grahams scrimmage tonight

ghs73

they did fair lot of people missing their blocks at first but the more they played the more comfortable they became.the scores really dont mean much as you know because of switching up with the young guys but grahams first scrimmage was ph roanoke then william fleming,ph glade spring,gate city we gave up 12 points total in all scrimmages including the 2 last 12 min scrimmages.all in all we did well but have alot of work to do.i was impressed with our defense mostly,we tackle really good so far but its our first scrimmage and the coaches will have them ready for the open of the season.good luck everybody.

I would rank the teams present in this order: 1)Graham, Tied for 2)Patrick Henry Roanoke and George Wythe, 4)William Fleming, 5)Gate City, and 6)Patrick Henry Glade Spring. This scrimmage format is good in that every team brought something different, and each team got to work against a variety of strengths.

Thoughts on Graham. Very sound team, but not blowing the doors off on offense. Defense is very solid. Very sound in basic tackling skills and very physical. Damon and Broyles were inpressive. Some of the things that were rusty should improve in the next few weeks, such as the line being a little sluggish and disorderly in firing off. Cole looked like an above average sophomore quarterback. Arm strength looked great, but some short passes needed more zip. His vision of muliple receivers looked good. How big of star he becomes will depend on how fast he develops in this starting role. But his on the field presence certainly looks like someone more experienced than he is. Yost shined as a receiver, making above average catches. The backs are indeed quick, but didn't show a whole lot of elusiveness. They followed their down field blockers very well, but didn't have alot of cuts and slashes. Just kind of ran in the flow of the plays, but that was effective as big linemen were well out in front. Barraras was a stud at fullback, very strong and seemed to understand exactly what the fullback is supposed to do. He will make a difference in some games. Ball control and protection was very good. I will make a little prediction in that I foresee #1 (whoever he was) working into some playing time with the starters. He knew what to do with the ball and seemed to be ready to play. All in all, I was satisfied, but not blown away. Lots of speed in some of those teams tonight, some really big boys (George Wythe), and some really big boys with lots of speed. That's a little of what I saw, somebody smarter than me may have seen something very different.

[ QUOTE ]

I would rank the teams present in this order: 1)Graham, Tied for 2)Patrick Henry Roanoke and George Wythe, 4)William Fleming, 5)Gate City, and 6)Patrick Henry Glade Spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how I ranked them on the LPD board.

[ QUOTE ]

#1 is dominique lane a freshman.he is fast already.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is definitely quick to the corner...if he gets a little bigger and a little stronger, he's going to be a real good one...

grahams offense was running there tight set most of the night and alittle spread with there screens but most of there passes were from the tight set.... i think that there offense did great with only a lil bit of there playbook.... when the big games come up there offenseive playbook will open up....take my word for it ...they wont run those plays much in the graham beaver game...

yes i agree but in 2 everybody will not look the same,it takes these scrimmages to get the ring rust out.i like our chances this year our defense has some studs.and what about #11 Brewster he is a hell of a ballplayer tuff as nails for his size.

[ QUOTE ]

I heard will cole threw 3 interceptions, can anybody verify that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed the first couple of scrimmages...heard he threw one in those...but I didn't see him throw any for the part I saw...

Yeah defense was awesome they were hitting out there...Tj Carper had a big hit when a reciever came across the middle i would be scared to come across with him there...Bobby west was doing a well done job and Broyles was slow at first but then starting being in on every tackle and gave his own self a concusion but flipping the guy... George damon was blasting the fullback when he came out...and Craig and Jim Ed was doing wonderful jobs of being agrrevise getting to the ball and containment... Jared Bailey was a big surprise coming in and getting a sack...the Scott twins were playing hard like always Ronnie had a wonderful hit of a screen play...The offensive will start blossoming when they play Bluefield cause they will use their play book