VHSL trying to slip one by us...NEW R&R PROPOSAL..

GMan

why do they still have Carroll County in the SWD???????

There are 7 teams in the SWD and only 5 in the Piedmont...why put Carrol in with us???

I like having Marion and Abingdon in the SWD, but CC has to go...sorry.

And why is Lebanon staying at "A" and not going to the SWD instead of CC??????

And VHS has more kids than Grundy or Graham or Tazewell...why can't THEY play in that district?

By the numbers VHS and Lebanon would fit right in "district #2" and the travel time would be far less than going to CC for anyone.

and what's up with District #2 crap...they better keep the SWD name alive or that alone will piss me off...throw out what little tradition we have left around her...grrrr.

Should be:

Grundy

Graham

Tazewell

Richlands

Lebanon

Abingdon

Marion

and if you MUST have another team...VHS plays everyone but Grundy on that list already...

I would like to see Carrol Co. in the Piedmont Dist. but I'm not sure they would want to be in it. Most schools in the Piedmont Dist. with the exception of Patrick Co. would be an hour or more away from Carrol Co. and thats up and down the mountain. Is this new vhsl proposal set in stone or is there room for some tweaking?

[ QUOTE ]

I would like to see Carrol Co. in the Piedmont Dist. but I'm not sure they would want to be in it. Most schools in the Piedmont Dist. with the exception of Patrick Co. would be an hour or more away from Carrol Co. and thats up and down the mountain. Is this new vhsl proposal set in stone or is there room for some tweaking?

[/ QUOTE ]

how long do yo think it takes them to get to all of the SWD schools?

That's actually the best proposed setup I've seen for Regions C and D. It doesn't include Galax but they could be placed in the district with Grayson County or the one with Narrows. The only change I would recommend would be putting Holston in the same district as Chilhowie and Northwood just because they would be on more equal footing from an enrollment standpoint as opposed to going up against Gate City, VHS and Battle.

I wonder if Auburn and East Mont would trade less travel for competing with smaller schools? Living in Christiansburg I always get to listen to fans from both complain about having to compete with the larger schools like Floyd County.

[/ QUOTE ]

how long do yo think it takes them to get to all of the SWD schools?

[/ QUOTE ]I don't really know but like I say I would like to see Carrol Co. in the Piedmont Dist.. Maybe they will request it.

VHS does not play lebanon.

I agree with Gman, i hope we will stay AA. games against clintwood, pound, and coeburn just don't compare to games against all the area AA teams. We would be the 4th largest single A team which would mean more playoff success, but I personally would still rather play AA.

didn't know you guys didn't play Lebanon...my bad...i don't really have a problem with VHS going where ever...but if they wanted to add another team to that "SWD" set up...VHS would not be a bad choice...you guys already play most of the teams and Lebanon is only about 40 min away from you guys...so...easy fit....would be a great district i think and solve some scheduling problems for sure.

The VHSL had a lot of schools in Group A with enrollments high up in the 600s and into the 700s, they should do a set number for each class instead of equal thirds, because every time a new AA school opens up in Northern VA or somewhere else, that knocks another AA school down into Single A.

[ QUOTE ]

The VHSL had a lot of schools in Group A with enrollments high up in the 600s and into the 700s, they should do a set number for each class instead of equal thirds, because every time a new AA school opens up in Northern VA or somewhere else, that knocks another AA school down into Single A.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem with doing classifications with set numbers is you may have one class with 150 schools and another class with only 80...what's fair about that???

I've been doing some figuring this morning and this is what I've come up with based on the "latest" R&R proposal/numbers...

<u>Equal 1/3s:</u>

Class AAA: 1561-3236*

Class AA: 749-1546**

Class A: 116-741***

* There are at least 27 schools with enrollment numbers less than 1561 that will be playing up to AAA.

** Two schools currently have enrollment numbers over the 1561 cutoff for Class AAA (Warren Co. - 1658, Lafayette - 1623). However, both schools will be losing enrollment to two new schools that will open in 2007. Both schools should have numbers well below the 1561 cutoff for AAA after 2007. Also, there are nine schools with enrollment numbers less than 749 that will be playing up to AA.

*** Lee has an enrollment of 840 but is playing down to Class A due to travel hardship.

Virginia (730), Tazewell (576), Graham (523), and Grundy (506) all have numbers well within the Class A range. I would not be suprised to see any of these schools drop to Class A in 2007. Nor, would I be suprised if all continued to play up to AA. Richlands and Marion both are around 50 students from being Class A schools as well.

[ QUOTE ]

It seems as if the VHSL is trying to "pull a quick one" in the heat of the playoffs when no one is watching them. They have released a NEW R&R PROPOSAL FOR THE 2007-2008 SESAONS. Check it out and post your thoughts...

After looking it over for a few days, I must say there are some good ideas. But the one thing that was overwhelmingly bad and to me makes it worthless is this.

129-AAA

83-AA

104-A

Until they make the Norfolk and Richmond schools play where the enrollment dictates they play, there is no good system for the VHSL. And I won't even get into the babies in Lee Co who want their cake and eat it too. Pitiful, the VHSL STILL has no guts!

http://www.vhsl.org/MoreAboutVHSL/0709initialRRPlan.doc

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I think this alignment for Region C and D would be better, the districts have slightly more balance enrollment wise:

Chilhowie

Northwood

Rural Retreat

George Wythe

Grayson County

Mount Rogers

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does Mount Rogers fit into this? They do not even have any athletic teams. They do not have enough students to have a team.

Sounds like Virginia High officials are OK with being put in one of the new LPDs. Also sounds like there is no way they will go for the combined Highlands/Southwest District. Also, sounds like there is some objection to Lee being allowed to play in the LPDs with 840 students.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsi...78484&rfi=6

[ QUOTE ]

I just threw Mount Rogers in there because they are a VHSL member. They have a volleyball team don't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

VHSL used to list Mount Rogers in the enrollment numbers...they did not do that this time...