcing Lee into the Southwest would be an economic, logistic, and academic nightmare. This new proposal by the vhsl is mostly an attempt to even up the number of schools in c and d and III and IV.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it is trying to "slip one by us" when it won't take effect for a year and a half.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant by that was they decided to release the first proposal of the "hottest" topic within the VHSL during playoff fever...when not many care what is taking place with the VHSL, while everyone's attention is on the playoff games, in other words, when no one is looking in order to keep the uproar to a minimum...

Personally, I think this plan is going in the right direction, it needs a few tweaks here and there but definitely a step towards getting things balanced and "more equitable" within the overall framework of the classification structure.

[ QUOTE ]

As for Lee, at one point Lee was almost down to single A numbers, and I argued then that they should be allowed to play down, based on geography, SOLs, and the fact that the vhsl was discriminating against Lee due to other schools with less travel time and more of a discrepancy in numbers were allowed to play down in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

What schools are you referring to being allowed to play down? I don't remember any, at least recently. There have been schools like Grayson County in A and some of the large Northern Va. schools in AA that were close but always seemed to be under the cutoff by the time the new cycle started.

For a few years in the 1980s and maybe even the 90s Carroll County had AAA numbers but they were allowed to play in the New River District and Region IV. In order to do this though, a certain number of schools in the district and/or region had to vote each cycle to allow them in.

I assume this same policy still exists because it's been said the Cumberland and LPD won't take Lee. I would think Gate City and maybe Powell Valley and Kelly wouldn't mind having them but the smaller schools would.

If the VHSL "forced" the LPD and Region D to let Lee in with AA numbers, then some other schools in the state could point to that as precedence for playing down.

I think this alignment for Region C and D would be better, the districts have slightly more balance enrollment wise:

Honaker

Lebanon

VHS

Battle

Holston

Patrick Henry

Gate City

Haysi

Council

Twin Valley

Hurley

Ervinton