'84 beavers vs '89 g-men

84statechamps

I think not...the 89 team from Graham registered 10 shutouts on the season. I don't think Cortez or Hugh would've even gotten into the endzone. The 84 Bluefield team, only beat the 84 Graham team 21-20....come on now... If it weren't for a failed 2 point conversion, Graham would have won that game...I feel Graham should have given the ball to Yost instead of Adkins on that conversion play...Yost was getting 5 or 6 yards a pop at the end...anyway, it's ancient history now.

[ QUOTE ]

yeah i guess your right but do u also realize that bluefield drove to the graham 20 yard line at the end of the game and kneeled the ball......could have easily scored again

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was that damn easy to drive and score where was it in the other 3.95 quarters of play. 21-20 ain't easy.

We have a lot of people on these boards who don't remember so well.

[ QUOTE ]

i would maybe nominate the '97 championship team from Bluefield... that's my pick as the best Beaver team.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that is an interesting angle to this arguement. How many Bluefield fans even consider the 1984 team to be the best in school history? What about the 2004 team, winning every game and scoring 70+ points in the final?

Now on the other side of the ball, how many Graham fans DON'T consider the 1989 team to be the best in school history? I would argue a minority, a vast minority.

One more thing did West Virginia have a playoff system in 1984 or was it that 1vs2 thing at the end of the regular season. Graham had to survive a scare from a good Radford team in the Regional Final to advance to the state Semis and If I remember correctly even a called back touchdown pass (holding) to Lewis Ramsey in the closing minutes to seal the game 10-7.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i would maybe nominate the '97 championship team from Bluefield... that's my pick as the best Beaver team.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that is an interesting angle to this arguement. How many Bluefield fans even consider the 1984 team to be the best in school history? What about the 2004 team, winning every game and scoring 70+ points in the final?

Now on the other side of the ball, how many Graham fans DON'T consider the 1989 team to be the best in school history? I would argue a minority, a vast minority.

One more thing did West Virginia have a playoff system in 1984 or was it that 1vs2 thing at the end of the regular season. Graham had to survive a scare from a good Radford team in the Regional Final to advance to the state Semis and If I remember correctly even a called back touchdown pass (holding) to Lewis Ramsey in the closing minutes to seal the game 10-7.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, the best three Graham teams that I can remember...1989, 2001, 1981. The '95 team and the '90 team were good but couldn't beat any of the three listed above them. Notice that the '84 team didn't even crack the top 5.

As for Bluefield, now these are the ones I can remember, so don't blast me for not listing the mid 70's teams and earlier...1997 and 2004 (tie), 1984. The '84 team REALLY came together as the season progressed and peaked at the right time...their backfield (Smalls, Martin, Coppolo) was as good as any I've seen in high school football on one team. The '97 and '04 teams both were excellent teams with outstanding athletes that could make plays on both sides of the ball.

Do I think the '84 Bluefield team could beat the '89 Graham team...well, on any given day, anything is possible...

BTW, in '84, it was an eight team playoff in WV.

[ QUOTE ]

yeah i guess your right but do u also realize that bluefield drove to the graham 20 yard line at the end of the game and kneeled the ball......could have easily scored again

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh but you forgot, Graham scored to make the score 21-20, missed the 2-pt. conversion to win the game, and did not recover the onside kick...all this happened with less than 1 minute left in the game. Bluefield, while attempting to run the time off the clock, busted a run up the middle against a Graham blitz that took the ball from midfield to the 20-ish yard line where Bluefield was able to take the clock to zero to end the game. That's how I remember it...

Covered this ground many times in different ways.

Anyhow, of course there's some bluefield folks who don't think any of the title teams of recent decades were the strongest bluefield teams. I maintain that the '92 and '96 teams were likely the strongest, but in '92 there was strong aaa competition and '96 saw 2 of the better teams among aa in wv arguably ever with bluefield and east bank.

As for the 84 and 89 teams, intersting game I haven't really thought of much before, but of course I'm biased, but even so I'd argue bluefield's backfield was considerably stronger than graham's, which, was steady and solid, but overall I don't recall any rb the likes of bluefield's on that team or the speed or explosivness that bluefield had. Each team had a strong d that surrendered few yards or points.

The '97 Beaver team beat Graham that year 19-15 on a 75 yard screen pass. Does that make Graham's '97 team one of the best. They only lost to Beaver and Gate City that year and both teams won state chamionships.

[ QUOTE ]

The '97 Beaver team beat Graham that year 19-15 on a 75 yard screen pass. Does that make Graham's '97 team one of the best. They only lost to Beaver and Gate City that year and both teams won state chamionships.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another very good Graham team that didn't crack my top 5...

Both schools have fielded some fine teams and its very hard to say which team is the best. I don't think that Graham's '97 team was better than the teams in '89 '90' '93 '95' or the '01 team.

[ QUOTE ]

what about the 1990 team?the last graham team to go 10-0 in reg.season.they had a good team.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Graham fan I refuse to put any team with "that quarterback" at the helm on any "best of" list.

[ QUOTE ]

The 2004 Bluefield team couldn't touch the 97 one. Hands down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in all reality, Coach Gainers' teams starring Pete Wood and freinds would bury a vast majority of the teams that are being mentioned. You have to remember those two classes put about five or six guys in D-1 football (including a college quarterback), so that's a pretty good indicator........for me at least.

Kevin Yost had over 1000 yards that season (84)...averaged nearly 7 yards a carry (more than Hugh Smalls)...and was named the Region IV Player of the Year. Danny Adkins and Terry Smith combined for over 1500 yards that season......

hahaha - that's funny right there -> "arial fumble"... 'cuz i know exactly what you're talking about, and even got an image.

however, i remember one from Bluefield that could have that same title too... but we all love him now that he's the OC. smile.gif