Anyone seen the Hokies 2006 schedule yet?

The O.O.C. games are absolutely PATHETIC. As the 12th game Jim Weaver added another heavyweight, Northeastern; a pathetic 2-9 I-AA team from the Atlantic 10. The schedule is embarrassing and as a fan I'm ashamed. The horrible home schedule has helped me decide not to purchase season tickets for next fall. I cannot see myself paying to watch the likes of Northeastern, Kent State, Dook, Cinncy, and Southern Miss come to Blacksburg. The three other home games against Clemson, GT, and Virginia cannot even come close to saving such a pathetic home schedule.

Sat, Sep. 2, 2006 Northeastern TBA Blacksburg, Va.

Sat, Sep. 9, 2006 at North Carolina * TBA Chapel Hill, N.C.

Sat, Sep. 16, 2006 Duke * TBA Blacksburg, Va.

Sat, Sep. 23, 2006 Cincinnati TBA Blacksburg, Va.

Sat, Sep. 30, 2006 Georgia Tech * TBA Blacksburg, Va.

Thu, Oct. 12, 2006 at Boston College * TBA ESPN Chestnut Hill, Mass.

Sat, Oct. 21, 2006 Southern Miss TBA Blacksburg, Va.

Thu, Oct. 26, 2006 Clemson * TBA ESPN Blacksburg, Va.

Sat, Nov. 4, 2006 at Miami * TBA Miami, Fla.

Sat, Nov. 11, 2006 Kent State TBA Blacksburg, Va.

Sat, Nov. 18, 2006 at Wake Forest * TBA Winston-Salem, N.C.

Sat, Nov. 25, 2006 Virginia * TBA Blacksburg, Va.

Sat, Dec. 2, 2006 at ACC Championship TBA Jacksonville, Fla.

Anybody that thinks, thought, VT was going to be able to schedule a "big time" team with the 12th game is a fool!

NONE, and I repeat NONE, of the "big time" schools were going to come to Blacksburg to play. As a matter of fact, NONE, and I'll repeat it once again, NONE of the "big time" schools are even remotely interested in doing a 1-for-1 with VT. How do you expect JW to get these teams on the schedule when NONE are willing???

You can say, well WVU was able to schedule some "big time" SEC schools for future schedules. Yes, that is true, but I promise you those schools that scheduled WVU are looking at them the same way you are looking at So. Miss., Cincinnati, and ECU...a mere "space filler" on the schedule. Some of those teams that scheduled WVU may change their minds before the games are played if WVU continues its success over the next couple of seasons. And if WVU is/was smart, unlike Mr. Weaver, they'd better make darn sure there is a huge dollar figure as a "buy-out" amount in the contract...VT didn't have any "buy-out" clauses with Wisconsin and Auburn so they were able to dump that match-up quite easily.

Until the NCAA starts requiring teams to schedule "quality" opponents (which will never happen), you are going to be seeing more and more small D-1 and 1-AA schools on BCS Conference teams' schedules.

BTW, I'm going to enjoy the eight home games (and tailgates) plus the trips to UNC and Wake Forest...another season of attending 10+ VT football games for me...not to mention bowl games!!! Its going to be a GREAT year to be a HOKIE!!!

Few expected a big-time team as the 12th game, but even fewer expected a I-AA mega creampuff either. Northeastern just might the be worst team VT has ever played. Why not just schedule one of the local high school teams? I'm sure a Salem v. VT or Pulaski v. VT would have drawn 10x the local interest.

And at least the postgame tailgating will, without a doubt, be fun next season will so many guaranteed wins. Call me crazy, but routing cupcakes gets old after awhile and gets you zero national respect.

Guest old_school

Until the Strength of Schedule plays a lot more into the BCS rankings, I think you can continue to expect teams to schedule cupcakes. A few points lost on a Strength of Schedule doesn't count near as much as a loss. If we want to see Northeastern, Southern Miss and Kent St. stop getting scheduled, the BCS should count Strength of Schedule more. That would force ole JW and other athletic directors to schedule harder teams.

there is one "big time" school more than willing to come to Blackhole next season G-man. That would be the defending sugar bowl champion and preseason top 10 WVU Mountaineers. Remember them? The best win, by far, that VT had last year.

[ QUOTE ]

there is one "big time" school more than willing to come to Blackhole next season G-man. That would be the defending sugar bowl champion and preseason top 10 WVU Mountaineers. Remember them? The best win, by far, that VT had last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who???

This is the weakest schedule that I have ever seen. Miami will be the best team they play next year, but lets remember that 40-3 loss they suffered to LSU. I am not saying Tech should play the whole pre-season top 5 teams, but how about at least 1 non-conference top 25, or top 40. This cupcake schedule will come back to haunt tech in their bowl game. When they get a team that has played a tough schedule and have been tested it will be a blow out.

yea tech has very supportive fan base, but with these cup cakes they are playing they wount be tested, when they get in a close ball game with a quality team i believe with not being in that situation it will have an effect on them..

[ QUOTE ]

lol. You know who!! Why don't VT call James Monroe in 2007. Here they may have an opening..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they were hoping to get Weir on the schedule...LOL

I agree with Gman that JW can't force teams to come to Blacksburg... I've mentioned before that an Alabama associate AD told me personally that the Tide would never come to Blacksburg... BUT I also agree with Rules that this schedule is a joke! Come on, Northeastern? If you're going to play a 1-AA school at least make it JMU, W&M or UR.

I don't completely buy JW's "Nobody wants to play us" routine either. I've many times heard him talk about "Scheduling for Success" and about only being willing to play one "Equity Conference" team per year (this year it's Cincinnati), and apparently he won't go to a school that doesn't have direct airport access (which VT itself doesn't have). I've also been reading that he will only payout 200k when other schools are paying 2-3 times that amount. As for WVU... I think Frank Beamer has pretty much said the Hokies will not go back to Morgantown as long as he's the coach.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

lol. You know who!! Why don't VT call James Monroe in 2007. Here they may have an opening..

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. The weir fans will tell you they have a shot at winning with all their D1 atheletes. BTW where has Weir 57 been. Is he banned again??

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. The weir fans will tell you they have a shot at winning with all their D1 atheletes. BTW where has Weir 57 been. Is he banned again??

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is, I didn't do it. Check with B_R on that one...

guys, i've been a VT fan for 20+ years and i still hope they run the table next year. that doesn't make me blind to the fact that this is an awful schedule. i think most of us don't belive for one minute that Weaver and Co. couldn't line up some better teams if they wanted to. this bull about teams not wanting to play VT is a myth. i want VT to one day be able to win the national championship. with these kind schedules, they won't even get the oportunity. don't forget, the caliber of teams you play has a LARGE impact on recruiting.